I'm 73. So what? Lead or GIT!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by calimusjohn, Sep 14, 2012.

1. calimusjohn

calimusjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ultimately this will be a Ride Report.
    People are fascinated by how old I am. It seems weird. I read a lot of R.R.'s. Too many feedbacks list a bunch of reasons why the writer can not do something. Here is why I can't. 2006 - compression fracture of back at T-12 in oddball snowmobile accident. 2010 - compression fracture of back at T-11, L-1 and L-3. Wife of 28 years succumed to Lung Cancer after a very long, five year battle.
    Doctor said, "No more snowmobiles, no flying Experimental Homebuilt Aircraft, don't even think about Bungee Jumping or SkyDiving, AND sell the motorcycles." I listened very carefully. I found a New Doctor and bought a Vstrom. In January, I rode south to Cabo San Lucas. Returned to the States and immediately went back to the Mexican mainland. Squirted over to Brownsville, Texas, back to Mexico and then north to Oregon. In June I rode a SaddleSore 1,000 with two broken ribs. (Search under "Calimusjohn". There is a writeup in R.R.'s). In August, I rode 8,084 miles in 24 days from Southern Oregon to Coldfoot, Alaska and home via Homer, AK and Missoula, MT.
    Last year I rode my Goldwing Trike on the Four Corner's Tour. Waded across a flooded Cananda and was turned south by SNOW! in Dawson Creek. Did the Ride to the Sun, Little Big Horn, Tetons, Yellowstone and Arches near Moab and returned home for clean socks.
    Am I special? Far from it. I also have Scoliosis (curvature of the spine). If I let it - I will be on permanent "Shoe Watch" soon. Am I on drugs - yep. Lots of Ibuprofen and some prescription meds that help stop the spasms that occur when I twist, stretch or bump the spinal cord. Experts say 34 degrees deflection is real bad - I'm at 34.5 degrees and still kicking. Now, at the end of a Day's Ride, I often confer with Captain Morgan about that Day's travel while studying the charts, preparing for the 'morrow. Oh, what was your reason for not riding?
    With all that B.S. out of the way - I will try and write a coherent R.R. on my latest Alaska Adventure.
  2. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yes! In!
  3. Yukoner2

Yukoner2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear:clap
  4. True.North

True.North Have bike wil travel

Oddometer:
    Lead on Calimusjohn, sounds interesting
  5. SmellyGoatBoy

SmellyGoatBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You ever near Seattle, I'll follow and buy drinks when u decide to stop.
  6. rhino_adv

rhino_adv Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed!!! :lurk

Brad
  7. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    73, and still able to push it, inspite of skeletal issues, wonderful!
    Apparently, you're in good shape, otherwise. Probably good genetics. That's the real key.
    Most, aren't as fortunate. On the one hand, I had good genes, I'm 71, but Lyme disease since my late twenties has counteracted my good genes, so a long list off health issues.
    For me, riding 20 miles is an accomplishment. Am I able to fully enjoy it? No, but just sitting home on the couch is lousy, and depressive, time drags. Liver issues preclude a lot of anti-inflammatories, so it's a vicious cycle.
    I down graded from a Suzuki gs 650 gl [ran good] to a low miles 78 Honda cm400 Automatic! I would have liked to try a trike, but way out of my price range. Therefore, I decided to build a sidecar for the little Honda, took me a couple of months of serious "tinkering" but I managed to produce what I feel is a decent, functional product. Performance, probably similar to a Ural rig [on the street] at a small fraction of the cost. Sorry, don't know how to post pix on this site or I would have done a build report.
    Anyway, if I hear you zooming up behind me, I'll pull to the side and wave as you fly by, you lucky bastard.:lol3
  8. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are always reasons why we cant do what we want to do; look at how many of us live vicariously through the "audacity" of others. We are never supposed to go ride a motorcycle off somewhere- its too dangerous, "you need to work and save up more money for stuff you 'need'", etc. Everyone will always tell you how you should live your life, and thats exactly why this place is called an asylum.

Good on ya' inmate. Ill don a straightjacket with you and go along for the ride. :freaky
  9. AdvSplash

AdvSplash Find the world

Oddometer:
    YES! YES! YES! AWESOME! I'm IN!
  10. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN! I'm only 64, but still new for new adventures. Let's see what you're up to.
  11. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    Minor diversion, have you seen the CB400A sidecar thread here?
  12. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Love it!, more rides be they 4 corners or 40 miles is what it's all about, it helps keep us living life rather than throwing in the towel.:freaky The Saddle Sore report was a hoot and looking forward to reading this rr too.
  13. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I saw that report. My bike exactly, a barn find, but mine in very nice condition with less than 10k miles. I do have a website
    www.bootcamptoeternity. Health issues compelled me to write a book about my travels, trials, and resulting philosophy.
    I could easily post images of the build there and perhaps sell a few books to fund a trip out west to visit a Navy buddy I haven't seen in forty years and then back by way of Florida to visit Mom, for perhaps the last time. She's 90.
    The sidecar only weighs 180 lbs. but it is 2ft. by 7ft. so I could actually sleep in it, in a pinch. The question is, could I hold up? I don't know, I haven't gone more than 20 miles per trip. A major issue with Lyme, is chronic fatigue and cardiac issues, etc.
    Perhaps I'll try going further in stages, see how it goes. I would rather check out on the highway, rather than sitting on the couch. Ten four
  14. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. BC Brian

BC Brian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am so subscribed

I turned my Mom and stepfather onto ADV rider a while back, and my stepfather, 73, a scooter rider, is, this week, shopping for a big enough scooter to maybe do some travelling.(he says he can't get his leg over a bike seat anymore)
  16. Greg MacD

Greg MacD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! This sounds like the making of a great RR.:freaky
  17. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome...................:clap
    Enjoy your ride and be safe, I wish I can do the same when I am reaching your age
    .:lurk Will be follow you on this report.:ricky
  19. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:
    Met a great guy in Fairbanks in 2009. He had rode solo up from Virginia and was waiting to get to Prudhoe.

He was 70 at the time. One of the greatest fellows you could ever meet. Leaves me in the curves (not saying much)

Heck yeah, I'm in.:clap
  20. BingoRyder

BingoRyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    :freaky:freaky:freaky I will be 67 when i go back to Mexico this spring. I'm it too.:freaky:freaky:freaky