Contacting KTM North America (1190 Adv issues)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by RobZorba, May 8, 2014.

1. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There has been direct contact between owners in Europe, Australia, South Africa and the KTM main distributors, with good results. If inmates in USA decide to contact or complain to KTM North America, here are the contact details:

The man at the top: Jon Eric Burleson
    KTM-North America Inc.
    1119 Milan Avenue
    Amherst, Ohio 44001
    Customer Service Phone: 440-985-3553​

A recorded delivery letter, quoting your VBK and delivery reference number, and followed up by a phone call requesting to speak with Jon Eric Burleson is likely to get better results than just phoning up out of the blue.

Key 1190 Adv issues and suggested remedy:
    • Airbox / filter - KTM USA to supply and fit the Unifilter under warranty.
    • Starter / battery - KTM USA to supply the new main cables under warranty, i.e. the ones being fitted to all owners' bikes in RoW.
    • Cooking legs - KTM USA to remedy by supplying and fitting e.g. Wings heat shield under warranty.
    • Welcome pack - Owners in RoW get a welcome pack and owner registration / warranty card. KTM USA to remedy this for all USA owners.
    • Customer communications - KTM USA to ensure web site "service support" section lists all reported issues and remedies affecting reliability.
    • Reputation and support - KTM USA to appoint a service engineer to monitor AdvRider forum "Orange Crush" section, and respond in the forum on issues of general concern to USA-based owners.
  2. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the number and address
  3. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    How about a Software upgrade for the crappy Speedometer!
    I would be willing to fit all the repair parts. Just send them and I will send a picture of them installed.
  4. whitewater18

whitewater18 funhog

Oddometer:
    Thats why I'm waiting till 2015 for my 1190R. :deal
  5. srosa

srosa Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    These pretty much capture my complaints and your suggestion about KTM monitoring this forum is a good one. I have a newer Ford vehicle and manufacturer representatives monitor and participate in the model-specific forum for my car. They volunteer to take on service issues when the dealer's support is unsatisfactory to the owner. If a company as large as Ford can support their customer base in this manner, KTM should be able to manage it.
  6. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Don't forget about your reduced warranty if the speedo/odometer over registers. ;)

7. AmericanWalkabout

AmericanWalkabout Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer:
    I would add to that list firmware upgrade to resolve fuel range calculation (currently shows only in KM, regardless of other settings); TPMS - tire pressures are always inaccurate (mine are 3psi off, others report other errors).

Bringing these issues up to your dealer is something I would do first as KTM USA will ask if you have and just send you back if not. They will also slam the dealer if you have talked to them and they didn't help so be prepared if you know them. I used to own a Suzuki dealership and the processes are similar I'm sure.
  8. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:

I believe they have moved to California. Combined with the old Husky headquarters out there.

"R" owners have a legitimate complaint over the one year warranty. The warranty difference wasn't even announced until after I had taken delivery!​
  9. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is a "welcome pack"? Is that the black and orange KTM satchel that comes with every new KTM that includes the toolkit, catalogs, manuals, etc?

If you didn't get it with your 1190 I'd be putting some serious foot to ass to your motorcycle dealer.
  10. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes its a black folder with the ready to race words on it.
    Here in Australia every owner gets it, its mandatory.
    If an dealer doesnt give you this then it makes them look like dickheads.
    Or they havent been given it, by the main KTM HQ, they dont have it to give to owners..:cry
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, US market we get a black vinyl satchel with orange and white lettering with the KTM logo and ready to race on it and some other stuff. They usually throw the toolkit, manual, extra parts, warranty info, pre-delivery checklist, your purchase paperwork, and an orange KTM pen in there. It has your VIN usually written on it too. I think it comes standard in the shipping box. I've gotten one for each of the 3 KTM's I've purchased new, so if you aren't getting one in the US market, I'd be yelling.
  12. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    My OP was just a "starter for 10". The goal is to actually write your own letter(s) with whatever you feel is important to say. Please post in this thread after you've written a letter and posted it?
  13. Siel2675

Siel2675 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a little confused. I recently (April 2014) bought a 1190 Adv from a local dealer here in Houston.

