Waterproof Gearbags

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dirtfarmerrich, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Giantloop works for me...
    It dosen't come with a periscope but so long as you keep the rubber side down it should keep anything inside dry except the inside of a tequila bottle and even that is suspect after a night or two.

and +4 on the Ortleib bags.
  2. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a Cabellas boundry waters bag in XL. It looks pretty big, but fits across the GSA cases just right. Its 36" long by 16" around. The cases are 39" across. Now I just have to find the right sleeping bag and tent and maybe an air mattress.
  3. sierraoffroad

sierraoffroad Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. ozart

ozart Just ride

Oddometer:
    Been using the yellow one from wally for about 3 years now. In this picture, it's packed with a 3-man tent, wiggy nautilus bag, and 25" wide air mattress folded and rolled.

[​IMG]

If I break camp wet, the tent stays outside the bag. I have a 2.2 bills bag from my WW canoeing days that is larger, thicker, and more durable, but the wally bag is just the right size and has held up well.
  5. wshoc840

wshoc840 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go round and round with bags, but I seem to always go back to my ortleib. I have my sleeping bag, thermarest pro-lite 3 and bibler awahanee tent poles, stakes, plus an extra jacket in mine.

The duffel style is the best to use for ease of finding stuff. If you use the long style, it never fails, the one thing you need is always on the bottom. Wolfman does make a great bag and I think its a little fatter, but shorter.

[​IMG]
  6. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    Yup.

I put my sleeping bag in that, and then can add that to a 2-man tent, thermarest, and a kermit chair, which can all fit in an Ortlieb duffle. Ortliebs are tough as nails.
  7. weed099

weed099 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer Helen2Wheels bags. I have 2 of them. One for the tent, and the other for Thermarest, sleeping bag, and pillow.
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I settled on the cabelas, 24x12x12, since its soft a 25" thermarest will fit just fine. In it I have

large tent
    tarp\guylines\stakes\tarp pole
    2 sleeping bags (liner, clean warm socks and a beanie stuffed into my sleeping bag)
    2 sleeping pads (or simetimes one extra wide pad)
    Kermit chair
    GSI Macro table
    cooking gear\stove\pots\pans (fuel bottle it outside the bag and bike).
    Sometimes I even lay my cot on the bottom of the bag (24x2x5)
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
  11. meta

meta Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    I have the SeaLine Zip-Top Duffle in the bigger 75 liter size. It has a zipper, but it's proven to be water-tight, even in gully-washers at highway speeds. I can get the three person tent, sleeping bag, chair, shoes and air mattress into it. I can also stuff in some smaller items like gloves, snacks, etc. The zipper makes it easy to get the smaller items like gloves out of the bag without having to unstrap the whole bag and unrolling the top.

[​IMG]
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    One of these would make an excellent dry bag. If it's guaranteed not to leak Out then water can also not get IN. Plus once you unload your crap you can fill it with ice (or activate a couple of the techi-ice sheets) and dump your beer in there.

The 48pk model would be about right as a camp bag, or if you're running mostly lightweight backpacking grade stuff you can step down a size to the 24pk model. Spend the extra $5 (or $2.50 with the coupon) on the solar silver cooler (might help keep things cooler, longer)

50% off with coupon code 2112

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]