iPhone to Android

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Sep 30, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets say, just for fun, I was to switch from an iPhone to an Android phone.

Without the geeks on both sides mucking up this argument;
    -why would I?
    -How difficult would it be considering my music is in iTunes currently?
    -Apps? Would any of my apps that are available on iPhone AND Android work on an android? I assume I'd be starting over, but not positive on that one
    -Android play well with a macbook air or has Apple made it so that there may be "issues".
    -Do Android phones come unlocked? ie: can I pop in a local sim worldwide with little to no drama?
    -I enjoy figuring things out, but at the end of the day, I get more frustrated when things don't work. Should I stay with Apple?
    -Which phone would I consider?

Lets keep this civil on both sides please!
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:

:ear Pertinent questions as Jurgen is this close

[​IMG]

to going Samsung Galaxy Quest III from the iphone 3GS
  3. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't answer all the questions, but here are a few:

1) If you mean iTunes local on your Mac, then should be no problem - I copied all mine from my Mac to my Samsung Dart via USB, but then I don't buy tunes from Apple, I just import them from CDs I buy (I don't let Apple control me the way some people do - or Amazon for that matter).

2) I've had no problems with my Macs and my Android phone.

3) I bought my Samsung Dart for $100 unlocked. Lots of unlocked Android phones - but like any unlocked phone they will cost more unlocked.

Whether you can pop in a different SIM depends on the phone and the SIM (but generally yes). Many phones, whether iPhone or Android or Windows are not necessarily compatible "worldwide" though - it is not just about the SIM, it is about the freqs and modes they use - you would need to research where you are going and whether the phone you are buying will work there and work at home too.
  4. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    I used an Android device for a week as a trial for work. I had a Google Nexus on Verizon. I regularly use a BlackBerry for work and an iPhone personally.

You are starting over with apps. There are fewer apps available and independent analysis has said the quality is lower than iOS. However, the bundled apps are pretty damn nice. Google started a campaign earlier this year to increase the quality of the apps. This has been good for users but pissed off some developers and their apps are getting rejected.

You can definitely tinker more with the OS. However, it appears to slow down the more you tinker. A few IT sites agree with this assessment and a few disagree. YMMV.

I had more app crashes on the Android device in 1 week than 2 years with my iPhone. However, I don't think I have ever had a crash on my BlackBerry.

Apple used to have DRM on the tracks purchased from iTunes. They dropped that in 2009. If you have tracks purchased before then, you may have issues copying to any other device.
  5. squidhunter

squidhunter suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer:
    I went from an iPhone 3S to a Droid X a while ago, then back to the iPhone after about a year. I like the iOS much better and the apps are better quality in general. I got tired of putting up with all the glitches and crashes.

The Google OS is WAY more open to modifications. You can change just about anything, but you can also turn you phone into a paperweight if you don't know what you're doing. If you into tinkering, android is the way to go, especially if your one of those that get all pissy about iTunes not letting you do some obscure crap to your music library. On the other hand, if you want a phone that's stable and doesn't demand constant tweaking, keep the iPhone.
  6. levain

Oddometer:
    Lots of great info here. Keep it coming!

7. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk Me too.

I have a Macbook air and I am considering the Samsung to replace the Iphone 4 I have now as the contract is almost finished.
  8. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Hardware is another issue. With Apple, you get one phone. Period. Build quality is highly rated. With Android, you are all over the place. Some manufacturers are really good and some, well, aren't. That adds another possible failure point in the decision process.
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    You can buy a locked phone and they'll unlock it for overseas use on Verizon at least.
  10. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    do get sick of Apple's my way or the highway... but iphone does work good. there's work around if one really digs...

for instance, Apple wouldn't let you transfer songs not purchased at itunes store. what a bunch of crap! those songs were from CD and records I own.

finally found Mediamonkey that bypassed Apple's control.

here's an interesting test: iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6M5q5TRuAsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    I've got thousands of songs from ripped CD's and MP3 downloads. Not a single MP3 was purchased through iTunes and it will put them on any Apple or non-apple device that I want. :dunno
  12. Buccleuch

Buccleuch I'm just a bean, trying to get some sleep... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I use iTunes to manage my music on my iPhone4, only because I have to, but I keep ALL my music ripped separately, and only drop the stuff into iTunes I want to load at the moment. Never had a problem. I can put all my music on or off whatever I want.