Are you saying that KTM North America is going to resolve these issues through the dealers? Or is this a case by case basis, where each individual needs to contact KTM to have them resolved?

Thanks for the info... this is my first KTM. So I'm new to dealing with them and how they typically work.
  14. AmericanWalkabout

Oddometer:
    At present KTM USA is doing NOTHING about any of the issues listed, and any dealers I've spoken to have either denied the issues or said probably something you did wrong. Reality is, it's a new bike, KTM USA gives lousy training and the dealers mostly have KTM as a 3rd or 4th line = they have little time for it.
    The idea was if enough of us write in MAYBE KTM will get off their ass and do something but don't hold your breath.

This forum and fixing it yourself seems to be the best way to resolve issues, although it will cost your own $$.

Just for the record, I love the bike and other than electronic glitches have had no issues that have actually stopped me riding.
  15. RobZorba

Oddometer:
    I'm sure everyone knows that KTM's national Distributor is the "piper" that sets policy in each country - that is then followed for better or for worse by each KTM dealer who sings the tune played by the "piper".

One of the best national distributors seems to be Greg Chambers in Australia. He is approachable, listens to customers, and puts good policies in place for KTM customers in Australia. As you know, Greg Chambers is supplying all Australia 1190 Adv owners with Unifilters under warranty. His communications with owners is good. In France, the national distributor attended a meeting with owners and it resulted in a 1 year extension to warranties for all European purchasers of 2013 MY 1190's. Also in Greece the national distributor KTM 500 is doing a great job, and I have no complaints with my 2014 MY 1190 Adv and how it is looked after here.

But ... I feel for you guys in the USA. You are getting a "rough ride" from the "piper" through no fault of your own, except that you "give in" too easily and assume you can "fix it" yourselves. Those of us in RoW are trying to help you by telling you what KTM distributors elsewhere are doing for us, and its pretty good. We've had many "warranty fixes" e.g. the replacement main cables that fix the starting problems, and in the USA the dealers don't even know about this? Crazy man! With respect, you need to fall back on your warranties much more and get the "piper" to improve communications and resolve issues for you - instead of trying to do it yourselves.

imo, USA inmates will get better warranty service in the USA by writing en-mass to the national distributor to air your complaints, then following up with phone calls if necessary. Continuing to try to "fix it" yourselves will only make the bad situation worse.
  16. AmericanWalkabout

Oddometer:
    I agree with you completely. For me at least, the nearest dealer is 75 miles away. My time cost of going there, then waiting to speak to someone, then leaving the bike for days with outcome likely poor is not worth it. It's just easier to buy the Uni filter and heat shields and install myself. That's not to say I won't call the dealer and/or other dealers and maybe write to KTM but cost to buy the parts is minimal compared to the hassle of the run around given by the various levels of institution.
    This is the home of the profit margin and most dealers care more about that than repeat customers. That's why I left the business. Customers are trained to only care about price and dealers about profit. Makes a hard clash. There are of course exceptions but not where I live.

17. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
  18. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally agree! Since I too live in this area and we truly have no decent dealers to speak of. I too refuse to leave my bike at these dealers around here. It's guaranteed to sit for 3+ weeks and they won't even have a clue of what's wrong. When I eventually get it back I'll end up fixing the original problem plus the additional things they broke in their troubleshooting process. In fact what's real scary is that the dealer I purchased my bike from, which represents over 10 different brands of motorcycles, didn't even have a bottle of blue Loc-tite in their shop.... :eek1:eek1
  19. MotoWhaler

MotoWhaler Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. lowdowncoyote

lowdowncoyote 10 Millimeters from Madness

Oddometer:
    I sent a certified letter to KTM-USA today concerning the '14 speedo, slow cranking, and unresponsive dealers... I called my local dealer in March (I'm in Montana) about performing my initial 620mi. service. They quoted me a minimum of three weeks out on service. That was intolerable so I bought a service manual and did everything on my own, save for the stuff that requires the KTM Diagnostics Tool.