Blue 990 "S"--How do I re-paint as stock color?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by HarryEye, Nov 27, 2013.

1. HarryEye

HarryEye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As usual, I apologise if this topic has been covered. If so, please re-direct me.
    I have an '07 Adventure 990 "S" (the blue one), and as advertised, the paint basically just flakes right off. If you've never seen it on this bike, it's pretty pathetic: just a moderate finger nail scratch, and a hunk about the size of half a dime will flake right off. About a square foot total (all added up) is gone from the bike.
    Since this apparently happened on many, many of these bikes, did/does KTM do anything about it?
    I'd like to re-paint the bike, but in the stock colors. I will be doing all of the prep-work myself, but will leave the actual painting to my professional auto-painter nephew.
    How do I figure out the original paint color? Or, do I just have to try to match it?
    Was the flaking paint issue inherent in the paint, the primer, the prep-work, or the plastic itself (meaning, if I re-paint this thing, will the new paint just come right off again?).
    Can anybody that has done this job recommend a specific type of paint for the plastic/metal that this bike is made of?
    Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated, from someone with actual experience. I might want to change the color, but there is something asthetiically pleasing about re-painting it in the color that KTM though was correct (even if it was NOT orange--What was that all about?).
    Also, any advice about making the prep-work easy would be great. I did read the "project creep" thread, and there was some good advice about removing the stickers.
    Also, is there typically clear-coat over the stickers? It seems like it, but I'm no expert.
    Thanks to all in advance!
  2. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    KTM was replacing tanks outside of warranty. I've only seen this mentioned for the case of the bubbling decals (common problem, the paint failing seems less common) and also this was back in 2010 (for 06 bikes). You might want to call KTM Customer Service and see what they say, or if you have a good local dealer, ask them to contact KTM on your behalf.

There are tons of threads here with the paint codes, try searching. Standox makes most of the paint and any body shop will be able to get it (Dupont distributes in the USA). KTM also sells the paint but maybe only in europe. KTMTwins also sells paint, see their website.

This is the $10,000 question. I believe the tanks have an inner lining designed to prevent out-gassing, as otherwise they'd be like any other dirtbike tank, impossible to paint/decal. Quite a few people have used Caswell liner epoxy but mostly to solve cracking issues.

Yes there is clear coat over the stickers. 90 gloss.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71404
    http://www.orange-adventures.ch/public/KTM Farbcodes.pdf
  4. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was the same way, in fact during a pretty good crash the entire right hand side peeled off in one piece.
    I uesd a local auto body paint supply store and had them match the color, that turned out to be very very close to the Yamaha r1 blue.
    Painted the bike with proper automotive techniques after sanding all the old blue paint and primer off. Bike still looks great after 2 years and many dismounts. I don't see a need to line the tanks, that can cause a whole different issue.
  5. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    Yeah, when you peel off the stickers it looks like shit.:lol3
  6. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I've had my tanks and side fairing repainted several times in blue.
    [​IMG]

The tanks and plastic have various nuances that inhibit great adhesion. On impact, the tanks will flex inward, then recoil. Paint generally doesn't have enough flex thus releases at the greatest areas of flex.

[​IMG]

The inside lower areas of the tanks are very near the front header, and the heat effects the ability of paint to adhere long term. You'll notice the paint flaking in these areas if you look closely.

Also tight edges and curves of the front fairings, especially at the dash seem to flake away. Probably due to vibration and constant flex, sunlight and temperature slightly shrinking and warping the plastic edge.

I'm experimenting with decals as a temporary cosmetic fix, I'll post when my custom order arrives and I approve the quality and application. There is also the option of a full wrap ( although they can't do the metallic or clear coat effects). My problem is I enjoy riding into the office on occasion and can't maintain my clients confidence with their large budgets and tight deadlines if I appear to be the off road hooligan that I am. But realistically, the bike IS a dirt bike first and foremost... and will continue to get "punked". I simply need to mask that as well as possible. But continuous repainting it is just not practical.

However, there's nothing like a fresh paint job, especially in the early KTM S Dakar rally blue.

If you do choose to repaint, you might want to create a strategy for the sensitive areas. When I eventually repaint, I'm going with a chip resistant semi gloss black on the underside and outline on all the tight edges of the side fairing... Something I can touch up with a brush.

And when I spend the money on new paint, I will clear wrap the bike afterwards for extra protection.
  7. ADVill

ADVill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP's bike.In my garage for "safe keeping". This is by far the least-affected spot. Runs great by the way :)
    [​IMG]
  8. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    This was me 14 days ago. I am recovering nicely, but I probably have another two weeks before I can ride again. So.....What does one do with his time??????

I have it! Let's repaint the bike!

I'll post pics of the condition of my 2005.5 Blue in the next day or so, but since I can only sit around right now, I will pull out a camp chair and start sanding.

[​IMG]
  9. woodchuckexc

woodchuckexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paint and plastic always seemed like a bad combo.
    I bought a set of graphics from a guy who advertised on the 950/990 Facebook page. Came printed on thick 3M vinyl. He will customize to your liking. $225 to my door. It was a full wrap. Came with a shit ton of extra decals printed on the same heavy moto background vinyl. The kids in Baja love em.
  10. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This forum is for LC8s...how’d you get that husky shroud wrapped around your ears?[emoji41]
    Get better well and soon[emoji106]
    Whodatschrome and 2 SPOT like this.
  11. Big_John

Oddometer:

That's perceptive and funny. Sanding starts today.

12. Big_John

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Today I made a trip down to Sherman Williams Auto Paint Store. I purchased a pint of their 'next to best' auto paint at $46. I also purchased a special adhesion primer and a top shelf, catalyst Clear Coat. Set me back $140.

The prep has begun...... piece by piece I am working through the bike......

[​IMG]
    godwinmt and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  14. FckYeah

FckYeah n00b

Oddometer:
    Big_John, I wish you a quick recover !

I will also follow your work given I too crashed last week end and now need to repaint both side panels...
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Bike is stripped and tanks get prepped tomorrow......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Big_John

Oddometer:
    One tank sanded......

[​IMG]
  17. Scoutman

Scoutman Misanthropic Drifter

Oddometer:
    You are well on your way to success I would say.... I covered my repaint in the Graphics thread, starting on about post 32208755 as shown below. There are quite a few pictures after this of the painting progress and some of my notes that might be of use. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/950-990-adventure-graphics-kits.687178/page-19#post-31418004
    Final product looks like this... It's been about a year, and I have run the CDT with it, plus another 2500 miles of 2 track and dirt and she is still holding up just fine.
    Bike Starboard.jpeg
  18. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Unconventional color scheme, but I really like it!!!!

But....I don't want big slabs of vinyl on the bike. On my previous 950, the second set of decals started to bubble just like the stock ones.

This is my previous 950.......

[​IMG]
  19. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Neighbor has a vinyl cutter and took care of me this afternoon. Monday will find my doing final, detail sanding and prepping the garage for painting.....hanging plastic to create a paint room. Hopefully I can do all my painting on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

[​IMG]
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  20. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Parts have been painted twice with sandable primer, specific for plastic application. After second application, I wet sanded with 800 grit. Here you see the parts, after having been sprayed off with the garden hose and allowed to dry. The first coat of primer was gray colored and the second was flat black. I did that on purchase to know how much I had sanded off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dusty, zakou and mroddis like this.