War and Pieces- Soviet Sidecar Rig Resurrection

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MotoJ, Feb 28, 2012.

1. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    I'm not dead yet!
  2. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Prmurat,

I've got one of those, too!

Yours is a first generation, late 1950's, short framed KMZ (Dnepr) K-750. Rare, but still just a RPOC (Russian Piece-O'-Crap) at the end of the day. A lot of the parts are not original to the bike like the handlebars (originals were the cool ones with reverse mounted levers like CJ-750's), taillight/turn signals, 12v alternator (all K-750's had 6v generators), the endcaps on the cylinders, the rear fender (should be split/hinged) and fender supports (should be bowed), shocks, and maybe the rear swingarm. I think all that stuff probably came of a newer Dnepr MT-11 (except the SV endcap pieces!).

That's probaby why there's a big gap at the hockey puck/donut thingee. They probably used the shorter driveshaft from the MT-11 because the Dneprmatic gearbox is a little longer, thus requiring a shorter driveshaft. You can shoehorn a Dneprmatic gearbox in there (mine has one). They're much more reliable and are half-automatic (you really only have to use the clutch to put it into reverse because the shifter "pulls" the clutch for you!). Or since you're not going to be using reverse (I assume), maybe get one of the Dnepr 5-speed gearboxes that sacrifices reverse!!! :evil:evil:evil

Before and after engine swaps...

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left">
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
    [​IMG]
  3. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for pointing all the wrong parts.... Give me some more things to look for! ($$$$)
    As it is a K750 ( -59/63 leading link ) I do not have a reverse (K750M 63/77 telescopic fork) and the only reason why the hockey puck/thingie was not at its right place was due to the position of the 2 clips on the shaft which are there adjust the "free" move of shaft and therefore the position of the "thingie" fingers thing in the hockey puck. You can see the grooves in the picture of my, well finished, shaft here:
    [​IMG]
  5. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the good things about old Rooskie iron: it's rare just to find someone who knows that your rig is not a BMW, so originality isn't a big issue, nor will it really affect the value to put it back to showroom specs because at the end of the day it's still a RPOC!!!
    Just smile and ride it 'til the wheels fall off. (BTDT - literally!) ... :D:D:D
    brstar and Combatscoot like this.
  6. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Showroom in CCCP???
  7. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    Regarding getting it into a magazine, Western Mule sometimes has articles about old ag equipment.
    brstar likes this.
  8. BrianAndrews

BrianAndrews n00b

Oddometer:
    resurrecting an old thread, I just found this one and read it this morning. Great work documenting the build. Reason I resurrected the thread, I now own RomaDakota's MV750 (as of Sep2019) as well as a 56 IMZ M72 I bought from him in pieces around 2015. I finally am getting around to putting the M72 back together, hope to have it running this year.
  9. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Hope things are well Brian!

I haven't heard from @MotoJ in a couple of years. Hopefully he is busy riding!
    Shadow 9er likes this.
  10. BrianAndrews

BrianAndrews n00b

Oddometer:
    Good as they can be. Waiting on ignition parts and then I hope to fire up the M72. Just bought an acre on the Lake (Watts Bar) in east TN. Wife retires in 6 years, we hope to build our retirement home in 4 or 5 years. Plenty of back roads out that way for riding. You get any new projects or is the house still consuming your time? Take care..
  11. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Oh no!!! Man, I don't think I could do it again - check... no way I could do it again. Looks nice out that way and the back roads gotta be great. Good luck!

House done. Wife wants a barrel banya; hoping to have that built in the next month or so..

What are you looking for in the way of ignition parts??
  12. BrianAndrews

BrianAndrews n00b

Oddometer:
    We didn't either since we had already built one house, but life is funny. cool on the barrel banya. cap mainly, but I am also going to try the polish solid state VR too. They should be here any day.