Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Duckdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Do i need The Montana?

hi i am looking to buy a gps i can use on my ktm 990 as well as in my truck. i want the best most reliable gps i can buy. i was looking a the garmin 660/665 becuse my bike has a touratech mount already on it for that gps. but after reading about it i am not sure that it is all that great and for $799 or so for the 665lm it should be pretty great in my opinion. but that does not seem to be that case.

Ill be using the gps for driveing on the road mostly but i think i like the features of montana. so what would i need to get the montana all set up and ready to go. ie (maps, mounts, stuff) also will it blue tooth turn by turn?
Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
also will it blue tooth turn by turn?
The Montana is an awesome gps; the best you can get for the moment (IMHO) but it does not have Bluetooth. It does have an audio line out from the Rugged Mount and some people pipe that into a BT dongle, and send it to their intercoms, but you might want to wait for the Monterra if BT is important to you.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Love my Montana on my KTM 950. I don't think I could have bought a better unit for my bike and for what I want it to do.. Buy it from River Pilot. He is a GPS Guru and has given me so much technical information that I am a more than satisfied customer. He has even contacted me out of the blue and asked me how things were going and if I had any questions. Best part is he explains how to use functions on a very basic level if that is what you need.. Get the Montana. You won't regret it..
lacofdfireman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
a car mount and city nav maps will give you spoken instructions(from the mount speaker,the montana doesnt have its own)
Old 07-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Quote:
hi i am looking to buy a gps i can use on my ktm 990 as well as in my truck. i want the best most reliable gps i can buy. i was looking a the garmin 660/665 becuse my bike has a touratech mount already on it for that gps. but after reading about it i am not sure that it is all that great and for $799 or so for the 665lm it should be pretty great in my opinion. but that does not seem to be that case.

Ill be using the gps for driveing on the road mostly but i think i like the features of montana. so what would i need to get the montana all set up and ready to go. ie (maps, mounts, stuff) also will it blue tooth turn by turn?
I went to hand held trail devices only because I needed to create and transfer tracks to it. I've bought tracks from Tony Heugel and then rode them. I first had a 60Csx and now a Montana 650T.

For routing and finding things, I think any waterproof automotive GPS is more handy to use and easier to read.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
If you can wait a few months, I'd just hold on and wait for the release of the new Monterra and see what people have to say about it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Duckdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ok thanks for the info! Are the zumos ok or are they junk? I have a garmin car nav and it was less then impressive. it worked ok but sometimes It would take you some crazy was to get to where you wanted go. Then again it could have been the something I did to it I thank it got really hot a few time. It kind of burnt me on garmin but the seem to be the go to for motorcycles. Any thoughts?
Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,892
Quote:
Ok thanks for the info! Are the zumos ok or are they junk? I have a garmin car nav and it was less then impressive. it worked ok but sometimes It would take you some crazy was to get to where you wanted go. Then again it could have been the something I did to it I thank it got really hot a few time. It kind of burnt me on garmin but the seem to be the go to for motorcycles. Any thoughts?
Any gps can make stupid routing choices. That's why I like to use mine as often as possible and try it in day to day routing where I already know the best way, to see what kind of route it plans. We don't know anything of substance yet on the Monterra, but the Montana is likely to be Garmin's starting point for the Monterra, and we do know a lot about that one.

And any gps is only as good as the maps you put on it.

That said, a lot of people like their Zumos, but others have sold theirs because the Zumos tend to give you few options of any kind, and their display isn't as sharp as the Montana.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
The ZUMO's although a bit long in tooth now are the best routing GPS available at the moment. But like I said, if you can wait just a bit that could possibly change.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote