The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    They make most of the engines...not the F series though.
  2. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesnt this describe the vast majority of auto and bike manufacturing? I guess engine and drivetrain could be a tossup...well, more drivetrain. My guess is most mfgs produce their own engines.
  3. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're bound to build more than Aprilia, and that doesn't keep Apes from being good bikes.
  4. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    No, just the opposite.
  5. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with some friends to the bike show yesterday, and spent a while looking at the new GS. Compared to the outgoing model, it seems more solid and purposeful. The pictures don't do it enough justice. BMW has spent a lot of time on the important things, and although I obviously haven't ridden it, I think this bike will be a corker.

The side stand and centre stand are more rugged, the screen adjuster is a fantastic idea, and should have been thought of years ago. The new display is much better. There are lots of buttons, but shouldn't take too long to get used to. The cross spoke wheels have a Matt finish which looks good. Overall, BMW has hit the nail on the head with this new bike IMO.:clap

It's gonna be a long 3 months:lol3
  6. Nyuscdjs

Nyuscdjs Adventurer

Oddometer:

If you had to choose again between the 2012 GSA or the 2013 GS, which would you do? I'm faced with this choice coming from a 2005 1200GS and would be very interested in your opinion.

Thanks
  7. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I'm coming from a 2005 r12GS to having my deposit down and salivating over the new 2013 waterboxer.
    My father has a 2012 r12 GSA triple black and it is a NICE ride. I rode it for the first time this weekend. It feels like a Cadillac on the tarmac, but I can instantly tell it's ready for off road as well with a wonderful ESA, which the 2013 will have as an option.
    If you are looking to do long distance rides and don't care to stop a lot, get the GSA because it has a bigger fuel tank.
    If you are looking for more horsepower, lighter bike, get the 2013 water boxer. I don't like riding more than 100-150 miles without stopping, so a large fuel tank isn't for me. It's going to have the same features/options and more that the 2012 GSA has, minus the large fuel tank and crash bars. It will have a really neat LED package feature(i hope it's available in the states).

My vote is going to be on the 2013 water boxer. I've sat on it at the road show and it feels great. Unfortunately, they didn't have a key so I couldn't hear it started.

Remember, the 2013 is an ENTIRELY different bike, almost everything is new on this bike. You are taking somewhat of a risk as a consumer being a beta tester for BMW, but I'm really not too worried about it. If there's a major problem, BMW will do a recall. You'll have a 3 year warranty as well.

Welcome to ADV :)
  8. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO, go for the 2013, as it will be an awesome machine. I run a 2012 triple black 12gs and am trading it in against the new model. Yes, I've lost a bit of money, but its so gonna be worth it.

I'm not normally suckered in to getting the emporers new clothes, but this is my only vice in life and numbers on paper isn't gonna get the heart racing as much!:lol3
  9. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    What color are you getting, Rich? Have you put your deposit down? Once my dad see's and rides my water boxer, I bet he will want the 2014 GSA water boxer if it arrives:lol3
    I'm getting the redhead model :clap
  10. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going for Thunder Grey, but the Alpine white ones at the show with cross spoke wheels does look nice. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Nyuscdjs

Nyuscdjs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely wire wheels. Went cast on my 1200 and wished I went the other way. No problems but wire is stronger and looks more appropriate. I have yellow now, prefer grey, but white is growing on me.
  12. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think my order of preference for the new colors goes:

Red > White > Grey > Blue

I would be extremely happy with either the Red or White.
  13. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review. Can't wait to see it at the Long Beach show next month. The GS that's doing the show circuit over here didn't have the LEDs, I'm curious, did the GS's at your show have LEDs? At least one looks like no, from the pics.
  14. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Hmm, so much for the theory that the new integrated gearbox is going to shift better then eh?
  15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm just the opposite...have wire now and want the new cast wheels.
  16. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The white looks great in some of those BMW pics from africa
  17. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the white as well.
  18. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, some had the LED's and some had regular lights. I've gone for LED on mine:clap

I have wire now and ordered wire on the new one. When I first saw them on Saturday, I didn't like the look of them, but as the day went on, the more I saw them, the more I liked them. I like that the cast wheels will be easier to keep clean, but as its an adventure bike, it has to have wire wheels (I think!).

If the wire wheels were black as on the current 12, I'd have no doubt, but the new bike comes with brushed silver wheels. As the new frame is silver, the wheels actually look ok. Just guess I'll have to get used to it.
  19. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does look good. My other bike is white, so I'd like a contrast, hence the Thunder Grey, but I may change my mind and switch to Alpine White:lol3
  20. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    Any reason you want alloy over wire? Aesthetics? Ability to clean? I'm currently alloy on my 05 GS and want wire.