2015 KTM 1000 Adventure?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by tangerine, Sep 4, 2014.

1. tangerine

tangerine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. evermore

evermore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reading the article, the magazine seems pretty sure about this prediction, nothing in the way of hedging its bet. I sure hope they are right!
  3. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Translated version....

"The KTM 1290 Adventure Super surprised us . The 1190er Adventure is already enormous motorized , including another model with more power ? But in the 1290s , the power is not standing so much in focus. Rather, the touring bike will come up with a very generous amenities . Large tank , innovative headlamp technology and in addition to the MSC additional electronic features have been announced . It would be logical to play the games in the other direction .

" Small " Adventure with less features and better price in 2015 ?
    While international hacker gangs currently focus on the procurement of nude photos of various celebrities , we have our informants tapped at 1000PS in the motorcycle headquarters . As it stands currently additionally comes to cracking or even 1190 Adventure Adventure R not only the great Super Adventure but also a somewhat scaled-down smaller Adventure . The displacement will move somewhere between 900 and 1100 cc . A small step back one goes not only in the Motorosierung but of course also in the rest of the equipment by the vehicle . Overall, a somewhat milder price is then determined so be recoverable.
    Single-cylinder fans will probably prefer a little more adventure to LC4 basis , but larger quantities can be achieved determined by a two-cylinder . Even at 4 weeks, we will take the KTM stand at the INTERMOT with the 1000PS camera all news targeted. Stay tuned !"
  4. CaliBerger

CaliBerger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If KTM made a light adventure bike in the 700cc range with a parallel twin engine similar to the Yamaha FZ-07 (689 cc, Parallel Twin, 75 HP/50 TQ, 58 mpg) they have a winner.
  6. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Why do people always claim this? The market for lightweight 700cc adventure bikes is miniscule. Every single European "Adventure Bike" comparison would complain that the 990 was "underpowered" and the 21" front was too "vague" in the twisties. The money is in the pavement side of adventure bikes and there isn't much need for a light 700cc bike there.

I read somewhere that KTM USA sold 100 640 Adventures per year in the last 3 years of production. OK, so it was vibey but I presume there is a reason why KTM hasn't brought a 690 Adventure into production.
  7. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should have said winner in my eyes.

I was just stating my preferences/wish list.

I know that there is not too much dirt in Europe and that 90% of the Adv rider market is composed of street queens. This is why the big street oriented GSs have been so popular.
  8. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Mine also. Just can't see it happening.
  9. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Though the Tiger 800 and BMW 800 seem to sell well, so there is a market. I don't see KTM doing it, but mid displacement twin with better offroad capabilities would be nice. Maybe somewhere around 950cc in a v twin config. (Oops, I already bought one...)
  10. paidoutcomes

paidoutcomes Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    If KTM came out with another 900cc ADV bike that would be cool.

However, as it is, the 1190 (212 kg) isn't much heavier at all than an F800GS or Tiger 800XC (~191 kg).

The KTM offerings are traditionally in another league weight wise than the competition. If they could build a 900 thats 100 pounds lighter than an 1190, that would warrant doing so, but it would really be tough from an engineering standpoint IMO. Simply downsizing CCs doesn't magically drop the weight of the bike significantly when you are working with the same basics engine design. The 1190 is only 15 or so pounds heavier than the 990 was.

Their 690 isn't much heavier than Japans latest offering for small DS bikes, the WR250R.

I also would love to see more options, but it might be a tough sell here in the US.
  12. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    I was curious how the weight of the 690 motor compared to one of the often mentioned Japanese 650cc twins. Anyone know?

How accurate are BMWs specs? They claim "Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled" are 525 lbs (238 kg) for the R1200GS and 472 lbs (214 kg) for the F800GS. The 1190 is 212kg wet but without fuel which is about 2.75 kg/gallon.

The F800GS as mentioned is the counter point to the argument that there isn't a market for "lighter" adventure bikes but maybe it's because the R12 is such a porker :D

Still, I agree, I can't see KTM making major weight savings (given that riders probably still want the same luggage and passenger capacity) with just a smaller displacement twin.
  13. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Reading the 1000ps article, it seems it's more about a simpler & cheaper bike.
    Lot less powerful, no traction control, no MSC, no electronic suspension I would say. Probably a bit lighter, but not in a spectacular way.
  14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    That could be enough to draw me out right there.
  15. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it'll come in a 21"/18" package or if it's just going to be focused at street riders on a budget. It'll be interesting to see what gets released. I wonder if the side-mounted tanks are forever a thing of the past due to the swelling/fitment issues? The 9x0 is really an iconic design like the Ducati 916, the 1190 styling leaves me stone cold.
  16. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Agree completely.
    I enjoy immensely my 1190R, which is an amazing execution of a quite common design, but I'm dissapointed they didn't carry some layout ideas from the 990.
    While the 1190 is not very far from the 990 when it comes to frame and engine, in some ways it just goes back to my previous 640 Adv (top heavy tank, under the seat battery etc).
    I feel the 9*0 series was ahead of its time when it comes to layout and ergonomics, and a big part of the public failed to value the advantages of its design compared to the disadvantages. I'm amazed by some of the flak the 9*0 used to receive, even on this forum.

PS. I also wonder if the dual tank setup is not heavier than a single tank (even with the single one being bigger).
  17. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have it from a reliable source that its a street biased 1050 with optional 17" or 19" front. A stripped down and less expensive 1190 std.
  18. CaliBerger

CaliBerger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do they say about the R version?
  19. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Sounds like maybe there won't be an R version.

I can see dropping all the expensive adjustables and electronics in order to lower the price but I'm a bit surprised on the reduction to 1050cc bit. Is this a new motor KTM's going to use elsewhere? Otherwise it seems like more testing, spare parts inventory etc etc that they have to deal with.
  20. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So did pretty much all the people who wanted one. That's the problem.