Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Well, I was testing out some big adv tourers (report write-up over in Beasts) and really liked the Stelvio. So that got me thinking about the rest of the Guzzi line-up and what I really want in a bike. I'm still up in the air about it all, but I have two Ducati Elefants for real touring/off-road duty, and it would be nice to have a modern (read: low maintenance) bike to commute on. I liked the Stelvio, but it was a bit too refined and very duplicative of the capabilities of my current bikes.

Add to that the fact that my wife recently got her M1, but is intimidated by the 'Fants, I'm thinking maybe a V7 would be the way to go. I have a 60 mile commute each way, so the good gas mileage, shaft drive, and fuel injection seem like a plus to me. The smaller size would probably make it a bit easier for her to handle and get used to riding. I'd probably ride the bike near-daily on commute, and she'd ride it whenever she felt like a ride (I'd take my Fant those days).

What says the forum? Anyone got one? The new 2013s are supposed to have a little more power. My wife likes the looks of the racer the best, but the special and classic are nice too. If we got the racer, I'd probably put the two-up seat kit on it.

For reference, I'm 6'2 and 215 lbs, my wife is 5'10 and 130-140-ish. (she won't tell me) I've heard the suspension on the classic is a bit soft for a 200 lb rider. Is the racer going to solve that problem?

Pros/cons? stuff to watch out for? Thanks!
  2. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a thread here somewhere on the V7 Classic. I own a Classic and I've test ridden a 2013 Stone with the new engine. The new engine is great, noticeably more torquey and quick than the older. The new V7s are fantastic bikes for "everyday people" type riding. If there's any justice in the world, the new V7 should break all Moto Guzzi sales records.

It's a truism with Guzzi's that if you focus solely on performance and compare what you're getting for your dollar, they are outclassed by dozens of other bikes. People buy Guzzi's for the aesthetics, for the visceral pleasure that the engines bring, and/or to be a little different. You certainly get that with the V7 and you also get a very competent bike, well-suited for a 60-mile daily commute or even some touring.

I think you'll find, being over 6', that you feel a tad circus bear-ish on the V7. Big people can and do ride the V7, but in my opinion the geometry is more optimal for someone 5'6" to 5'10".
    greyrider2, Hittman and davyjones like this.
  3. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" and am quite comfortable on a V7 Racer. As with any bike at this price point, the suspension needs work. The V7R has BiTurbo shocks on the back, but they're a marginal improvement.
    Sonicbooms and davyjones like this.
  4. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never ridden one, but I have developed a bad case of Guzzi lust lately. Seems to me that a V7 Stone and a Stelvio in the garage would cover just about anything I would want from two wheels. Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket:rofl
  5. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    That is my dream garage as well! Maybe a Classic vs the Stone but a V7 for sure.
  6. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Well, I went and test rode one today, and my local dealer has a smokin' deal on a 2012 (yeah, I know they just bumped the power- no biggie to me), and I really enjoyed myself! After initially thinking I wanted another big adventure bike, I realized I still love my Elefants too much and don't need another ADV bike. I just want a practical and reliable commuter that my wife won't be intimidated by. The Guzzi fit the bill. I dragged my wife over to see it and she sat on it and got to grinning. Sat the kids on it and took photos. It feels like I'm riding a bicycle on the freeway! Handles ok, but fun anyway. great mileage and low maintenance! Build quality next to the scrambler is no contest.

Gonna pick it up tomorrow. V7 Classic in black.

Cade
    DocRogers likes this.
  7. surly357

surly357 Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer:
    davyjones and White mt guy like this.
  8. sfrider300

Oddometer:
    Well done! The new V7 is improved, but it's still fundamentally the same bike. The additional power of the new engine probably won't matter to most people, given how this bike is meant to be ridden. For all practical purposes, the Classic is just as enjoyable and useful. The lighter wheels of the new model is something I might add to my Classic at some point. Test riding the Stone, I definitely noticed it turning in more easily. Again, not a big deal, the Classic is agile enough.
  9. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    I did a V7 Cafe for a while and it was a cool bike. I really like the way the Stone looks, and the new motor would be cool, as mine wasn't SLOW, but it certainly wasn't fast.

