Ktm 990 Adventure R vs Super Enduro

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Dracothius, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Dracothius

Dracothius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to decide what my next bike will be in a year or two a I gotta say the adventure r and superenduro are 2 I'm considering. The GSA and 800 are also options but best not mention that here.:hide I just really like the look of the Superenduro but I don't quite get it. It weighs 40 or so pounds less then the adventure r but has less suspension and less power.( more then enough though I'm sure). I guess it has lower gearing too right? I'm going to be riding close to everyday as well as longer distance trips when money and time align. I currently ride an Aprilia rxv 550 but need something bigger for everyday riding and loading the wife on a couple times a year. The superenduro can have a passenger footpeg kit and honestly shes young enough she can handle the saddle if need be.:lol3I just dont really know why I would get the superenduro instead of the adventure R. From what I can tell I would think the SE would only handle slightly better off road. I guess I'm really asking what makes the SE better then the R and vice-versa. I ride off road a lot ,and in really crappy conditions, but I also ride on road a lot usually cruising around 80 unless I'm on the interstate(try to avoid) then maybe 90. Of course when I pass who knows how fast I go. Triumph has that new adventure bike coming but I'm not sure it can match the ktms off road. We will have to wait and see. I guess after all that writing I'm just curious (already said this, be kind) in what ways the SE and the R differ. Thanks
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    SE= A dirtbike that caan do Street.\
    ADV= A dirtbike made to travel LONG Miles on the street to get to the dirt.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no experience of the R but own an SE. Last bike was a 1150GS so you know where I am coming from in terms of bike highway worthiness.

I am amazed with the SE. With a little screen from 690E will do 90 all day (unless you have strong head wind). A rally fairing is also due from a swedish guy in this forum.
    The seat is wide and comfortable for an enduro bike.
    Off road is the dogs bollocks. The 1.5cm less suspension travel than the R is academic, besides the SE is a lot lighter.
    The really big surprise though is that with proper suspension adjustment, it turns like a road bike on twisty tarmac. It is that good. Even on the stock enduro wheels.

The F800 is lacking everywhere compared to the SE, bar fuel economy and range. My SE with almost stock jetting, akras and 16/45 gearing does easily 180km before the low fuel light, going 120-130km/hr on the highway. That is less than 6lt/100km.
    Champe likes this.
  4. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road / Off.
    50/50 SE.
    70/30 ADV.
    90/10 F800.

One of my biggest problems with the SE is tyre combinations and availability (18” rear and UK). The knobblier you go, you’ll be amazed what the SE will tackle off road, but, it’s a big but she has, it ain’t any 250 crosser. The more knobbly you go, the more the SE will shred rear tyres, ££££.
    On road the SE handles superbly, I’m riding a 690 Duke at the moment with road tyres and the SE feels more planted with adv tyres.

Love the ADV, room and money I’d have one tomorrow. Much better suited and booted for the road, got the right luggage straight out of the box. Putting hard panniers on the SE is like putting saddle bags on a race horse.

Like the F800, suspension needs attention, geometry and handling feels more like a sports bike. Off road it’s OK, but it won’t get you all excited transitioning between surfaces.
  5. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    So the SE is really that much better at off roading the the Adventure R? I plan on eventually doing some adventure biking.( multiple day, week or even month riding) Which would really require a tank upgrade on the SE. It would also require soft bags at least.(wolfman maybe) I mean should I just buy the bike thats a step closer and sacrifice my better off road ability or just do a little more farkling to the SE? I would ride off road as much as possible even when adventuring. You said its like putting saddlebags on a racehorse, does that mean long distance with this bike is a bad idea? I would like to hear from someone whose rode both the SE and the R off road to know how different the two really feel. Thanks
  6. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    Another question is does the fuel economy differ between the R and the SE? What does the R get compared to the SE?
  7. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a 950sm and love it so much that I am selling my 05 FJR1300 and replacing it with a 950se. I plan to make mine 70/30 (road/dirt). If the se handles road as good as they say, I may sell the sm also. Let you know in a month.
  8. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    Cool I'll be standing by.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The carburated 950s give better economy than the injected 990s.
  10. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate you guys with your long inseems. " Oh no , which super tall bike should I get " :lol3 I love the look of the SE and have sat on them at the dealer. Yup my legs are swinging still a couple of inches off the ground ( with the bike on the side stand ). I guess I could have the seat cut down a bit, and I could have the suspention lowered a bit. I'll have to stick to my 8" travel Adventure.
    I think it's fair to say neither of these bikes are single track woods weapons but they are both very capable when many other bikes would turn back. I'd be curious to to campare the center of balance between the SE and the Adventure. With it's fuel tanks hung so much lower than the SE it might be better balanced ?
    It's been said it's easier to make the SE into a good Adventure bike than it is to make the Adventure into a lighter enduro bike.
  11. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an '05 ADV and love it. I've never ridden the SE, but it looks great. The one problem I see mentioned concerning the SE has been broken rear subframes when heavy luggage is attached. I've read that the SE's subframe was just not built to carry massive loads, so that may or may not be a consideration for you. That's why I didn't consider the SE. That said, I see SEs loaded down all the time.
  12. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The subframe is fine, its only the section under the passenger handles which is weak, but very easily reinforced. In other words, it is as good as anything for hard side bags, but not a heavy top-box (as is).

