Center Stand for XR650L and XT225

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Cigar Mike, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Great to here of the progress and can't wait to see the finished product the 1 3/4" clearance on the rear is just what the doctor ordered. Let me know when you are ready to start taking orders and I will pay-pal you the funds!
  2. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did make some of the improved parts today. It was kind of funny because I was using a particle board mock up that Dale made to double check what I made from steel. I think Dale has more hours in this than I do.

It is amazing how much force is involved with this bike. Unless I am 100% certain this will work I will not release it. When I think of what could happen if it failed. It makes me shutter.

Cigar Mike
  3. Sportourer

Sportourer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for the Transalp stand as well! I have an MRA centerstand for a european Transalp that had mounts on the frame for one that I acquired a few years ago. It is supposed to be a duplicate of the one that was available from Honda. If it would help you at all in the development of your stand or to figure out the leverage point to make it easier to lift I would gladly send it to you. I guess I should have offered this sooner, but I never thought about it until I read where you were having some issues with this one.
  4. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. Dale and I both looked at any thing we could find on centerstands for the TA. It appears that the balance point is right in line with the lower shock linkage mounting bolt. That is where we started and it seemed to be about right. We both wanted a stand that could be rocked back on the rear wheel so that the front tire could be removed to fix a flat. So far it appears that additional weight would have to be placed on the rear to hold the front up. We placed 10lbs on Dale's top case and it would hold the front off the ground. Side cases where removed. We also wanted to keep the loss of ground clearance to a minimum. We are just a shade over 1/2" now and I think this is the best we can do.

We will have to check, but it might sit back on the rear once the axle is pulled on the front wheel. That is the way I have it on the wife's XT. When the saddle bags are on. It will sit back on its own. They always are on.

[​IMG]

I have been a little busy with orders so I haven't been able to complete another stand yet. Sorry for the delay. I also am taking a couple of days to make a stand for Patrick Trahan. I will get a couple done for testing by the first of January.

Cigar Mike
  5. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I did make another stand to test fit. I have a few pictures of what should be close to the final design. I wanted to post the pictures to see what you TA owners think. I do see that it is a bit unfinished. But I am too lazy to make everything perfect until I know it will work. Once jigs are made it will be easier.

Yes, I know the tab is not square.:rofl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You should be able to get an idea of how it attaches by looking at this earlier test stand. the stand just clamps on by tightening the three bolts which will clamp onto the rear shock linkage mounting brackets. I did not get an exact weight but it should be around 10-11 lbs.
    [​IMG]

Mario has modified his TA in the area that the stand attaches to. I am waiting to see what he wants to do before I complete the second test stand. I may need another volunteer for testing.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
  6. ujeni

ujeni just doesn't get it

Oddometer:
    The TA stand is looking good to me. As long as you meet four requirements, I'll be in line to buy one:

1. Bolts on with no modifications to the bike.
    2. Does not interfere when riding.
    3. Is reasonably easy to get the bike onto.
    4. Durable and rust resistent...for those of us who are fighting salt water!

Oh yeah, and is a reasonable cost :deal
  7. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    1. The wire bracket that holds the tubes on the left side will need to be altered. Other than that it is a bolt on unit.

2. There is a loss of about 1/2" ground clearance.Whether that will interfere or not, I could not say.

3. Not sure about that. It depends on what you consider easy. They all seem easy to me. But not everyone would agree. I would say that this bike is the hardest one so far.

4. I only rattle can spray paint the stands. I don't know if any coating will stay on. It is hanging on the bottom of the bike. I have another model stand coming back to me with a two part epoxy paint applied. I am hoping that will turn out to be a coating I can apply that will work well. An ADV member is coating it for me.

I have not set the price yet. To be honest I don't know exactly how much time or material I have in making one. I would guess it will be somewhere around $160 based on my experience making the other stands. Not counting the 10% discount for ADV inmates.

I am trying to take all of your points into account. I know what I would want on my bike. I probably over build the stands a little. But if I am not confident in their use I will not make them available.

I am not satisfied with appearance yet. I will perfect that once I am sure this will work.

Thank you for your response.

Cigar Mike
  8. ujeni

Oddometer:
    1. Not a problem at all.
    2. Losing .5 inches is no big deal.
    3. The center stand on my Africa Twin is super hard, while the center stand on my 2007 r1200gs was super easy (go figure). If it is anywhere in the middle, I'll be happy.
    4. Looking forward to hearing about the two-part paint.

$160 minus 10% sounds reasonable to me.

Looking forward to your final product! Thanks for writing back and have a happy new year!
  9. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    I would take one unpainted and have it powder-coated if that's possible? Otherwise send it painted and when it gets chipped up after a while I would powder-coat it then. My brothers company has a powder-coat division so cost is not an issue for me fortunately. Let me know when you are ready to ship and I will forward funds. Oh and by the way " Happy New Year Everyone":clap
  10. Menasco Pirate

Menasco Pirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a weight yet?

Let me know when I can order one!
    Also have a several stock TA's for fit check availible in CA

Steve
  11. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    Kilgore Trout,

Obviously that is not a problem.

Menasco Pirate,

I will weigh a unit Monday and find out. I will try and get one to you for testing next week also.

Thanks,

Mike
  12. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Reading some of these replies just makes me laugh.

"As long as you have a model for my bike of which only 2 were ever produced, they're made of titanium plated in unobtanium, install themselves, the bike goes up with the power of positive thinking, has a lifetime unconditional warranty and costs no more than $40 I'm in!"
  13. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    The stand weighed in at 9lbs 6 ounces.

I think the wants are reasonable. But I am not unaware of the fact that I am the only one in the world that offers the models I make for sell. This is just a hobby for me. There is no need for me to sell a large quantity. That is why custom heights are not a big deal.

Cigar Mike
  14. drivefastandswerve

drivefastandswerve Indianapolis

Oddometer:
    Please, please put me on your list for the 89 Transalp centerstand, looks great, and after last week of pulling maintenance, I'm sooooo ready for the centerstand!! Life will be sooooo smooth after that! :clap

- chuck
  15. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    I received the center stand yesterday and it looks great. Off to install and report by this weekend.

Steve
  16. ujeni

Oddometer:
    Would love to see pics of the stand on your bike Steve! Looking forward to getting one for myself!!
  17. Menasco Pirate

Oddometer:
    I'll shoot a bunch as I put it on

Steve

18. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I thought you were already on the list.

I just want to know if it fits.

If it is easy to install.

If it works.

If it will hold together.

If anyone is strong enough to get the bike on the stand besides Dale and I.

Seems like a lot of ifs.

I guess we will have to wait and see. It does take some time and they don't always work out on the first attempt or the second. I hope the third is a charm. I expect some further tweaking. It usually works out once the stands get into the hands of the inmates and I receive some feedback.

Cigar Mike
  19. drivefastandswerve

drivefastandswerve Indianapolis

Oddometer:
    Thanks CigarMike!! Just let me know when I can order one.

Ps...Do you make one for a '93 XR250R (Honda)?

- chuck

:clap
  20. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I have made a stand for a 2003 XR250R. I don't know if the frame is the same for the 1993 XR250R. If it is like the XR650L/XR600 the frames haven't changed. I hope someone here at ADV knows the answer. Page 5 post #61 shows the stand for the 2003. If you look at that you may be able to tell if it won't fit. I don't think it will indicate if it will.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.