Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #571
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
Yup, Finnish. Tapio was a relative. My grandad dropped our 2nd "k" to be more unique in a community of Finns. I'd like it back!

30's great!!
That's awesome! I'm envious. I have a thing for Finnish design.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #572
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Hey Bug, I don't know if you ever got your registration figured out, but
here's something to check out..........post #8057

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...01349&page=538
Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #573
Travelbugblues OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
For those interested in an update, now that I'm home, see below. In short, it's been damn hard. A few times a week I just wish I could get back on my bike and go... Then again, that's not so far fetched now is it

With each rotation of my squeaky wheels I was closer to home. I had journeyed so far for so long, yet time had flown by like it always does, and I was suddenly nearing home turf. Memories drifted by. The crisp cold of the Andes Mountains, kids waving from dilapidated houses, guanacos fleeing and bounding over fences like oddly shaped ballerinas, thunder and rain storms raging in the tropics, getting soaked to the bone by giant warm drops, lightning bugs flitting around a small cabin in the dead of an Ecuadorian night. It was almost as if someone else, or something else, deep within, watched those memories float by, weaving a long and tantalizing tale spanning so many thousands of miles, places and faces. Utah and Idaho rolled quickly by, and just over those mountains and around the corner, I’d be home. The long wiggly line I had drawn across the continents was coming to an end.

———————-

It’s now been one month since I rolled down the driveway where dad taught me how to ride a bicycle and tie my own shoes.

With my family again, I wanted to hide from the world for a while, enjoy coffees with my parents, rest and sleep. I had just finished the biggest adventure of my life, and I wasn’t ready for the end. Everything was harder than I expected. I was so happy to be with my family, but was constantly tantalized by the memories of the adventure, the miles uncovered, the people unmet, the places yet undiscovered. The travelbug-blues set in with deep roots. But I knew in my gut it was time to ‘settle down’ and try to live a ‘normal’ life at least for the time being. I made a few plans and goals; I continued with the guitar, and even attempted to sing a couple of songs. I talked myself into waking up at the ungodly hour of 6:15am in order to have a leisurely breakfast in the dark early morning, read, write, or just sit and think. I was overscheduled on my initial return, and for weeks I struggled with having too much to do and too little time. My fantasies of returning home with nothing to do but write and rest were impossible to fulfill. But the mornings were a short reprieve from the world, the bustle and the noise, and in the quiet and misty still of pre-dawn in the Pacific Northwest, I had a few moments to sip my coffee by the glow of a fire and talk with dad about meaning and purpose. I was often hit by waves of nostalgia and sadness that the trip was done. I wasn’t ready to plan the next phase of the adventure- I just wanted to learn to be content being at home for a time. Soaking in the experiences I had just had.

School started. I was expecting semi-chaos and total exhaustion, but instead found my students to be nowhere near as tiring as the road, the constant travel and pandemonium that makes Latin America and adventuring so unique and special. My students were interested, engaged, and constantly asking, “When’s your book going to be done?! I have to read that book!” or “When do we get to see your motorcycle?!”. Teaching became more rhythmic, and I even found myself wanting Sunday afternoons to turn to Monday mornings. In the classroom I was distracted from my geographical confinement and my spirits were lifted by their enthusiasm and humor. “Buenos dias senorita como esta muy bien y tu?” A student flung this nonsensical phrase at me every time I passed him in the hall, until I realized he wasn’t actually trying to be funny and just needed a quick lesson on greetings.

I was home, and although this part of the trans-continental journey was done, a new kind of adventure was unfolding; an internal search and voyage was about to take place, the space and time to reflect and decompress, and the beginning of a book- a travelogue- that would span the length of the Americas through space, time and self.

I hope the ADV folks on here know how much their support has meant to me. Thank you all, and until next time!!
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #574
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,111
It's likely we're more aware of how much your travels have meant to us. A million
thanks for taking us along.

Looking forward to next time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #575
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 490
With each passing year my post-trip melancholy seems to last longer. I've discovered,however, that the best tonic for snapping right out of it is starting a plan for a new adventure.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #576
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Thanks for the update. I think it is great that you are working with kids.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #577
thepackrat
i can ride that

Oddometer: 36
love the follow-up. Reminds me of my first foreign adventure to New Zealand on a CG125 a Looooong time ago. The three months on that little bike was the best thing I'd ever done. I get the same reaction every time I arrive back home from an expedition. Six weeks ago I returned from the Trans Lab loop, and didn't want to stop. The following day I was offered a part time job driving the local college's sports team bus. Right now I'm in the middle of a six day golf tournament in Quebec City watching every bike that passes by. It's a disease I don't mind having. Ride on! and thanks for your report.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #578
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Enjoy what you can, while you can. Love your story and writing.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #579
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 164
awesome¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Hi, you are a ameizing girl........keep goin, if you go to mexico, send me a msn and i w'll help whereever you need......zacatecas zacatecas mexico,
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #580
Backoutonthehighway
Blame it on my 80HD

Oddometer: 604
Amazing trip and RR, TBB! Thanks for taking us along. Will be waiting for the next installment!
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote