Newfoundland 2014

Discussion in 'Americas' started by apexal, Mar 23, 2014.

1. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I posted a thread for a proposed trip to <?xml:namespace prefix = "st1" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Newfoundland</st1:place></st1:State> in Sept of 2013. Here's the link:<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906294<o:p></o:p>
    I got some great feedback in the thread but unfortunately I never made it up to the rock. I was going to take a midnight ferry from <st1:place w:st="on">North Sydney</st1:place> but earlier on that same day I dumped my bike on a ride in the rain up to Meat Cove. My bike was pretty much okay but my back was hurting and my spirits were hurting, too. And when I got to North Sydney it was gray and still raining and the forecast for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Newfoundland</st1:State></st1:place> was 7 straight days of rain. So I canceled my plans for <st1:State w:st="on">Newfoundland</st1:State> and went back to ride <st1:State w:st="on">Nova Scotia</st1:State>, <st1:State w:st="on">PEI</st1:State>, a bit of NB and eventually back to <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Maine</st1:place></st1:State>.<o:p></o:p>
    So this year I'm determined more than ever to do a trip to <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Newfoundland</st1:place></st1:State> and looking for at least one riding partner. I'm thinking of a 3 week trip, maybe June or September but most likely July or August. It would be a similar plan as last year: 3 days or so from <st1:State w:st="on">Maine</st1:State> to North Sydney, midnight ferry to Port aux Basques, a couple weeks on <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Newfoundland</st1:place></st1:State>, and probably taking the ferry back from Port aux Basques. <o:p></o:p>
    Read my thread from last year and you'll get an idea of what I'm interested in and looking for. Last year I was able to ride from <st1:City w:st="on">Belfast</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Maine</st1:State> straight through to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Amherst</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Shore</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Provincial</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> which was quite nice. That gave me two full days to reach <st1:place w:st="on">North Sydney</st1:place> which was a nice pace after blasting up through NB. But I really want to get to <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Newfoundland</st1:place></st1:State>. So if you'd like to team up for the trip please get in touch. <o:p></o:p>
  2. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I was wondering what happened to you. Good to hear you are still interested in a trip here.
    I was at the last ferry from Argentia last year bringing down a couple of inmates (UKBri and Sturgis Chick) that had been here 10 weeks. He had ridden a lot of it but still did not see it all.
  3. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't know how much I want to get up there! I'm still pretty new at doing trips and riding long distances but I've been learning.

Tell me, how is it in July and August? How is it for ferry tickets, room availability and camp site availability?
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have never had a problem with the ferry and have only reserved my space a day in advance.
    As for camping....I have never had an issue but are you aware that it is no problem to camp anywhere you want. Unless the land is privately owned you can camp on beaches, headlands, pondside etc.
    Rattling Brook Falls is a nice spot because they have free tent platforms on the stairs to the fall viewing platform. it is near Springdale.
  5. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you talk to the ferry people they lead you to believe that space is scarce and sign up as soon as possible. This time around I'm okay with buying tickets for out and back to make sure that I follow through with the plan.

I'm aware of the open camping concept but first choice is campground. But camping on a beach? How can you beat that? And I will check out Rattling Brook. It sounds quite nice.
  6. ManOfIce

ManOfIce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy! I am planning a trip around North and South America leaving in the next few months, and I could be aiming at Newfoundland around June. I'm not sure you're set on going in July, but if you have a bit of flex, I might be able to link up with you. Hit me via PM for more info.
  7. Anfoking

Anfoking n00b

Oddometer:
    If you need a riding buddy I live in Newfoundland but will be out of the country for most of June. If you want a riding partner for central give me a shout
    <mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%&quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quot;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&quot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Buffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&quot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quot;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:false,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlayOnBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;quality&quot;:&quot;default&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:false,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:true,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot;turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>
  8. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like I will be working until the end of June and retiring at that time. So I'll only be able to start traveling in July. If your trip gets delayed me me a shout.
  9. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like I will be working until the end of June and retiring at that time. So I'll be able to start traveling in July. Where in the central part do you live? I'd like to give Newfoundland at least 3 weeks or so.
  10. UKbri

UKbri Just a Rider

Oddometer:
    5000 miles to be exact (ish)
  11. jacob_ns

jacob_ns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's currently a thread going that plans for 10 days on the rock + travel each way that is fairly substantially planned to date. Check it out! I know a couple of guys are trailering bikes from North Virginia to Sydney NS.

