barn finds

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by dagwood, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch [This space for rent]

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads-up. That item is ALSO on the "keep" list, but I am going to research it further when time allows.
    Haven't measured it yet, but it looks like it's about a .32. Two-cavity; one conical, one ball. Interesting. :wink:

I'm spending all my time researching the "sell" stuff, like the WLA parts, first.

Otis
  2. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :nod

Funny story if you can last that long.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zzabmVIU6EQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    It's possibly for a Colt Baby Dragoon or a Pocket Model, both in .31 cal, and before the Civil War. Early molds had no sprue cutter.
  4. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch [This space for rent]

Oddometer:
    I did, and IT IS! :lol3:rofl:clap:photog:poser:lol2:flush

"And that's a TRUE story!" :D

5. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:

Anyone know what happened to Teranfon? Looks like he may have gotten banned or something. Just wondering how the Mercury is doing. He was doing a really nice job on it.

:ear
  6. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    My grandfather had one poket full of caps and a battery in the other.

He mixed up which pocket was which. Had these funky blue lines/marks all over his right hand till the day he died. From what i understand it's a freaking miracle that those genes got passed on.
  7. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He didn't answer my last PM asking him about the car. I think he likes to keep a low ( really low) profile.
  8. jam_nut

jam_nut Back Road Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,
    I stumbled upon this fine jem and have the opportunity to buy it. Not sure what I will do with it, but can't let it rust away to nothing.

My question to the group here is, what is something like this worth? I haven't actually seen it in person and the orginal owner is passed, so I have no info other than the pictures.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Appreciate your input.
  9. Bun-bun

Bun-bun Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming it's all there and mostly original, you won't go too far wrong under $1500 or so.
  10. Gimpinator

Gimpinator Core Dumper

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys -

I've been in touch with Teranfon. He's had some personal issues which have really slowed down work on the car. It will probably be a while before he can post an update.

If I hear anything I'll pass it along.
  11. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:

These guys seem to buy and sell that vintage a lot and may have some information helpful to you.

http://boxerworks-service.com/index.html

also http://www.bluemooncycle.com/
  12. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks for the update, seemed all his posts disappeared. Hope he gets back on his feet soon. He was really doing excellent work on the Merc.
  13. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish him the best. That Mercury is really unique.
    Here's a barn find I've been keeping track of:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/17/spitfire-planes-burma-excavation
  14. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
  15. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
  16. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was utterly amazing. Thanks for the link.

Looks like the auction was held in November 2011. Here's a list of what was sold and how much it sold for. The motorcycle listings are near the end; the total proceeds from the auction are on the last page. WOW!

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-content/uploads/Official-Results-Lee-Roy-Hartung-Collection.pdf
  17. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. His estate probably raked in the moola. Just a few of the cars I saw in the first vid and some of the bikes would be worth a lot, and it sounds like there was a lot more hidden in there.
  18. Chobro

Chobro spinning the wheel

Oddometer:
    Make sure it has a title and make an offer in the 500.00 range.
  19. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 15 years ago my parents sold their local summer house where my dad had his hanger/shop. In the toolbox my dad had a box about that size and there were about half a dozen blasting caps in it. When he was young, about 20, he cleared some land by hand and removed some stumps with dynamite. He had some leftover caps. That was back in the days when you could walk into a hardware store and buy dynamite - especially if you were a farmer.

When I saw the caps I warned him that such things were very verbotten today without the proper paper work and licenses. That he really needed to get rid of them in some discreet fashion. Not sure who he gave them to, but the were gone when he died. I was tempted to keep them for myself, but decided it was better if I didn't. I did inherit an old dovetailed wooden box he kept dynamite in (no dynamite in it). I will probably use it as a box to keep kindling in for the woodstove.
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I am really curious to know why so many US videos feel the need to have music in the background. Perhaps someone might be able to explain as I'd like to understand.