AMA Vintage Days Mid Ohio

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by donnieewing, Feb 5, 2014.

1. donnieewing

donnieewing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on going to AMA Vintage days at Mid-Ohio in July. Just wondering if anyone could recommend some good motorcycle friendly motels/hotels near the track? This is my first trip to this event. Any recommendations on best ticket to buy and any good eats in the area?
    Thanks in advance!
    Donnie Ewing near Charlotte,NC
  2. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the good/close hotels will have already been booked, so it's more a matter of finding a vacancy at a price you are willing to pay. Many of the smaller cities and towns within a 30-40 mile radius of the track will have one or two chain hotels and there will also be both chain and local eats avaliable. There is a small mom and pop resturant just south of the track at the intersection of 314 and 42, called the Apple Pie Inn (if i remember the name correctly) that has a good breakfast and is very popular with locals and long time attendees both. There is a local chain of resturants called Steve's Dakota Grill that can be hit or miss, when it's good the steaks are great and the baked potatoes excellent (and HUGE), but a few times it's been just so-so. Always has a good beer list however, including Great Lakes microbrews.

As far as a ticket....just buy the weekend ticket if you are planning on being there both sat and sun. It doesn't take a special ticket to visit anything at the track. There is usually a flat track event at the Ashland Fairgrounds that takes a seperate ticket from Mid-Ohio.
  3. donnieewing

donnieewing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a room at a Red Roof Inn. It says it is .52 miles from the track. I must have gotten lucky! Thanks for the info on tickets. Looks like there are a lot of restaurants in the area. The address says Dublin, am I in the right area?
  4. mikehailwood

mikehailwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not Dublin, Ohio?
  5. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Nah, maybe 52 miles from the track...

Track is in Lexington Ohio

Dublin is a suburb of Columbus
  6. donnieewing

donnieewing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's why I asked . I thought it was too good to be true! I'll cancel that one and start looking again. Appreciate the heads-up!
    Donnie
  7. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Findlay.

It's a little bit of a jaunt, but it is easy and pleasant riding to get to Mid Ohio from there, and that way you're just a bit away from all the business at night. Of course, you might want to be in the thick of it.

http://goo.gl/maps/CCTKD

It was a nice hotel, and motorcycle friendly. I'd stay there again.
  8. donnieewing

donnieewing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just booked a room at the Heritage Inn in Mansfield. I hope I am a little closer to the track this time. And Thanks to everyone who replied.
  9. mikehailwood

Oddometer:
    That's a better location. And it's not far from Ashland where the dirt track races are usually held.
  10. donnieewing

donnieewing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When are the dirt races? And about how far is Mansfield from the track?
  11. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Dirt track is at the Ashland County Fairgrounds.

Your hotel should be about halfway in between the two...:D
  12. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't believe no one recommended camping at the track. Huge camping area; very bike friendly; total immersion for the weekend! :lol3

Also extremely loud and if raining a total mess BUT you'll be in the thick :freaky of it!
  13. mikehailwood

Oddometer:
    Donnie, Don't miss the free pancakes and sausage breakfast at the Grace Brethren Church on Saturday morning in Lexington. Donations sometimes accepted (some years they tell you to please don't donate (?) ).
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    :huh

Umm... I didn't check but is the Heritage Inn the one on Park Ave or maybe 4th St, downtown? If so, I'd be cancelling my room and getting one in nearby Ontario. If Heritage is the piece of shit place downtown then MPD rolls on assaults and shootings there with some regularity. They had a homicide there a few years ago.

There is a bed and breakfast on SR 314 right across from the track. As far as nearby good restauarants, my favorite is The Road House, a few miles north of SR 314 from the track. Corner of SR 314 and SR 309.

We lived 12 miles from the track for quite a few years so I've got a good handle on the area.
  15. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddies and I have made it routine to stay in Marion for several years now. Nice ride over to the track and back, plenty of decent restaurants, and plenty of hotels. Only question would be how much you want to pay for a room, and if they still have any in your price range.
  16. KTMmer950

KTMmer950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second Marion. It is only about twenty minutes from the track and all nice country roads to get there. We stay on the east side of town near 23 and 309. There are several motels and lots of places to eat. If your coming from the west on 70 route 4 is a nice way to get there.
  17. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's an Amish All U Can Eat fried chicken joint an exit or two south of Mansfield if I recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:

I think the heritage inn is visible from 71. It looks like a dump, but I've never stayed there. Judging by the looks of the cars in the lot, I'd be at least parking in the room. Seems to be one of those "long term" hotels.
  19. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could also forget the hotel thing and actually camp at the track :D. Then you don't have to worry about driving/riding back and forth, you can wander about and meet more of the assorted types that camp there, and you can try to find my campsite and I may even let you have a beer.....what a deal :rofl
  20. deaconjones

deaconjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a first-timer: Any shade? Fairly comfortable camping? Ok access around the facility? Anything going on at night? Food vendors? Good and plentiful showers? Thanks in advance.