Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me.

- Mark
  2. keithm1

keithm1 the bestest

Oddometer:
    i miss my little dizzer
    i wish i didnt have to sell it
    i check in on this thread every now and then to see whats what with the drz [​IMG]
  3. Shastarider

Shastarider Head and Eyes

Oddometer:
    From the other day:clap[​IMG]
  4. anomad

anomad not in storage

Oddometer:
    I mounted a set of Distanzias (pricier as you mentioned) for a trip over the holidays on my 250. I was impressed by the toe dragging handling and incredible gas mileage of (mostly) paved riding with those tires!
  5. boulderado1965

boulderado1965 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2000 S model and am currently considering changing the front springs. I know there is a difference in the 00-01 S model forks. But do the springs interchange? If not, can anything be done besides buying E model forks, or later S model? I would rather not go that route considering how expensive they go for on eBay.
  6. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Make America Great Again! #FJB

Oddometer:

I'm 99% sure the springs are different. Be patient and you'll be able to find the '03 and newer forks for about the same price as a set of springs.
  7. boulderado1965

boulderado1965 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but id still have to respring them b/c im a fat bastard. (200 lbs).
  8. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Make America Great Again! #FJB

Oddometer:

If you're happy with the suspension otherwise you could always have a custom set of springs made.
  9. primate

primate Group W

Oddometer:
    :wave I'm baaaack! After about ten years and a half dozen bikes, I have returned to the DRZ camp. Picked up a black '09 last week, had all of .1 mile on it.....let the farkling begin.:lol3 :freaky :beer :ricky

Edit: No pichers yet, but hey, I wouldn't lie to you FFs.
  10. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    So, where have you been and what made you come back home? :lurk
  11. primate

primate Group W

Oddometer:
    Oh...went touring for a while, got bored with pavement, started missing the dirt, bought what I thought would be a good comromise, (Uly) but didn't like the ergos, then got a KLR and really got back into DSing, but after riding with guys that were on more dirt oriented bikes, decided to downsize even more. I had a DRZ back in '02-'03 and liked it, so here I am.:D
  12. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    I increased my fuel capacity by installing a 4 gal IMS tank for the possible TAT journey this summer. I had to remove the UNABIKER radiator guards as they are in the way of the IMS tank..where the mounting and housing of the radiator guards will tend to eventually rub a hole into the IMS tank.

What I also noticed that the shrouds of the IMS tank hold fuel but have no way of crossing over into the well of the petcock area. It seems that I will only be able to siphon about 3.8 gallons unless I tilt the bike steeply sideways or run up a sharp incline. Any of you have the same problem??

[​IMG]
  13. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Clarke has the same issue, but I've heard to a bit lesser degree, perhaps because the lobes don't go so low. Some folks have installed a 2nd petcock on the right side but at least on the Clarke, it doesn't appear you gain more than a couple tenths and my Clarke already exceeds its advertised 3.9 gallon capacity without any special gyrations to drain the right side. (I've been able to pump 4.06 into the tank without it running out.)

I view it as a couple tenths second "emergency reserve" accessed by tipping the bike. Having this side available without tipping doesn't seem worth the trouble of installing a 2nd petcock.

- Mark
  14. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same tank and have observed the same thing. I wish I had gotten the Acerbis 4.25 gallon tank as it has dual petcocks.
  15. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    Believe me when I say this: It's a very nice "reserve" feature because you can run in the reserve position for 50 miles easy with the IMS tank. so when it finally putters out on you, tilting it will get you another ten miles down the road.
  16. rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer:
    Or as I call it "Super Secret Reserve"
  17. purelick

purelick DIRTRIDER

Oddometer:
    Got my DR in "06" felt like a slow to respond, out of control rocket. when I open the air box, put a pumper carb on it, change the gears, got lighter fly wheel, IT CAME TO LIFE! :ricky It will go anywhere. I LOVE MY DRZ :jump Who says its not a dirt bike.
  18. Iceveign

Iceveign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question about the drz400. I see they have the E(2007) the S and the SM. The E says it has a wet sump and the other two a dry sump(reason?). Is one better than the other, for dual sporting should one go for the E or the S? I'm a little confused at what I should be considering here, and I see that the E is also lighter and would need a dual sport kit, correct?

Thanks
  19. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be news to me if the S and E have different oiling systems. Both use the same oil-in-frame dry sump system AFAIK.

My view is that if you want a dual-sport and not a trail bike, then the S is the better way to go because it comes out-of-the-box equipped more for dual-sporting: full electrics, rear subframe, rad fan, speedo, pass pegs, higher gearing, runs on regular gas, etc. And it can be licensed anywhere/everywhere as opposed to the E where licensing can be easy or hard depending on the state you're in.

Having said this, you do get more power with the E and up until 2006? (not sure about the exact year), you got a carb that was much better for dirt riding (but that required more jet fiddling with altitude changes and generally gets worse gas mileage). And the E is lighter, but keep in mind you'll give up some of that when you add stuff to it to make it legal and conversely, you'll save weight if you add a plastic tank and strip stuff off the S. Comparably equipped with both used as dual-sports, I don't think the true weight difference if more than 10 lbs or so.

This subject has been debated here a bunch and for hundreds of pages over on thumpertalk so do a search and you can read for hours. But my overall opinion is that - surprise, surprise - the S is the best dual-sport, the E the best trail bike, and the SM is the best pavement bike. IOW, Suzuki knew what they were doing.

- Mark
  20. Iceveign

Iceveign Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, I just got through reading some posts on thumper talk. Some say E and some say S. As far as the wet sump vs dry sump, when you go to the Suzuki web site and click on the drz400e specs it brings up all three bikes for comparison and said the E had a wet sump.