W.A.
  13. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Galaxy S3 and I like it.

I have a Verizon phone and it takes Micro SIM. I'm assuming that next time I go to China I can pack it along and swap the SIM card there but I'm not positive about this.

Also takes an extra memory card, so get the cheaper phone with the lower capacity and then get some big-ass micro SD off Amazon for $25.

I think you will have to repurchase your apps (at least Tapatalk says so).

Any problems I've had with my phone have been resolved fairly easily. First, reading the manual helped (no duh right? :lol3), second you can figure out a lot of shit just by using search engines. Guess I don't know how Apple forums are, but the Android forums seem pretty active so common problems are easy to find info about.

To me, the big reasons to have the Galaxy S3 over the Apple are:
    1. Bigger screen (sometimes a pain but I'd rather have it bigger when working with maps etc)
    2. Google apps (maps) are great
    3. 2GB RAM
    4. Memory slot for you to do your own upgrades on the cheap
    5. Cables are cheaper and more universal (my Samsung and the wife's Motorola use the same cable now).

However I doubt that if you got the iPhone that you would throw it out a window. Before iPhone 5, the Galaxy would have been the one to get but now I think it's a pretty even match.
  14. Chi-Ha

Chi-Ha soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer:
    Google Music puts all my itunes songs (even ones purchased through itunes) on my Android (Thunderbolt) Works great except for battery drain.

I have an iphone 4 through work. I agree it feels like a better built piece of kit and display is better than my 'bolt......
    That said, I can't see me ever leaving the andriod OS. I think its so much easier to use and I don't root either. a "back" button and "menu" button are better than just one honkin' physical Home button. It just makes sense. (sorry for the pun, HTC fans)

99% of apps for Apple are also available for android ( I made that number up, but its gotta be close to that:evil)

You do have to do some homework if you go Google, because not all phones are created equal. Sounds like the Samsung GS III is still more phone than the iphone 5 and is a few months older. I believe you can get one unlocked, but not sure.
  15. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't buy this notion that you have to tinker with an Android phone. I've had a Galaxy S for a while, and i don't do shit to it. It just flat works. I've never NOT found an App I was looking for. I've never had to plug it into my computer. I've never had to sync anything. when I want to move a bunch of pictures or videos, I can do that by simply moving the SD card to another device. no iTunes, no cords, no device recognition, no Apple tech support, blah blah..
  16. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    - itunes... depends if you have older, drm'd itunes music that you never upgraded to 'itunes+' w/out drm. if you do, you're kind of out of luck on that unless you pay to upgrade those files, otherwise no problems.
    - the apps won't work- you'll have to repurchase (likely the exact same apps will mostly be available)
    - macbook- depends what you want to do.
    - you can buy unlocked, or carrier subsidized. up to you.

i would probably look at a galaxy nexus if you're looking for an unlocked phone. you can't beat $350 for an unlocked phone...
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa
  17. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    One thing to note is that most, if not all, Android phones can connect to your computer as a simple USB device. No need to sync with anything. Then you can drag and drop music, movies, or image files as if it were any other USB drive. I can't do that on my wifes iPhone or my iPod touch (that I'm aware of). Not a deal breaker for most but it's the way I prefer.

Any music you have in whatever folder on your computer (even the iTunes Music folder) can be dragged to the Android. Assuming they aren't locked down by DRM, and even then there's plenty of ways around that.

There's also no real need to tinker with an Android device, but you can if you want. Root it and go nuts but make sure you have your contacts and files backed up. The Google Play store keeps track of the apps you've installed so you can reinstall them easily if you have to reset your phone and start from scratch.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2
  18. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Jim, maybe the answer is staying with the iPhone but changing from AT&T to Verizon. Just another angle on it...
  19. levain

Oddometer:
    what does that do?
  20. stagecoach

stagecoach Gear Head

Oddometer:
    Looks like part of my reply got lost.
    I was writing that if you we're switching for better service and a lower monthly, that maybe you consider switching providers. Not sure if that's your reason, or you just want to try something different.