What is up with all the TOP BOXES?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jul 16, 2008.

1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do they affect the handling (ride) of the bike?

Don't you know those things are ugly? I know they can be handy and all... I am not trying to pick a fight or anything...but I just witnessed an HP2 with one and wanted to.:puke2

Now there are some that look better than others so I am going to go with the ugly scale. (a modified version of the Wiley scale for men’s boots... Wiley, you know who you are you yodeling maniac)

So as I see it there is:
    ■ Not so ugly
    ■ More so ugly
    ■ So so ugly
    ■ Oh so ugly

and to top off the Top Box ugly scale.
    ■ Fugly (or fugly ugly)

So what is up with them? There is only a handful of bikes made to even support the things. They don't look out of place on the rolling BARCO loungers like Goldwings and such. On an Adventure bike...UGLY!!! So what is it? Why do you feel you need them high speed wobble inducing ugly boxes? Why do you need sooooo much stuff?

A dry bag looks so much better. Just saying.
  2. ADVHOG

ADVHOG Tattooed White Trash

Oddometer:
    I agree they are ugly.

However, it makes it easier to get groceries home.

It's also nice for storing my helmet and stitch while I'm walking around (so I don't look like a spaceman).

It's also good for a backrest for my pillion.

Other than that, I leave it at home.
    Respen, diegosaenz, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...especially the Stich

I forgot to mention LET'S SEE SOME PHOTOS So we can rate them on the scale.
  4. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I usually leave my top box on my Uly when in the commuter mode. It is just too damn handy for carrying lunch to work, tossing the helmet and gloves into and all that.

I do however agree that it is not the best looking arangement. Then again, when ya get right down to it, ADV bikes are not usually all that pretty to begin with, so it not not a case of making the bike ugly. It is more just changing the degree of ugliness. If I wanted a pretty bike, I would have bought another cruiser.
  5. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I feel that my road bike (V-Strom) handles better with the side cases rather than the top box. I think the top case buffets. But a lot of people don't want to ride with side cases. On the V-Strom they are very very wide since they stand outboard of the upswept exhausts.

A fixed, hard, locked case is very handy for commuter use or errands. What with the price of gas, more bikes are being used that way and I think there will be more and more hard cases on the road. In the few European cities that I've personally seen, I'd say that the majority of the bikes and scooters in-town had top cases on.

I don't want to ride with my computer bag, my briefcase, and my gym bag all hanging off me. With the two side cases, I can stow all three out of the rain (around here, even if it is sunny in the morning, it mught thunderstorm in the afternoon). With only one case I could fit 2 out of three inside and let the gym bag get wet I guess.
  6. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    It's a great place to carry my computer to and from work; as a business continuity prime, I have to tote the laptop back and forth and keep my cell on 24x7.
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's why I bought one of these. It fits in a pocket. Mine is Black. In a few weeks the are coming out with a 20 gig version

Attached Files:

8. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine doesn't affect the handling. I bought my KLR because it's cheap and reliable. I don't care what you or any other drama queen thinks about it's looks.
    Hvymax likes this.
  9. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    hmmm, maybe I can convince our IT folks to change the standard from our current supplier, though I do enjoy the 15" widescreen LCD on mine. That one would certainly help when I'm leaving town on business too.
  10. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Oh... rate mine. (mine's on the left)

[​IMG]
    Uke likes this.
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a bad box. I would rate that between Not so and More so.

:D That MONSTER ZEGA on the right side of the other bike is tipping the scale at Oh so:lol3
  12. duhgee

duhgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's definitely one of the nicer ones. What kind is it? I've been looking for a pillion backrest, and they almost run the same price as a topcase ($300-$400), so why not get the backrest and the storage for the same price? I can't stand the look of 'em either, so I'd remove it as soon as my passenger gets off.
  13. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    That is a BMW OEM Adventure topcase... good luck finding one. :lol3

It has a flat bottom and could actually be mounted on anything.
  14. grae313

grae313 Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer:
    Oooh ooh!!! Rate mine! Rate mine!

:evil :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does not match your helmet so I've got to go with Oh so ugly:D

Isn't traveling by Motorcycle the best!!! I just did a quick trip to Montana to pick up a 1200GS my bro-in-law bought. 1400+ miles in 2 1/2 days:clap
    Be safe RIDE RIDE RIDE
    texas_aggie likes this.
  16. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    I have one on my 650GS. yes its Ugly but so am I. Its main purpose is function over beauty.

Thoug, on special occasions I do remove it.
  17. Chromer

Chromer So, a funny thing has happened

Oddometer:
    I have a top box because... I need to carry stuff, and I'm just not gonna ride a scooter.

High speed stability? Meh. I never go over 80 or so for more than a few seconds at a time anyway. As soon as the road straightens out I slow down again...

And besides, I ride a Strom. The only thing I could to do make it look better on the road is put it inside an enclosed trailer...
    NickDanger likes this.
  18. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Forget the helmet, look at the pretty face inside the helmet. :D
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're completely wrong about the "High speed wobble inducing..." part. I had the same questions before I got mine but at 125 mph (indicated, but who cares?) I can't tell it's back there. Unlike a drybag, I can lock my helmet in it. And it don't affect lane splitting. If I bought it to look at I wouldn't have gotten a GS.
    texrex3234 likes this.
  20. grae313

grae313 Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer:

Ouch! :rofl Well, at least it's not fugly...