CB1000 "the big one " Info WTD

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by justrider, May 12, 2011.

1. Urban_Traveler

Urban_Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You thinking about switching from the Kerker?
  2. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Not sure. Just thought I would take advantage of getting a stock exhaust and trying it. The Kerker is a nice system.
  3. Urban_Traveler

Oddometer:
    TT RDHS, Where did you get the frame sliders? Thanks.
  4. Urban_Traveler

Oddometer:
    In case any of you guys need parts I have a few things I am willing to sell from my CB 1000, sorry can't afford to do freebies right now :shog. Stock seat $50 plus shipping (excellent condition, no tears or marks). Stock mirrors $25 (excellent condition). Stock signals $15 for 4 (usable condition). Stock muffler w/ heal protector - $35 plus shipping (very good condition, small dent on bottom that cannot be seen when on bike). PM me for pics and/or info.
  5. kingrukus

kingrukus Noobish

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum here....I love all the pictures!! Great Stuff!!

I have a 95' CB1000 with about 10k miles on it, I have owned it for about 3 months. Yesterday after a short 15 mile ride I noticed a small amount of oil on the plastic sproket cover right underneath the alternator/generator. It looked to be kinda sprinkled there rather than a drip. I felt the bottom of the alternator and there is also a small amount of oil there. Has anyone else had this issue? Would simply replacing the o-ring seal take care of this slight leak?

Another point I might add here is on my ride I did strecth the bike out a bit....I ran it up to 8k on the tach 1st thru 3rd gear so I was pushing it a little....could that have caused the oil to spray out?

Other than this small issue, the bike is fantastic....super comfy, super smooth and runs like a Swiss Watch! I will NEVER sell this bike! :D
  6. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    Did you oil the chain before you rode?
  7. DELTATANGO

Oddometer:
    I have one. It is my basic ride. It's big, I'm kind of big. It has a 5 gallon tank. It's nice in the Summer when it's hot and you want a lot of air. It is not as fast as the newer insanacycles, but has 100 horsepower. How fast do you want to go?

I'm looking at putting on a bat wing fairing for the Winter. And i would like to get a header to replace the resonator exhaust system.

It has 18" wheels which limits your tire selection. I got a Battlax which is excellent. Some people put on 17" wheels. From what I understand they are an easy swap from some bike. I don't recall which one.

It is a UJM, bulletproof, Honda.
  8. kingrukus

kingrukus Noobish

Oddometer:
    I oiled the chain about 300-400 miles before this started to occur, but looking at the oil and where it is I don't think its possible for it to have come from the chain. Its on the outer plastic sprocket cover right underneath the alternator. Behind that cover is another cover that holds the clutch slave and also covers the drive sprocket completely. Also, what I have leaking is engine oil for sure.

There is a $6.00 seal inside the alternator I am going to replace this winter, hoping that takes care of the problem.
  9. DELTATANGO

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I went into that area when I replaced the chain. (note to self: align the little drum that drives the speedo instead of crushing it)

Make sure it isn't the slave cylinder. Good luck.
  10. kingrukus

kingrukus Noobish

Oddometer:
    Hello there,

I am having a hard time trying to find the proper procedure for checking the oil level in my 95' CB1000. I have a service manual but not an owners manual, it doesn't say how to check it just what the capacity is. My question would be: do you check the oil level with the bike on the side stand or do I need to stand it upright for proper level? Most bikes I have owned in the past had a sight glass to look through not a dipstick, but with the site glass you had to stand the bike up into a riding position for correct check. Any help would be awesome, also...if anyone knows where I could score an owners manual that would be great too! Thanks!:D
  11. DELTATANGO

Oddometer:
    1. Center stand
    2. Remove dipstick
    3. Wipe
    4. Reinsert dipstick (do not screw in)
    5. Observe
  12. kingrukus

kingrukus Noobish

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply!:D

That poses a small problem. My center stand was removed by the PO to install a full Vance & Hines exhaust. Do you think I would get the same results with it on my rear stand? It lifts from under the swingarm.
  13. Urban_Traveler

Oddometer:

Owners manuals can be had for about 30 bux on ebay. I picked one up and it has helped quite a bit.
  14. Urban_Traveler

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd post it here due to this being a CB1000 specific post...got together with a fellow member Bobdot on Wed. to put in a stage 1 jet kit...the bike is taken apart a bit due to getting a new tank and a few other goodies, so better now than never...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As she sits in my garage...

[​IMG]

I'll post completed pics, but I'm doing my best to get pics of many in between steps...love this bike.:D
  15. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice photography, man. :freaky

Keep it coming.
  16. bobdot

bobdot n00b

Oddometer:
    Yea Dan, get over here with your fancy camera, I've got things to show...

bob.
  17. bobdot

bobdot n00b

Oddometer:
    He was getting some decel pop due to the K&N and more free flowing slip-on so a stage one was in order. I've just now completed the 17" swap over you speak of, caught your post on the hawk forum. I'm interested to experiment with the CBR interchanges. Luckily I have a dyno to play with so I hope to document some actual results. Looking forward to seeing the difference between my bike and Urban_Traveler's once I get rolling again.

bob.
  18. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :evil

That was mine...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Urban_Traveler

Oddometer:
    The jetting turned out to work great, no more pop and getting slightly better gas mileage 33-35 ish (I was consistantly around 31). I think cleaning the K&N helped as well, it was filthy. I have the Viper can from Fly-N-Cylce and am very pleased with the sound and install. I've put about 350 miles on with the few changes we did over the winter and she runs like a dream, all thats left is new tires. I'm liking the current 18's, but the more and more you guys talk about the 17's gets me thinking...Bob bike looks sick, let me know when you're around and I'll bring the camera. I need to post completed pics of mine as well, the red is so lovely, ha.

Oh, and TT-RDHS I found the frame sliders, they were by GSG Moto, and they fit great, although they did take 6 weeks to get from Germany.
  20. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you found some...

Hope you never need 'em!!!

:beer
    TT RDHS