Anyone added brake/running/other tail lights?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by poondogger, Aug 27, 2010.

1. poondogger

poondogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  3. poondogger

poondogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for Hyperlights used in RTW travel.
    They are less money and very bright.
    They have excellent customer service.
    bill
  5. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    One one of my bikes, I upped the headlight to 100/110 and passing lamps from 35 to 55, and they are wired to be on when highbeams are on.

I recently did the conversion to turn the blinkers into brake lights.

Alot bikes don't have good rear lighting.
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Some came on my bike when I got it. Installed inside the tial light housing. Rhey work OK. I added vastly bighter LED running and brake lights anyway. The real problem in traffic at night is that you tail light gets lost in the sea of tail lights ahead of you, and even with a flasher, people have trouble judging the distance. Some discreet strips of Solas reflective tape solved this for me. I don't want the stuff that's invisible in daylight, I want the stuff that blinds them at night---and the Solas does that. I got a roll to use on my kayak---necessary crossing shipping lanes at night. On the bike, the vertical white strips stand out from eeverything ahead..and they work on the shoulder too with the power off, unlike the lights.

Nothing, I mean really nothing, works for everyone that's behind you. One drunk and you can be badly screwed. At night I maneuver to get someone on my tail that seems to have their head screwed on right and then keep them there as a buffer.
  7. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  8. djg

djg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one red Whelen TIR3 LED on the back for an add'l brake light, and two amber ones up front for conspicuity, on my TDM850, haven't added anything to my new Versys.
  9. Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Life is Good !!! Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    I installed Hyperlights on 2 of my bikes. They work great. They are worth installing.

10. Chilly

Chilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding with someone recently who had added a second LED bar light on the bottom of his license plate, I was surprised how much easier it was to see his lighting. I think it was as much from it being in two different locations, as it was from the brightness factor. So I think you are on the right track. There are all kinds of inexpensive LEDs at the auto parts stores now.
  11. jacbrown

jacbrown As old as my tongue, a little older than my teeth

Oddometer:
    I added a single TIR3 as an extra brake light. Works great. Its almost too much light! In hindsight, I might have used a LIN3 instead. Same package, just a wider visibility angle.
  12. poondogger

poondogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what I'll do exactly but got some great ideas and reviews. Thanks.
  13. dirtrooster2003

dirtrooster2003 Arkansas traveler

Oddometer:
    I have the hyperlites on the back of my klr650 and get positive comments on them all the time about how much it improves my visibility when braking. thinking about putting them on the road king also. like the solas white tape too.
  14. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    I have had them for years on most of my bikes but they must be some other brand cause I only paid 20 bucks or so for them . Dont remember where they came from . SEYA
  15. See-Double-You

See-Double-You Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Just don't go overboard with these things. I followed a guy with so many flashing lights on the back, his bike would light up like a Christmas tree and I had no idea if he was just braking, turning left, or turning right. :huh
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Some of the Givi topboxes have additional brake lights as optional extras. They are faired into the back of the box and look almost factory. I used to ride a lot with a guy who had them. Didn't look as bad as some aux lights and it made him a bit more visible.
  18. poondogger

poondogger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a ticket yesterday, 105 in a 75. Back to work that night at 80 and damn near got run over. I'm kind of pissed that cops don't understand offensive riding. I'll admit 105 ain't right but 80 certainly isn't going to work out either.
  19. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    At least its just a ticket. Over here they would take away your license for up to a month at that speed..
  20. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I run a Lite-Blazer (model 56011) on one of my bikes and am very happy with it. In addition to being bright additional tail and brake lighting (even in bright sunlight) it's also really good at getting tailgaters to back off with a tap of the rear brake pedal.

I got my first one used off of eBay. When it failed(still worked but didn't flash), Run-n-Lites replaced it for only a $10 shipping charge even though I told them it was WAY out of warranty.

http://www.run-n-lites.com/prod-LiteBlazer.asp

I've had Hyperlites too but I've ridden behind both and IMO this is a superior product.