May - SF to Seattle via coast

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by cyromax, Feb 4, 2008.

1. cyromax

cyromax n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I am an aussie looking at coming over in May to ride from San Francisco to Seattle, taking advantage of the coast road for some great views and excellent riding, I hope.

Any advice that can be offered on this, would be greatly appreciated. At present if I go, I am planning on taking a week to get from A to B, is that too long? too short? What is there to see and do?

When I get to Seattle I have an event I am going to there, and then a little shopping and flying back out, so I am also looking at hiring a bike for the trip.

thanks in advance
    Edward
  2. Omi

Omi ssion

Oddometer:
    I woulden't say that it is too long. If you make it to Seattle in less time, there is pleanty of good riding from here. Bring good rain gear. Last year it rained till July. Have fun!
  3. Omi

Omi ssion

Oddometer:
    Anybody else got anything? I'm still kinda new to the west cost. :ear
  4. ducmons

ducmons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to drive down the coast from Seattle to LA, and continue into the south west. Once i get to my destination, I'll come back to post a few pics for you.
  5. ilvecchio

ilvecchio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming north out of San Francisco, take Highway 1 turnoff about 2 miles after the Golden Gate Bridge. If it is foggy be careful on the road to Stinson Beach. It is very tight and in places it is a long way down to the water. The Parkside Cafe in Stinson Beach is a great place for breakfast. It is one block off the main road toward the water.

Highway 1 is goes for about 200 miles north along the ocean until you hit Highway 101 at Leggett. For my money, it is one of the world's great roads. I always stop in Bodega Bay for a latte at the small coffee shop as you leave town. Normally, there are some interesting people there if you want to talk, often bicyclists from Europe.

Along the way, Gualala (pronounces Wa-la-la by the natives) has gas, motels and several restaurants. Mendocino is an art community and also expensive. Fort Bragg is the largest town and lots of folks don't like it. It seemed OK to me. All of these towns have motels, not necessarily of the budget variety.

The last 22 miles before Leggett cut inland and have a lot of blind curves with speed limits of 15 or 10 miles per hour. Be careful here also. I have come around a blind curve and seen bicycles, deer and one time a truck in my lane.

Garberville is the next town after you hit Highway 101. You have some options here. You can take the Avenue of the Giants through the redwoods or take the Lost Coast Highway back to the ocean if you have time.

If I have time I will say more about the rest of the route later. Also, if you post any special interests, perhaps some of us can be more specific.
  6. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A one-way bike rental may be problematic unless you know someone.
  7. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  8. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Schedule your ride so that you are only riding on week days. On the weekends the number of slow moving motor-homes will have you wanting to put a bullet in your head.:D
  9. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Yep, Monday through Thursday the West Coast is much more clear of tourons in their RVs and green minivans of death!
  10. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Oregon coast is great, too. Lots of motels and camping locations. I like Cannon Beach. Come across the Columbia River at Astoria and continue up. Mt St Helens is very interesting to see (volcano that blew in 1980). Depending on your time, you may want to stay on Hwy 101 and continue around the Olympic Penninsula and then back over to Seattle via one of the ferries. Rain gear is recommended for the trip - likely to run into rain just about anywhere north of San Francisco. Good luck. :D
  11. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Can you go from Seattle to SF instead? Better views and pull-offs if you are heading north to south - it's a little thing that is a big thing. Either way, bring your rain gear!
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer: