950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. iammemares

iammemares Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CR is right, the bike is very sensitive to technique and weight distribution. I have also learned to keep weight up front. I want to go to a slighter lower bar to encourage this a bit.

The only reason I mentioned the SAGA balance issue is to make sure he was aware of the potential impact of SAG front to rear balance and the related geometry changes. Head shake on my bike did mellow a bit when I adjusted the SAG. When I first got my bike it was set up for a heavier rider and the rear preload was jacked up and thus the rear of the bike was high. Once the SAG was set for my weight and I intentionally ran the rear slightly low (we are talking a few mm), the head shake all but. The change you made CR would transfer weight to the front but also quickened the steering a bit. If one is not use to super quick high leverage steering and riding loose, your change might be problematic.

In my case, I slowed the geometry ever so slightly with SAG, and then make sure to keep my weight up on the tank while riding hard. I had forgotten what it was like to ride a dirt bike until I got on my SMR. That is why that seat goes up the tank. Get up on the tank, keep the front end loaded and hooked and the rear will follow.

And of course, ride loose.
  2. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The only time I actually notice much headshake is when my tank is empty...even then it is only at speeds of 100+ mph.
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I beleive they are interchangeable.
  4. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you,I am thinking of trading my SM on a Adventurer, and would like to take my Akro pipes with me to the new bike.
  5. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    That too!

Jason
  6. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm running lower bars to offset the increase in bar clamp height caused by installing an Emig steering stabilizer. To lower your bar clamps you'll have to replace the stock upper clamp. SD clamps may not work as the offset may not be the same as your SM (30mm). My stock bars are 95mm high c to c and have 95mm of sweep front to inside tip. Here are some of the Fat Bar choices I've come across:

http://www.drivenracing.com/content.cfm/go/handle-bars These are offered in a bend that's 65mm high (click applications for bend details)

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/fathandlebars.cfm

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/ProdottiUniversal.cfm?ID_categoria=4&IDSez=1

http://www.renthal.com/File/product2.asp

Here's a link to a bar disscusion thread over at KTM Talk:
    http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=135&t=344853

Good luck
  7. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    Something that's been bugging me lately.... my chain clatters at low rpms under load. I have it tightened to what looks reasonable for a dirt-bikey type of chain. How much slack should I have?

Jason
  8. Limitless

Limitless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

just got back from my 7000 mile trip around Europe on the 950, which performed perfectly. :D:D

I'm yet to go over the photos but will try and post some up soon. In the meantime I remember seeing a post that gave a run down of all the topics on this super post. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the bike but are there some basic mods I should be doing?

Oh and I spoke with Berg at backroadsmoto.com who has some luggage racks for the 950, has anyone tried them already?
  9. aeronaut

aeronaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I set mine per the manual, and all seems well. (7mm space between the chain and the swingarm, lower side.)
  10. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Aero - is that measurement with the bike on the side stand and unladden? Or with weight on the bike (ie, the rider)?
  11. aeronaut

aeronaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Per manual: motorcycle on side stand [unladen].

"Place the motorcycle on the side stand. Switch the transmission to neutral and push the chain up. The distance between the chain and the swing arm should be 7 mm (0.3 in) when the upper part of the chain [A] is tensioned (see drawing). Correct the chain tension if necessary."
  12. clay

clay CLAY JUSTICE

Oddometer:
    TODAY MY NEW TANK CAME IN,WITH DECAL KIT.BRIAN SAID TO GO AHEAD AND KEEP THE "LIKE NEW" TANK HE SENT ME TO USE.
    THANKS AGAIN,BRIAN.
    CLAY:clap
  13. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I missed that. Only saw the section on checking for wear.
  14. Brinskee

Brinskee V-twins or nothing

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Heading out on a trip and really wanting a windshield. Already got the Air Hawk for the butt, and the Black Dog large rack for my bag/tent/etc. Have the KTM tank bag, and the fastback backpack, figure I'm set for space.

However, I'd really like a way to fabricate or jerry-rig some kind of large windshield.

I'm looking at some of the Memphis Shade universal fit windshields, and am wondering what size bars come on the 950SM? I have no idea, don't know how to measure them, and can't find the info online. Any help? Has anyone done anything like this? :ear

I figure that if I can find a way to mount them on the bars, a little bit of Dremel tool action will allow them to fit behind the headlight... Is this is stretch? Help!

Thanks!
  15. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the spirit that good karma should be kept going...

You probably should send it back anyway- so he can send it out to the next person who has a fuel tank problem.

Or, you can offer to send it to the next person who needs to wait for one.
  16. Hotcorner

Hotcorner Member FDIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too here a clatter of sorts at low RPMs under load. Not right at the bottom, but a little above that. I was unsure if it was the valves, chain, or some plastic rattling. Thoughts?
  17. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the OE front sprocket has a rubber disc over the centre which butts up against the chain specifically to damp out the chain rattle. After-market sprockets don't have these as a rule so check if you have this or not.

Having said that, I have the original sprocket on still (after 10,000 miles) and I still get a bit of chain rattle at low revs in first or second unless I slip the clutch a little...

Part of the bike's character...? :dunno
  18. MotoSteve

MotoSteve Functioning Motard

Oddometer:
    Just pretend you have a dry cluth.

19. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    Meaningless random posting just because I felt like checking in. My neck of the woods;:D

[​IMG]
  20. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Nice pic!!!

Here's my day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*sigh* I'm starting to miss my SM...