As far as fit, I'd sit on one. If I were to buy a V7, it'd be the stone or the classic for comfort. If I were a big guy, looking to be riding 2-up, or commuting a couple hours a day, I'd be looking at an 8-valve Griso SE.
  10. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Yup, thanks all. I'm reading through (well, the rest) of the V7 thread, too.

I thought the Griso was the mutts nutts, but then I saw the fuel economy. Might as well just pour the gas out on the ground. 60 miles each way, daily, rain or shine. V7 looks to get at least 50, if not more in highway commutes.

Tomorrow is gonna be fun.
  11. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2012 V7 Classic is on consignment at Pro Italia....almost no miles and has lot's of goodies on it (solo seat as well). You'll see my comments on the bike both in the thread above or over at the GuzziTech V7 forum.

Enjoy the new bike!
  12. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    That's your bike? It's a beaut. I'd have gone for it, but for the one fact that ProItalia couldn't take my RX-7 in on trade. Other than the solo seat, it's pretty close to everything I'd do. I need the double seat for picking up the boy from school and soccer practice and such.

Bill mentioned your bike makes a little more hp than stock, prob up to the level of the 2013 - what did you change out? pipes and a reflash, or more?

I ended up going with TO Vespa (who actually does as much in bike sales as scoots, and carries moto guzzi and aprilia)

They're allied with a used car dealer next door so they can take cars on trade. They were very fair to me, and no pressure, let me test ride on a stone, etc.

If anyone is in the market, Oalvarez' bike is really nicely done. Worth a look.
  13. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Very kind of you to say, Motorcade....much appreciated :super

Yes, Bill's correct; amongst the other improvements, we changed out the pipes, lost the cat, and had Todd of GuzziTech change the mapping of my ECU. it runs quite well. the bike also comes with the two passenger seat for those interested, along with all the stock parts of course.

Have fun with your V7! :clap
  14. KungPaoDog

KungPaoDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Please post up pics/reports so that us broke guys can live vicariously through your new bike purchase:rofl

It sounds like it checks a lot of the boxes for a fun commuter/errand-runner/round town bike. With the rest of your bikes, a great addition to your stable!
  15. rbm

rbm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your choice of the V7. Funny enough, that's the same analogy I use to describe riding my V7 Racer. It's feels like riding a bike -- light, nimble, powerful for its size.

As for milage, you can count on 46 MPG typically -- 50 is a stretch. It still makes for a nice commuting bike all the same. I've been tracking my milage on my V7R over at Fuelly if you're interested.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rbm/v7-classic
  16. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Thanks all! I'll try to get some pics and ride report stuff up asap. I've already put two tankfuls through, and I'm driving down to Anaheim for a few days for business tomorrow. Gonna hit Decker canyon and the PCH early in the morning on the way down.

So far, I think the preload is set a bit high - I asked them to set it up for a 215 lb guy (me) and I think they heard 315. It rides better with my son (about 80 lbs) on the back. Otherwise, way too stiff. I can live with that for a bit, until I'm back at home.

I'm getting a little under 40mpg so far, but I've been varying speeds a lot, and the engine is still breaking in.

I think 46-50 seems reasonable based on that, and is still plenty good enough for me. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have held out for the 2013's bigger tank, though... nah, I'm good. :wink:
  17. sfrider300

Oddometer:
    Suspension is the most disappointing part of the V7, imo. Should soften up a bit over the first 1K, but the persistent problem is getting jolted by potholes etc. The shocks are mediocre. I went to Ikons and was satisfied with the improvement.

Broken in, you can count on a 200 mile range averaging 70 mph, maybe less depending on your load.
    davyjones likes this.
  18. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    She also really really doesn't like doing anything until fully warmed. Even with cold start lever selected, stalls at idle until warm. About 200 miles on bike now. Will this resolve after first service?
  19. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    No, it's a fueling issue. I had a richer map loaded as soon as I bought the bike. Mine's still a tad cold-blooded (couple blocks), but then its fine.
  20. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Will the dealer do that, or am I needing to look aftermarket?