The SE has superbly centralised mass, better than the adv, despite the lower CG of the adv. That is probably due to the lighter front and rear ends of the SE.
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SE is cheaper to crash in the dirt..... :deal :lol3

the mis-leading part is the 40lbs of "listed" weight difference...in the dirt the SE feels 100lbs lighter than the Adv...

in the end...the Adv is plenty capable in the dirt and the SE is more comfortable than you think for the road...so buy the one that blows your skirt up....
  14. Dracothius

Oddometer:
    How exactly do you reinforce the subframe of the SE? This is probably my main concern with the SE. I don't hear about it braking a lot but my luck is horrible when it comes to this sort of thing.:(: On a positive note I hate how top boxes look ( no offense I just don't like them) so I should'nt really have to worry about that.
  15. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont worry a bit about that, its dead easy for a welder.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493518
  16. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    I was in the same boat as you. I went back and forth between these and the 690 R. Then it dawned on me like a lighting bolt! When KTM was building a off road v twin race bike they designed the ADV not the SE. The adventure has a much lower center of gravity (battery under engine, gas much lower, aux tank from neduro very low as well). I have a good friend that loves His SE but has a much harder time with it in sand or muddy conditions and believes its because of the higher center of gravity.

Don't get me wrong you will love either but why buy a SE and put a fairing, larger tank, reinforce the sub frame, strougle with putting larger luggage on it, and have a seat your wife hates, just to end up with a hybrid SE/ADV that ends up only weighing 10-15lbs less.

Solution: buy a used 950 ADV and a used 530 EXC for same price as a new 990 ADV ( thats what I did ). Or seriously look at a 690 enduro. Don't buy one of these without giving it a try. That bike with a few upgrades will do everything you want these to do and be more fun off road.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  17. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    They learned from the adv and then they did the SE :D

I think the problem you describe is not a matter of CG but of seat height. The adv might have a battery at a lower place, but it has a fairing inc supporting structure high up. If you can flat foot the SE then the lighter weight will be the deciding factor.
  18. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    I had access to the 990 Adventure, prior to purchasing my own "adventure bike". As it turned-out, I went with the Super Enduro.

Some of the things that played into my decision...

1. I ride in an area with soil that is known as "sandy loam". Dry, it behaves like sand. Wet, it acts like mud. The low fender was a concern.

2. I never buy at retail. 990 R's were hard to find. When I considered the law of "supply and demand", I knew that a standard 990 or 950 SE was going to be right for me.

3. Two words...Oil Change. I have the mechanical ability of a mushroom, and didn't want to take a class at Wyo-Tech, just to change the oil.

4. Because both bikes are 475+ pounds, crashing was a solid consideration for me. When I get offroad, I wad any bike that I'm on. Because it was designed more like a dirtbike, and not a rally bike, I felt that the SE would hold-up better during my get-offs.

5. I didn't know if it was bullsh!t or not, however, I heard SE owners talk about how surprisingly well you could "slab" on the SE...which was a major concern of mine. I couldn't afford to pay $10,000+ for a bike that I could only ride on the dirt. It had to be capable of 300+ mile days.

I wish you the best with your decision. I am sure that many in the OC have been at this crossroads before. I remember how torn I was...

19. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    They learned from the adv and then they did the SE :D

You might be right!

Start an excel file with farkels you want to add. The sheet with the lowest farkel cost wins.:deal

I have ridden both and I would say that on my ADV I can stay with alomost any sport bike. On the SE I can show them a wheel once and a while. With a supermoto set up I am around and gone! That bike rips.
  20. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    You would be surprised at just how well the big girl does in the singletrack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wheelie junkie likes this.