Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by blaster11, Sep 29, 2012.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Depends, are you talking to a doctor type who most likely think motorcycles are evil.....:D I will be back in a regular shoe in January if I stay on track, so most likely January riding again. When I ask about attending the Rawhyde class in March with Dave he felt I could probably do it but my fitness level on that leg would hinder me seriously. Or if I had any setbacks I would most likely miss it. A part of me still has hope that I could pull it off but another part says be smart and hold off. We will have to see which one wins. :D
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Fixed!
  3. macaroni

macaroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When it comes to most things I'm usually pretty cautious and I would recommend waiting until your foot is 100%. That said I'll take lots of pics and vids of the next cornerspin class I attend just so you feel apart of it. :D

4. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Cautious is not really my style as I have a life to live! Remember you only have xx number of summers left before you sprout wings! I will probably have attended Cornerspin and Rawhyde before you post the pics. :evil
  5. macaroni

Oddometer:
    I doubt that's likely since I'll be the one passing you during the class...
  6. blaster11

Oddometer:
    :poser I will try not to run you over....much.
  7. macaroni

Oddometer:
    That's what Garrett thought...ask him how that turned out. :D

That's why there's all that footage of me riding....
  8. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Can I just go to watch and take pictures?? :evil
  9. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Ok, Garrett openly says don't believe anything he writes on the forums but somehow now I am supposed to believe his line of BS this time....

Anyway this is facePlant so let's stay on task, banter elsewhere.
  10. ShopGuy

ShopGuy Gravity hates me

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear about your injury, but I am glad you have posted about it.

I had surgery sept 26 for my foot and have been searching for good info since then on similar injuries but none as good as this, most are not motorcycle related. Your story is much easier to relate to, and your list of q&a from the doctor is awesome, wish I had found it sooner!

I hope you continue to update your progress, and I wish you a speedy an successful recovery!
  11. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Your response is exactly the reason why I made this post....to help others out.

I wish you a speedy recovery as well!!
  12. ShopGuy

ShopGuy Gravity hates me

Oddometer:
    Thanks blaster for allowing me to contribute to this thread:thumbup hopefully my experience can help someone else out as well.

On July 26th my awesome wife gives me a new helmet cam for my birthday, so of course I have to try it out. Was just going for a "quick rip" and ended up not wearing my boots...what could go wrong in ten minutes?:evil Wheelie goes wrong, bike crushes foot. Rode it home (was on a deserted back road outside of town) hobbled into the house and laid on the floor in agony, wife shaking head and rolling her eyes. "Kids, get in the car, Daddy has hurt himself again and we need to take him to the hospital"

In the ER they take an xray and Doc says it doesn't look like anything is broken, probably just badly bruised. Tells me to stay off it for 3-4 days, see my regular Dr and ice and elevate. Gives me prescription for T3's for pain.

Day 2, foot looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Day 4 I go to a walk in clinic to see a Dr for a follow up. He looks at my foot and says yes, it looks like it is badly bruised, will take a long time to heal and be sore for a long time. He tells me that if anything were broken, the radiologist from the hospital would have called me, and he recommends physio/laser therapy to help with swelling and to help promote healing.

So I go for treatment and continue to ride and go about my life like I have a sore foot that I can't put full weight on. Yeah it hurts but only if I try and "toe-off" when walking and if it is impacted. Six weeks go by and my physio therapist thinks I should be further along in my healing and requests to see my x-ray and the radiologists report. Turns out the original report said I had a suspected Lisfranc dislocation and possible fracture, but no body informed me of this.

I go to my family Dr (who I should have seen for the follow up...live and learn) and she is quite concerned that this was misdiagnosed/mishandled and gets me into see an ortho surgeon ASAP (took a week to finally get to see the right ortho)
    and in the end I'm scheduled for surgery exactly 2 months from the day of injury.

Turns out I had been doing extra damage to the bones in my feet from all the walking etc. that I had been doing. Surgeon tells me that the bones are basically dust in spots and that it won't be an easy repair

Before surgery:
    [​IMG]

So after five hours of surgery and a bone graft from my hip, my new foot looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I'm in an air cast now and my next appointment with the ortho is in December. My family Dr thinks I will be out of the "boot" and walking on it after that appointment, with a lot of physio of course.

At least its winter here now and I'm not missing out on any riding:D
  13. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Damn dude that's pretty jacked up! :eek1 Sounds like you are on a solid path to recovery now. Apparently Lisfranc injuries are often misdiagnosed...unfortunately.:cry
  14. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Shopguy: You poor soul! Sadly, I don't think you are alone as it seems that the injury is often misread on the xray. Your foot looks magnificently bruised. Did it have the classic brusing on the arch (bottom) and top side of the foot?
  15. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I put in a request to the mods to have the title of the thread changed to: Foot dislocation (Lisfranc Displacement), so others can find the thread more easily.
  16. ShopGuy

ShopGuy Gravity hates me

Oddometer:
    Strangely enough the bruising seemed to be every where BUT on the arch. Looking back I should have went in sooner to have it looked at again, but I took the word of a Doctor who I later heard has part ownership in the physio clinic I was going to.

On the bright side for other residents of this fine city I live in, the ER at our hospital now has a policy that every foot injury that is suspected of this injury is booked to see the Orthopedic surgeon. They told me this on my first day back after surgery, when it looked like this:

Day 4 post surgery
    [​IMG]
  17. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Damn dude! Looks similar to mine but with a lot more entry points and hardware. I assume that all your hardware is permanent?
  18. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:
    [
    So after five hours of surgery and a bone graft from my hip, my new foot looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I'm in an air cast now and my next appointment with the ortho is in December. My family Dr thinks I will be out of the "boot" and walking on it after that appointment, with a lot of physio of course.

At least its winter here now and I'm not missing out on any riding:D[/QUOTE]

Wow....thanks for the reminder to wear ATGATT. Hope you mend quickly!
  19. ShopGuy

ShopGuy Gravity hates me

Oddometer:
    Yes, unless something bad happens when I start to put weight on it again. Being a little accident prone anyway, it might not be a bad thing to have reinforcement in there. In my college days, a straight tequila night landed me in the hospital with a broken fibula and ankle. Fast forward to last year when I did a slow tip over on a log, leg was caught and it broke my fibula again, but the plate that was in there held it together. Cast was off in three weeks and I was walking on it again.

Can be seen here:
    [​IMG]

I always tend to learn the hard way...if someone else can learn from my lack of good judgement, I'm glad to help!
  20. blaster11

Oddometer:
    OK, note to self don't ride with you. Just kidding!