Can this newbie be saved...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Trophy Mike, Sep 27, 2009.

1. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of Harleyriders' posts were uploaded to her blog within a few minutes of each other on June 23. So it is basically a historical record of her learning experience up to that time.
  2. roadhamr

roadhamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    holy cow dude! let it go! trophy never refered to the woman as fat that was dakez. he was the one who constantly brought up that she is a large woman. yeah you are right about reactions but mike is saying lets not prey on her because of her physical deficiencies but instead let us discuss how so many new riders are buying these large heavy poor handling touring bikes for their first bikes.
    you keep making statements in espanish and so he jokingly said he would have you deported. i thought it was funny.:D dont be a hockey puck just enjoy!:norton

i love costa rica and wish i was there again now!
  3. Trophy Mike

Trophy Mike w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer:
    Not quite. Have added dates to the Harley Ryder posts here which are only the tip of the 'berg. 61 posts and counting from April 15 - Nov 24 with no apparent secession in sight. View its entirety on http://www.cmcforum.ca. You may have to join the club first. Just don't dare have an opinion.
  4. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    also the cmc guys are clowns for banning you mike. that kind of protective circle is ridiculous. if you dont want honest comments dont post on a forum.
    hey i have had to wade through piles of crap in my posts to find anything of any use. why shouldnt she?
  5. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks Mike.
  6. hitchface

hitchface Coal hating feral hippie

Oddometer:
    I'd say that is a pretty big deal, given the amount of miles on that bike now. The whole clutch system is pretty critical to bike control, especially when the bike is heavy...and especially when going slow. That she hasn't slammed into a car or eaten the pavement yet is nothing short of a miracle.
  7. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    So if you speak French in Canada do you get deported to France or Quebec? :wink:

I read the thread, and know who brought up what. However, DAKEZ or me bringing up large, fat, etc. is very minor compared to talking about a chick in her absence which is far above any levels of asshole-dom I have ever achieved. I am happy to stay out of the thread, so just don't bring me back into it. Comprenez vous? :D
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never said she was fat. That would be an inflaming and derogatory statement. :1drink

She is a big girl and needs a big bike. :D
  9. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's right it was me who said she was fat.

Now for you other FFs who are coming to her oh so righteous defense: Look at the picture. Is she not fat? I mean WTF?

Like I told TM and the mod in the background. This is just a mental masturbation thread. Let's not dress it up as anything else and then cry out at the indignation and unfairness of it all when it is pointed that the chick is fat.

You want dignity for the chick? Then lock the thread and quit talking shit about her since she's not here to tell y'all to stick your penis in your anus.
  10. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    nope you are right my mistake! i appoligize dakez for miss quoting you. i hope you will accept.
  11. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    wow you are so angry man!:huh i am just not sure why?:huh look the chick is fat. i saw the pic she is fat. i dont mind saying it at all.
    she has found something she likes to do and feels she has to share. she put herself out there. mike was banned from the original site for speaking up about the attrocity that she is learning to ride on that clumsy bike of hers being probably 5 foot 2 or 3.
    the sales man who sold her that will burn in hell for eternity.
    i dont know where mike offended you or set you off but i hope you realize it is just the interweb man. cant control it so it just isnt worth getting too upset about. and hey i know about getting upset man. i used to pop off on people all the time on forums online. it isnt worth it.
    i dont want dignity for her. i dont care about her at all. i dont know her. she lives about 45 mins from me though. but she is just a foil for the discussion that she should not be riding that bike as a beginner.
  12. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    I give up. Any more comments to me y'all can do it via PM. Unsubrscribed :fyyff
  13. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    Pedro - you spelled unsubscribed wrong.

Someone needs to get her a pair of boots for Christmas.
    (See last picture)

Are there MSF coursed in Canada?

She really does need more training, but don't we all?
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol3 RIDE RIDE RIDE.
  15. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    I suppose. I haven't been focused enough to figure out how many miles she has, but I'd say by the time someone has about 1k miles on a car/bike they should be pretty comfy with controlling it.

I have a friend who taught herself to drive stick about a year ago, and she is still somewhat unsure of herself with the clutch. So if someone doesn't get focused, proper attention, its easy for people to continue being uncomfortable.

That reminds me, I keep meaning to get my friend to be more confident.
  16. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    ARE YOU SERIOUS? i totally dont understand your hostility. i am guessing this is for the best though as you have a merit badge and some kind of other deal that makes you dangerous i think i dont really remember. no one is going after you pal and this is tantamount to having a hissy fit on the floor of the shopping center.
    i wish you well.
    :lol3 vios condios my amigo!:lol3
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your base presumption is that riding isn't viewed as a distasteful but necessary component of the social scene she's decided to join. To be a "full member" of that group requires she own and know how to operate a motorcycle. It may be that she does so only to the minimum standard needed to become a member of her chosen social group.

I might change the focus of the original question, from "Can this newbie be saved" to "Should this newbie be saved"... or in other words, should someone encourage them to continue riding and improve the skillset, or should someone be suggesting that she's better off taking public transportation.

[edit to add last para]
  18. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Comfy, maybe. Good at it? Not yet- a disproportionate number of crashes happen in the first 5k miles with a new vehicle.
  19. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    So has she broken 5k yet?

(I don't have the patience to read through all her writings.)

::EDIT:: Saw TrophyMike's post on page 3(?) where she talked about reaching 10k. By that point one would think anyone would be competent with a vehicle. Lord, I only have 20k on my car in 3 years, and something between 5 and 6k on my bike. And at least with the car, I am more than comfortable if I find myself sliding sideways in a snowstorm. I suppose I'm resonably competent on the bike, though I'd still like to get at least one trackday down. Trackdays really helped with my ability to drive a car. If nothing else it gave me the sense of how fast things go from me grinning to not having time to say OH S***!!!
  20. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    i think she has 15000kms on the bike now and she is still gripping the bars like they are snickers and someone is trying to steal them. but she has managed right and left turns but she still has to write herself a mental essay to get through it all.
    i dont know if she is kidding or exagerating but if it is half true she should hang up her helmet and get back her bingo dobbers.