GS fuel strip warranty extended to 12 yrs

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by sab, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Justice

Justice Funbuster

Oddometer:
    When did they start using the fuel strips?
    I was at the dealer today, and he says my bike has a float.
    2005 R1200GS
  2. Chris ATL

Chris ATL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After more than 3 years of not working mine gets replaced under warranty on Sat. I find it strange that BMW would do nothing about it when it went bad 2 months out of warranty but will do so now.
  3. Lebo

Lebo n00b

Oddometer:
    I am glad to see this tread. My 09 GSA bought from uk and shipped to Australia gave me a lot of grief . This bike was treated like a trophy show bike with service on time at the dealer, never off roaded and always garaged. All was fine till I got stuck in a valley in France with fuel indicating quarter tank. Took it to dealer in the UK after the trip he said all clear. Had this issue several times after dealer said just a glitch. Shipped bike to Australia still the issue intermittent. Then after being parked for 2 months strip failed . And yes warranty ran out 2 months ago and anyway Australia does not honour European warranty , I paid 500 AUD to replace and calibrate it. Did not know to whom I should complain. After 3 visits to the BMW dealer with little or no luck in calibrating it I just gave up. This just confirmed my perception of BMW cars being a nightmare to fix (sell them before warranty runs out). I was hoping bikes are better. Sold the bike, now I have a 2014 GSA in Abu Dhabi. I hope they managed to fix this basic function of a fuel indicator. Not looking forward to surprises....

Yes I had 6,000 km on the clock
    Sorry had yo vent out... :kboom
  4. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    If the bike has the On Board Computer it has a fuel strip. If it does not have the optional on board computer then it has a float.
  5. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    Sab, who did the warranty work Ride West or South Sound??
  6. drussdog

drussdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if this is also the case in Australia?

Just booked my bike in for this job in 2 weeks.

2010 gsa 1200
  7. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    50k miles on my 07 and original fuel strip is just fine. I mostly use Chevron premium with Techron gas.
  8. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    Your bike uses a float attached to a potentiometer. It has a tendency not show the top two bars even when full. But the low fuel light always works.

On my travels (with my '00 R1150GS), what I have found it is dependent on the fuel that is put in, and what additives are in the fuel. Which varies from state to state, and regions in states. From my observations, it's always places that have to remix the fuel for "cleaner emissions" that turn the fuel gauge stupid, and "for entertainment purposes only".
  9. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    80,000 miles on my 07 GSA and the fuel strip appears to have died. I'm still on my original fuel strip, and have used everything from pure premium to "questionable less than regular grade" fuel.

My bike is going in Thursday for the Fuel flange recall, so the timing is good. At least it didn't fail the week after the dealer was in there.. :clap

Mine failed with the fuel gauge showing more fuel than I have, so at least I don't have the flashing triangle. I figured something was up when I went from Knoxville to Chattanooga, then back up to Pikeville (about 170 miles total) and still had 7/8 of a tank. I switched the on board computer to my remaining range and it showed that I was still good for 458 miles... Doh! Kind of wished I had reset my trip odo at that last refill !
  10. giovacchini

giovacchini 2006 BMW 1200 GS Adv

Oddometer:
    Mine lasted 8 years, but failed and now yellow triangle says "fuel"! Dealer will replace next week with fuel pumps.:1drink
  11. giovacchini

giovacchini 2006 BMW 1200 GS Adv

Oddometer:
    I think I know why mine failed:

Right before mine failed at 9K miles, I filled my tank too much and a little gas spilled out. It's my understanding that the sensor lives right below the filler neck and might not like to be totally submerged in fuel. Any thoughts
  12. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere

Your dreaming.........probably everyone has over filled at least once or twice. Mine went with 38,000 on it with over fills.:wink:
  13. Daryl_Stamp

Daryl_Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a surprise, they'll cover it for 12 YEARS from the date sale ((in-service, or whatever they call it). Have had two replaced already on my 40,000+ '09 GSA, both were covered so no skin to me other than the joy of riding 200 miles (give or take) each way to my favorite dealer MAX BMW in Troy NY. Makes for a nice 400 mile Saturday, or better yet a nice Friday / Saturday goofing off ride.
  14. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got one of those too. Said to keep it on the bike in the event you needed to show it to dealer service staff. :rofl

Mike
  15. Daryl_Stamp

Daryl_Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll take it to the local guy that charges 2x their normal rate for customers that bought their bike at a different (one in particular) dealer
  16. jredford

jredford Ninja Racer

Oddometer:
    I'm on my third fuel strip. BMW = captain oblivious.
  17. aculate

aculate Herk, herk,...Ptooey

Oddometer:
    Got mine today. I'm on my fifth fuel strip. The first one went out after only 475 miles. This last one has been reliable, it's been good for 14,000 so far. The good thing about this warranty is that it's transferable to the next owner, and based on time, not mileage. Keep it in your records to transfer to the next owner. I'll do that if, and only if I sell my GSA before 2022. :D
  18. Botch

Botch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine today too. If nothing else I'm glad I'm in their database, no probs at all with the fuel strip.
  19. Gillies

Gillies Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. It's the only trouble I've had with my '09, so it's good for peace of mind.
  20. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    This fuel strip issue, when you take it to the dealer how long does it take to replace?