turn signals that dont suck

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KaceCoyote, Nov 5, 2009.

1. KaceCoyote

KaceCoyote Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer:
    So I've destroyed like, ten billion turn signals and its sort of starting to bug me.

So help a guy out, who makes the absolute most badass invincible turnsignals ever created that I can stick on my DR and be happy with?
  2. jazzdrum69

jazzdrum69 Street seeking dirt & camping in DC

Oddometer:
    Oberon dual firing mini indicators are the way to go. CNC machined solid aluminum and they signal in the front and back for extra conspicuity...I added them with my integrated tail light and they make up for the lack of blinker talks hanging off the back. blinking towards both the front and the back is a bonus safety feature. They are quite bright also.

kind of expensive depending on if your used to buying cheapo blinkers, but these are great.....highly reccomended.

this is the only link I could find to them that is in English...and this is the dude I bought mine from. I guess other venders are based in Germany.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBERON-Dual-firing-Mini-Indicator-Turn-Signals_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56368f79f9QQitemZ370282559993QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  3. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    just buy the $14 ones from CycleGear.
    I have yet to replace them @ 4-5 months.
    Just ask GA DS Wannabe and BMWAtlanta how I ride....:lol3
  4. Bruce Caldwell

Bruce Caldwell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was at a Ducati shop a few weekends ago & they had some of the Rizoma mini LED turn signals that sure look trick. They're small & out of the way & still the stalks, as short as the are, are flexible. Pricey though.
  5. JR Greenhorn

JR Greenhorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Several months back, Paul Dean reviewed some interesting turn signals in his Service column in Cycle World. They were a mini-stalk LED design, but the head of the signal had a friction-fit over a rubber stalk. In a crash, the head just pops off and hangs from the wires, and can simply be pushed back into place. They looked to me to be just the ticket for an off-road bike. I can't remember the name of the company that makes them, but Baja Designs sells them: https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-603028/Turn+Signal%2c+Mini+Stalk+Led%2c+Pair

If you wanted more info (like the manufacturer's name), I could look it up in Cycle World when I get home. I've got that issue sitting out somewhere.
  6. Queen of Spades

Queen of Spades tall drink of water

Oddometer:
    Apologies for grave robbing this old thread, but I'm looking for a new set of turn signals and am overwhelmed with the quantity of "made in china" LEDs or standard 6" long oem replica incandescents. I like the bright incandescents, but I break them regularly in the woods. All sets of the LED signals I bought were OK at night but aren't very usable in bright daylight.

Requirements for my next set of signals:

1. Flexible stalk
    2. Vibration resistant (rear signals are a pain to replace on my bike)
    3. If LED, they must be obnoxiously bright, which the last few sets of "super bright LED turn signals" from Ebay were bright at night but disappear in daylight.

It's the year 2015, surely there are some good dual sport signals on the market that meet ALL of the above requirements (especially #3... and #1... .and #2 :deal )
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Look up and consider Buell Ulysses rear signals. Best dual sport signal as well as road bike if they suit. $15.99/ea, common 3w bulb, they just plain work! I have them on my KLX650 and my Zephyr. You do need a $10 automotive electronic relay, but from there everything is great.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This isn't my bike, but it shows them. They can fold back almost to the frame, the accordion section is that flexible. The mount pins matched up perfect for both my Kawasakis. Totally trouble free from installation on. I soldered my Kaw signal ends with some extra wire as needed, to fit them up.
  8. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
    Queen of Spades likes this.
  9. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:

+1.
    These Buell lights are the best all arounders. Nearly indestructible, good looking, function perfectly and cheap. Not as cheap as they used to be ($6.50) but cheaper than anything else that works well.
  11. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuff lites for sure unless you can go integrated.
    I put some zeta hand guard blinkers into my cycra handguard. Super bright and flush.
    [​IMG]
  12. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Up front get some handguards that have led strip turn signials built in....very hard to break those.

On the rear, I use a little flush mount signal.

I ride a lot of tough trails in colorado.....I NEVER crash....... :evil.....but......I do have a bad habit of unplanned dynamic dissmounts ...:D

3 season of riding yet to break or damage a front or rear turn signal.

scott
  13. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +10000000

put these on both my bikes. just have to remember to seal the hole in the stalk with some silicon. :)

14. zeddy

zeddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highway dirtbikes makes some high quality led, tiny signals. But they aren't cheap like the china ones.
  15. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    + whatever on the Tuff Lites. Keep replacing cheaper lights or pay for these once.
  16. Gillies

Gillies Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another + for the Tuff Lites. I've tried all the others. These are the best by far.
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Here is what RockabillSlapMatt did for low buck. Look at his thread. I got four for my 250 to do the same. LED trailer lights around $30 for all four. Drill a hole fit the rubber grommet then pop in the light. A bit of soldering to connect, but sealed and simple.

[​IMG]

The white dots are amber LEDs he made into signals. Not fancy, but pretty bullet proof.
  18. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:

Yep they fold back and are rugged. That meets ONE of my requirements.

If they are not much brighter than the average "made in china" LED turn signal, I'll pass.

I consider a bright LED to be something along the lines of the Hyperlights flashing brake light. That hurts to look at.
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are substantially brighter than incandescent but not as eye searing as HyperLites. Like most LED's they are super bright from directly behind but not so much as you move to the sides. But directly behind me is what I worry about.
  20. Queen of Spades

Oddometer:
    I keep going back to Hyperlite's site and looking at their amber flashers. If I could find a flexible signal mount/stalk that the hyperlites would easily mount in we'd have a winner.