To trials or not to trials that is the question

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brett943, Sep 4, 2012.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    If you like Sidi's you could also consider the Discovery Rains. They are just a bit heavier and less flexible than a trials boot, waterproof and make a decent trail riding boot too. I've also Garne trials boots and float back and forth between the two models and can't tell much difference. MX boots are definitely useless on a trials bike.
  2. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Only "warning" to give you and go fasters like you is, trials boots don't give much protection at speeds. Many reports on RMD about guys nearly losing toes on tree roots on trails while ripping down TST at 40 mph plus...

Heck I can wear trials boots and be comfortable more often than wearing my tennies... Half the time I forget I have them on, at camp... they are comfortable.

the TRIALS boots, to me they really are more like good leather work gloves, They're great for working you know around the house and garden, but I am not catching for major league baseball in them. MX boots really are more like catchers mits, they would not be worth a damn to be using a shovel or potting plants...

So MX boots turn out to be pretty limiting working the brakes while balancing at stand still, but are necessary when racing where you could catch a toe on something and really be hurt without all that stiffness in the MX boot.
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Right there is the crux of the matter. I'm a little late to the party, but I have to agree that having very different bikes expands the motorcycling experience. I've been to trials events, and think having one in the stable is something you won't regret.

Now I'm off to build a bigger garage...
  4. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re boots. I wear Thor MX boots, great for kicking trees down. When riding technical stuff I do not tighten them right up which gives me better flexibility. Their is a hint of give in the soles so the rear brake is no problem. Adequate for now but still do not hold a flame to the real deal.
  5. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Sidi Trial Zero Boots.

I am in North NJ.
  6. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    :thumb on the boots.

Is there any trials activity in NJ? I guess there is a NY club or two?

I'm in MD - not too far from South Jersey, but a pretty good hike from North Jersey. Our club event is in northern DE and coming up 10/28 if you're interested in competing or spectating.
  7. Brett943

Brett943 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trials boots, pants that tuck in boots and a light weight trials helmet are next on my must have list. Like others I wish I would have tried a trials bike sooner! So much fun! Will tractor up anything it seems. I just love it, going out friday to see what else I can get up :evil
  8. LCNMRIDER

LCNMRIDER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Las Cruces,NM (yes we speak english here)
    I got away with a pair of police boots that I purchased at local store for a short time while I saved the money to buy a good pair of trials boots. They actually worked better than I expected. Not saying that I recommend them but they were much better than my MX boots.
  9. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Its some "all about" needs, I know. I mean I borrow old bats and gloves from the 70's/80's (school days) "stash" if I go play softball, because Im not into it that much. I also know looking at everyone else's gloves, & aluminum bats, that I'm handicapping myself (new gloves size of a bushel basket, and SOFT, whoot), where mine looked like a PeeWee glove.

But Trials, I'm INTO it, so I buy the stuff just so I don't pre-handicap myself with equipment that we already know doesnt lend itself to the task... like my glove analogy.
  10. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. RiverRatRider13

RiverRatRider13 Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer:
    I am in the same boat. Since I have moved out west I have been riding a lot of single track. And I do like it. But I have always loved watching trials and it looks like an awesome sport to get into that you will never ever really master. You can be good at riding single track but to get better means to go faster and you just exponentially increase your chance of serious injury. I do know that as you get better at trials you will try bigger stuff and therefore more dangerous as well but I feel its a bit different.

When ever I want to get into a new bike and or hobby I always do tons of research. So tonight I looked at and test rode my first ever trials bike. a 2001 Scorpa SY250. From everything I have read these are great beginner to intermediate bikes with a fairly bullet proof yamaha powerplant. All things I am looking for. I debating weather or not to pull the trigger.. price is obviously a factor. But I agree with High Country Herb in expanding my motorcycle experience! I have a street bike(2000 speed triple) and a single track machine(96 Yamaha WR250) so why not a trials bike!?
  12. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Zero boots arrived, and I highly recommend them for anyone looking at a comfortable, and a broken-in out of the box boot.

I just got into trials a few days ago, and my first ride was with my Sidi Adventure boots which were ok as far as flexibility goes but like an mx boot they are bulky for trials. The Zero boots feel perfect.
  13. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    i had a '01 sy 250---great bike!! i rode it several hours per week for about 5 years before selling it & it was bulletproof. i weighd about 215 back then when doing some competitions and couldn't break it.
  14. RiverRatRider13

Oddometer:

Thats great to hear!!! I did end up buying it. I am very excited to get some time in and improve my skills. The previous owner mixed 80:1, what did you mix?
  15. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
    i mixed full synthetic at 75:1. i used either aviation gas or added octane booster most of the time, enjoy it!!
  16. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    Be very careful to not run fuel containing ethanol in the Scorpa. The tank is made of something that the ethanol destroys. Otherwise, enjoy! Mine has been tons of fun.
  17. RiverRatRider13

Oddometer:

I very much appreciate the tip!! Searching today for non ethanol station!
  18. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Try a marina near you. If that fails, a municipal airport for AVGAS.
  19. RiverRatRider13

Oddometer:
    Got out for the first time on the scorpa last night! This is pretty fun, extremely challenging though! I have a ton to learn! but I was able to go places at my local singletrack spot that I couldnt touch on my WR.

[​IMG]
  20. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Trials bike last week also, and have already put about 10 hours on her...been places that I could not touch with my WR144. I know it's how the pegs are positioned and the lower center of gravity and all that, but I am still at awe how much traction a trials bike finds going up hills that I would never be able to pull off on my drit bike.
    After each ride, I kick myself for not getting one sooner. So for all those on the fence, and have a little extra cash to spend, don't procrastinate....get one asap if you want to improve overall riding skill.