Hey Guys,,,,,

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Retics, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi, I am from Canada Eh lol.

I havent done any crazy long touring yet as I have just commuted city to city and some small back country roads, between Fort McMurray and south of Calgary, more day runs and such of that sort.

I have the wrong bike for the type of tours I want to do and have come here to read the stories, get tips and info on some of the adventure riders out there.
    I haven't been able to find a suitable BMW 1150 GSA here in my area, not many people seem to have them, or at least don't want to give them up.
    I have read some of the posts on importing from the states and information provided seems quite helpful. We will soon see what I can find for spring riding season. Cheers to you all and happy travels. Play safe.

I will post a few of my oddball pictures of my last mud run when I get a chance too.
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome! I lived in Saskatoon for a number of years and got to know some great ADVers in the Edmonton area. There is a rather active thread up in the 'Canada' regional for Albertan hijinks. :thumb

Just don't let curbjumper pick you up from your hotel. He does not bring a car. :nah

[​IMG]
  3. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks, Haha, just found the Canada section.
  4. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    Ai mon!
  5. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard!

I love Canada. This is me, in the middle, with my brother and a friend, on the Dempster, enroute to Inuvik.

[​IMG]

Tom in Salem
  6. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    Thats an awesome picture, I grew up on the Alaska hwy for the better part of my childhood . My parents and grand parents owned Coal River Lodge at mile 533 from 1969 to 1998.

I have never made it much farther then Whitehorse after all my years up in that country.
  7. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Youse guys talk funny.......

:D
  8. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Chiefrider,

Great pic.

I cannot believe that you got to ride to the Arctic Circle w/ Red Green!!!
  9. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    R1150 GSAs are rarer than hens teeth in this area of Canada.
    I stumbled upon one 2 years ago with 10,000km on it in Nova Scotia. I assume it is because we had no dealer here at that time but to my knowledge it is the only one in Newfoundland.
    Good luck with your search. They do exist.
  10. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need an 1150 GSA to tour on. Lots of other bikes will comfortably and capably take you wherever you want to tour.
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what ya riding now, eh?
  12. chiefrider

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Tom in Salem
  13. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    ADV touring is sometimes more of a mental activity. You can do it on anything if you're ambitious enough. Obviously, something lighter will be easier in real loose stuff. Determination is a much bigger factor than the bike. KLR 650's are cheap, reasonably light and easy to ride. They have big fuel tanks (important if you're way up north), but If you have your heart set on a GS1150, then you won't be happy unless you find one, even if it may not be the best bike for you. There might even be one or two in the Canadian Flea market section right now.
    What are you riding now?
  14. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    eh?
  15. chiefrider

Oddometer:
    Kommando and McJamie are right. Don't fixate on brand. My trips north I saw mostly BMW GS singles and twins, Suzuki V-Stroms (mostly 650) and the celebrated and maligned Kawasaki KLR 650s.

The Beemers do work well, though.

I really enjoy my long-on-the-tooth 1993 GSPD. Power for headwinds and two up. Great support by aftermarket. Maintenance is easy. Great fuel range. People ask if you're Greg Frazier.

[​IMG]

Tom in Salem
  16. Retics

Retics n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I found a 2005 GS Adventure. Somebody had replied to my wanted ad on kijij. It has 21000 km black and yellow minor scuffs on the crash bars on one side from a fall over but everything else is good. $8000 . I should have home by the end of the month. Anything else that should be done for servicing at 21k? I was over the whole bike and ran through the gears . Everything looks pretty smooth so far.
  17. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    Glad you found what you were looking for.

Sounds like a deal.

Now for some touring!

Be sure to post up in the Ride Reports section, eh?

See ya out there, hoser. :norton
  18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I know a few folks that you might be keen to meet.

Also, there is a Travellers Rally in Nelson, BC. There are guest speakers that will give little talks on different countries, some of the sponsors put on seminars on how to change tires on the road and other mechanical tips, sometimes GPS course and the organizer, Wolfgang, usually has a bratwurst and Warsteiner bbq arranged for one of the nights.

You should check it out. It's a great time, great location and you'll meet a ton of great people.
  19. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, in answer to your question, a full fluids change is always a good idea.

The brake fluid is important to change.

I understand that if it doesn't get done, it can lead to corrosion in the ABS unit,

which is retarded expensive to replace.

(I've been quoted $3,000 to $4000 for a new unit installed on my '03 K1200GT; I hope it never fails!!)

Maintain her well; it's cheaper than the alternative.
  20. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope that is not one of the ones with final drive problems. As for ABS failing, par for the course. I'll stick to non ABS bikes. I like the KLR650, and the DR650, with a larger tank. Centerstands are available for both. I believe the R--GS comes stock with a centerstand, and most of them have tubeless tires.