New Africa Twin 2014

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by zippy700, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chrissie B., sorry for misleading a bit. I meant that I used to smaller bikes, my biggest were DR Big and Tiger 800...Tiger kinda big but small - most of it is that front with lights, but there is nothing inside really.
    I fully agree about GSes. Couple of my best friends and riding buddies do ride GSs and GSAs and they do get around...a lot. And with no much fuss.
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not, one of my friends have Beta (not this one but similar) with all mentioned additions. It's pain in the .. you know... on highway and demanding service-wise if misused. But absolute gem offroad. He actually sold his offroad bikes and only kept Beta. But he does not have KLR to compare, so...don't know
  3. Chrissie B.

Chrissie B. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once you've done all that, you still have a trail bike and it will still be less useful for touring. You can't fit a much better/bigger seat on a skinny bike like that, and once you've fitted a bigger tank and luggage racks, it's no longer such a light weight. But there are many other factors that go into comfortable long distance touring, sure, one can even go on a scooter and I know of people who have gone through Africa on a 200cc... but personally, no thanks, the Africa Twin is harsh enough after a day in the saddle, compared to the newer bikes!

That's why there are different bikes... they are for different purposes and I fail to see why one would want to ride a fully loaded Enduro bike over long distances? For in town, yes, you can kit it out like a Motard, nippy in traffic and cheap on fuel... which sadly my AT is not! When I do heavy peak hour traffic, it uses about as much as a modern small car! But I have the advantage of lane splitting and filtering through gaps :clap Saves soooo much time!
  4. Ham

Ham Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What gets left out from the discussion from time to time is the cross wind factor. Give me my Stelvio in all forms of weather. Even my Dakar 650 is miserable in any kind of a cross wind even loaded.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the problem with converted trail bikes. The light weight and high profile means getting blown around by the big trucks and cross winds. It will always be a trade off, it's physics. It's a choice you have to make for the mission statement.
  6. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    I own a XR650 R, a KLR650 and a Beta 520. The Beta is strictly for dirt even though its technically street legal. I keep the plate on because sometimes I ride off road in California and you know how that is. The KlR is my street; highway bike, 75 mph and no heavy vibrations or extreme shaking. Last month I completed a 3700 mile road trip and the only complaint was that I had to replace an old worn knobby in Idaho. The XR I converted to street legal and its my pure dual sport. Added a rally fairing to keep the highway air off but it still eats the desert power line roads like nobody's business. The true king of the Baja.
    [​IMG]
  7. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
    I thought we're talking here about Africa Twin....I was wrong obviously.
  8. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    +1000.

I already set my notifications preferences to OFF, because of all this off topic Jo Momma fantasies.

Indeed, I doubt if some people here who are offering their opinions, even ever saw an Africa Twin.
  9. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    2015 Africa Twin?
    2016 Africa Twin?
  10. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Gonna go with "something Honda flirts with for years and never gets around to doing because.....HONDA".
    larryboy likes this.
  11. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
    I got just confirmation from Honda it will be actually Asia Trio for 2015.
  12. rockycraig

rockycraig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta talk about other stuff cause there is no new africa twin, and most likely won't be one or a yamaha mini T. I would love someone to prove me wrong.
  13. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha! Please, Honda, build an adventure bike! PEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!
  14. motif

motif Banned

Oddometer:
    they got no money, maybe we can arrange some small donation to honda project? :D
  15. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    All part of the show A-Wind ... all part of the show :rofl!!!
  16. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Screw Honda... Lets build it ourselves!! Out goes custom choppers in with custom ADV bikes!! What better way to have the bike YOU want!
  17. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the engines we need!
    Ok I found the engines, now we need a frame.....:deal

Available in 750cc and 950cc displacements.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>MAX Power</TD><TD>110 HP @ 9000 RPM</TD></TR><TR><TD>Peak Torque</TD><TD>92 ft.-lbs. @ 6200 RPM</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bore</TD><TD>96mm/3.77”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Stroke</TD><TD>66mm/2.59”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Intake Valve</TD><TD>36mm/1.417”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Exhaust Valve</TD><TD>30mm/1.181”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil System</TD><TD>wet Sump</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fuel System*</TD><TD>EFI</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ignition System*</TD><TD>Digital Coil on Plug</TD></TR><TR><TD>Comp. Ratio;</TD><TD>10.1-12.5:1 (Variable)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cooling System</TD><TD>Liquid</TD></TR><TR><TD>Camshaft</TD><TD>Double Overhead</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cylinder Head</TD><TD>4 Valve</TD></TR><TR><TD>Trans/Gear Box</TD><TD>6 Speed</TD></TR><TR><TD>Clutch</TD><TD>Wet/Multi Disc</TD></TR><TR><TD>Clutch Activation</TD><TD>Cable or Hydraulic</TD></TR><TR><TD>Starter</TD><TD>Electric</TD></TR><TR><TD>Displacement</TD><TD>955cc/57.82ci</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>* Includes engine management system “ECM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Available in 350, 450 and 507cc displacements.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>MAX Power</TD><TD>50 HP @ 6500 RPM</TD></TR><TR><TD>Peak Torque</TD><TD>40 ft.-lbs. @ 6000 RPM</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bore</TD><TD>96mm/3.77”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Stroke</TD><TD>62.2mm/2.448”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Intake Valve</TD><TD>36mm/1.417”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Exhaust Valve</TD><TD>30mm/1.181”</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oil System</TD><TD>Wet Sump</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fuel System*</TD><TD>EFI</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ignition System*</TD><TD>Digital Coil on Plug</TD></TR><TR><TD>Comp. Ratio;</TD><TD>10.1-12.5:1 (Variable)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cooling System</TD><TD>Liquid</TD></TR><TR><TD>Camshaft</TD><TD>Double Overhead</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cylinder Head</TD><TD>4 Valve</TD></TR><TR><TD>Trans/Gear Box</TD><TD>6 Speed</TD></TR><TR><TD>Clutch</TD><TD>Wet/Multi Disc</TD></TR><TR><TD>Clutch Activation</TD><TD>Cable or Hydraulic</TD></TR><TR><TD>Starter</TD><TD>Electric</TD></TR><TR><TD>Displacement</TD><TD>449cc/27.42ci</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>* Includes engine management system “ECM”</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  18. Chrissie B.

Chrissie B. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is just for those who don't know what the Africa Twin looks like... :deal

Attached Files:

19. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I'm not a wrench or a fabricator -- So the next question for me would be WHO could build me 400 pound package using this engine AND how much would it cost?
  20. evermore

evermore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially the V-Twin is likely meant for cruisers and they look bulky. No mention of weight. Clearly not the starting point for such a project :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.