We Want to Ride The Rock Again -- This Time Mo' Betta!
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920641
  12. 2upadv

2upadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are planning a trip to the rock the last week of June from Upstate NY. Only have 9 days so the only plan is to catch the Midnight ferry with a berth so we can sleep and be rested for the next day. We enjoy camping at the Provincial and National Parks so reservations will have to be made as soon as they open for the year.

Going to watch this thread for Ideas:D
  13. ifthis

ifthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    luckily the bike did not make it. mazda 2 rental. took the late ferry out, there is a campground an hour in to stay at.need reservations. one ferry had crashed.
    we stayed at the first tourist center. no problem. US phones die. even the gps went to galic.
    head north to lans de medows
    we needed moose and late in the season, could not by it. bartendress at rays took us to her house and gave us plenty.
    this happend all over the rock. kelleys pub in grandfalls-winser is a must. took us out everynight. even an elvis bar. get the canned moose at bidgoods dont eat the seal. really jut tell your friends you did. bad, really bad.
    ferry was booked full for 3 days getting back at end of season.
    second hand shop in lans de medows. it did snow in august.
    lots of wild puppies. not wolf, dont ride after dark.
  14. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going too soon for me and 9 days is way too little time for my liking. I'm retiring on June 28th and have a week on the lake in early July so it looks like I won't be leaving until the week of July 13th.

Hopefully some good, helpful things will show up on this thread. Also, look up postings from damurph. He gives great feedback and great advice for anything to do with Newfoundland.
  15. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim there's also the overnight ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia that starts service again mid May that'll save you the daytime riding up and around to NS. http://novastarcruises.com

16. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi apexal. Our paths may cross this summer as I'll be riding the Rock with the previously mentioned "Mo Betta" crew in August.
  17. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get lost trying to follow those lengthy threads but let me go back and read through it all. I'm fine with doing the whole trip solo but hooking up along the way would be much better. I was also thinking that I might be able to connect with somebody on the ferry. But to tell the truth, I spent a week in NS last August and only spoke to one other biker on the whole trip. I just did not see that many motorcycles out there. Maybe they saw me coming and were hiding :-)
  18. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's some good beta in that thread and the previous season's RR http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172 on sites to see, communities, weather, routes/trail conditions, and so forth. The ride is geared for 650 and under thumpers. I'll be on my WR250R Teenéré and plan on doing a large loop from NY up and east to the Rock and then up and west via the TCAT through Labrador, Quebec, Ontario and back - conditions permitting. I'll be rolling solo also, except for the Rock Mo Betta portion and what ever plays out en route. I like a mix of organized group and solo exploring time on extended road trips.
  19. kithough

kithough FL Snowbird

Oddometer:
    Crossing paths is always a good thing. This is my retirement ride also. Work ends at end of June, but am going to BMW MOA rally end of July, then Maine, then TLH and NFLD. If i don't have a ride mate for the TLH, might camp along the road until another rider shows up who wants a partner for the wilderness. Can leave ME on Aug 9 or 10.
  20. xuare

xuare Gravity wins again

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

I am also planning on taking a ride up there in the July-early Aug timeframe, though I ill probably head more North (up the west side of TLH and keep going North when I run out of road around N 53.901456, W 64.525636 if fuel permits) starting from Eastern upstate NY. I'll also keep an eye out (thanks for starting the thread!.