Aldi super thread

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by Mungo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Haggs

Haggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me and a mate got the bluetooth sets and I have to say for the money they're not bad. Sound is ok for music and the intercom between two bikes works a treat :clap and you can have calls in and out from your phone (last number redial) all for 60 bucks each. :D
  2. ken0ath

ken0ath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a mini keg of Paulaner last time. Finished it off over a weekend then went and purchased 2 more :freaky
  3. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
    This morning picked up the queen size inflatable bed - looks to be good value at $70.00 with a two year warranty. Excellent for guests. Have pumped it up and feels very comfortable.
  4. MacMan

MacMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We bought one for ourselves last time around and have just bought two more for friends and family. Good things. Beats a couch.
  5. sp0rk

sp0rk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We grabbed 2 of the camping chairs on Saturday morning and then put them straight to the test on saturday at a party
    Very comfy chairs, nice big esky in the arm rest (can fit 3 grolsch swing top bottles and an ice pack) and can fit a stubby including a stubby cooler in the drink holder
    Bloody big when they're folded up though, don't think they'd fit in the Mrs's Mazda 121 , lucky we're buying a ute :rofl
  6. ken0ath

ken0ath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Battery Chargers for $30 are pretty nice. Motorcycle specific function too
  7. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got one of the battery chargers from a few years ago,works well.
  8. drikko

drikko Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle function??? Different battery types yep, different vehicle types nup.....

Might be good still, not saying anything bad about them just the marketing.
  9. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Might just be a way of limiting the max charge current .. due to the smaller sized batteries in 'motorcycles'. I agree that it is poor practice, it dumbs down the information .. possibly to suit the knowledge level of some consumers.
  10. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    All Aldi is doing is cloning the functionality of the big names like CTek, which all have symbols for toggling the charge mode.

FWIW, the Aldi multi mode charger I got a few years ago is still working fine. Its been attached in 'car' mode to the daughter's car who is working overseas this year.

A mate of mine who is a bit of an electronics nerd pulled one apart and compared it internally to a CTek he also had in pieces and reckons he couldn't tell the difference electrically. $30 vs $150.
  11. southern cross

southern cross WARDY

Oddometer:
    Bought my first Torque wrench after years of thinking ' I'll get one .... One day'
    Made in Germany, date manufacture Sept. 2014. That's quick getting into stores.
    Feels solid but the adjustment is very tight to turn. Feels almost gritty but should loosen up in time, .... I hope.
    The stamped numerals are not easy to read but I'll get used to reading them in time.
    The price $24.95 is I think, very cheap and overall I think it's still a good buy. I can only assume it is accurate as with any such tool.
    How would you test a torque wrench for accuracy?
    S.C.
  12. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated

Oddometer:

Lug nut on a car.
  13. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:

Watched Dick Johnston testing two torque wrenches back in 1973 when I was working on his Bathurst Torana. He set them both to the same setting and connected one to the other. They should click at the same time!

It's a start I guess.
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Bought a 55" telly just in time for Bathurst!
    Jeez, that sucker is big!
    Makes me smile that I paid $600 and just a few years ago the rich people were paying anything up to $6000.
  15. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Clamp 1/2" drive (in a smooth jawed vice)
    Set torque wrench to a suitable setting .. probably low
    Apply the required weight at the required distance (the closer these are to calibrated the better)

You might do best by applying the weight at a shorter distance and move it out until the torque wrench dos its thing and then check the distance.. the difference between where it is and where it should be is the error.

Source of weigths .. bag of sugar, rice etc.
  16. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Good thinking.

Handy to note that a litre of water weighs exactly 1kg
  17. Muruk59

Muruk59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a handy measure though!! :-)
  18. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did anyone buy one of the Cree 10W rechargeable bicycle headlights?? Seemed like a great idea for the few times a guy would ride at night? Versatile as a spotlight and just clamp to bars for extra light Adv. riding. They claim 3 hrs at full power.
  19. curlysurfer

curlysurfer in need of a ride

Oddometer:
    I do a bit of night mtb riding, and these aren't much chop. You can much better bang (or lumens) for your buck from ebay, search for xml cree bike light. Half our bunch ride with these type and we spent around $50 max. Very comparable to what people were spending upwards of $1000 two years ago.

when these lights are clamped to your helmet, and blinkers or bars, they make for great night rides. Up to about 40-50 k's. Then you are outriding the light as they don't throw far enough.
    my 0.02
  20. Richo76

Richo76 Been here awhile

Oddometer: