Helmet headphones?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by focallength, May 7, 2014.

1. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    ive tried all the standard ear buds and variants,nothing truly works well enough, often theres too much wind noise or they wiggle out of my ears(s).

So, anyone got anything that works w/o a visor? Do I need to get some $100 noise cancelling head phones?
  2. firstr8

firstr8 Walter Mitty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got a custom set from Alienears.com
    The earbuds are hard plastic, but that is a good thing as it makes putting on and removing the helmet easier.

The custom fit makes the sound better, and blocks a lot of noise.

You can DYI the ear impression, or for $40, you can stop by an audiologist and get a set of impressions made.

I went for the C2, since they were on sale, only slightly more than the base model.

I also opted for the ear plugs, no tether. More of a soft plastic.
    Great for running a saw, leaf blower, lawn mower, very comfortable.

All made from same set of impressions.

My one ear canal is a little kinky, had to send one back, they tweaked it just a bit, free of charge.

Good Service....
  3. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    http://www.aerostich.com/electronics/audio/helmet-speakers/3d-bass-helmet-speakers.html

I bought these years ago, because I find ear buds uncomfortable and they also block out too much noise with these you can hear music but still hear the bike's engine and road noise as well. I didn't find they were load enough riding at highway speed on a non-faired bike. Although they could be fine on a bike with big windscreen....

FWIW I bought mine new on eBay or Amazon for like $10-$20....
  4. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
  5. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. cafebmw

cafebmw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Roadrunner likes this.
  8. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    They're nice to have on long airline flights also.
  9. Robert K.

Robert K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use the JVC Marshmallow Headphones. The sound quality is excellent and they stay in place. They also do not break the bank. With my Iphone turned up all the way, it is LOUD! Even while riding.

[​IMG]

Even on High, they keep the sound directed at YOUR ear, not the person sitting next to you's ear. That is nice.
  10. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using in-ear buds for a decade or so and the silicone triple flange ear plugs have been by far the best for sound isolation and retention.

http://www.earplugstore.com/roauprtrflti.html

Then again, I use modular flip-up helmets and the ability to pull the cheek pads out a bit (vs regular full face) when donning really helps clear your ears.
  11. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

I got mine from them many years ago (when they were a little less spendy)during Daytona Bike Week. Absolutely the best I have used but they have finally succumbed to the abuse of getting caught up in Hemlocks when I am on the lawn tractor, I guess having them pulled out by the cord so many times was just too much. If I were riding more and keeping the neighbors lawn trimmed less, I would get another set.

Bruce
  12. Stretch67

Oddometer:
    I understand BigEarInc has pretty good customer service. They might repair yours for considerably less than the cost of a new pair.
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should look into that. They use nice, supple (comfortable) wiring but I doubt they ever expected it to stand up to getting caught on tree branches while mowing. The outside is intact, just no sound.
    Thanks.

Bruce
  14. Nico

Nico ruff

Oddometer:
    Didn't Putts used to have some insight into this? Not sure if it's still his thing. Might be worth searching threads he's started.
  15. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shure makes a couple of great models. The E2S is the least expensive I have tried and I really like them. I have used them for years.