College Football 2012

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NativeSon, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are one bitter little troll. :lol3

While I acknowledge your expertise on teams that suck, ahem. I would love to hear how you lump the Gators into that category.:deal

Some us were against expansion, but I don't remember anyone suggesting that aTm wasn't a good fit. They are a great fit and have a delightfully crazy fanbase. They have earned our respect, Missouri, not so much. I'll say this too.... No SEC, no Johnny Heisman. It is mutually beneficial and he wouldn't have had the same stage in "big" XII.....and from my perspective, victory over this years Heisman winner is another small notation for UF's 2012 season.

While us Southerners know that we have already seen THE championship game this year, I for one will be pulling for all 9 SEC teams playing in this seasons exhibition series, and honestly wouldn't be surprised by clean sweep....would you?
  2. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You the man Jurgen!

I agree with you about the hilarity of the embrace of TA&M, most of the SEC guys on this board thought they would finish no more than 9th in the Conference, and here they are with a Top 10 finish in the country, and a freshman redshirt HT winner.

Funny how a team that was mediocre at best in the Big 12, could come into the SEC and pretty much change the landscape, and could possibly be the only team to have beaten the NC. So much for SEC superiority. :D
  3. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    Can I remind you of a little something? The only reason the SEC has any shot at the NC at all, is because Oregon and KSt blew games that they should have won, and Ohio State is not bowl eligible.
  4. ScottDill

Oddometer:

Did you just start watching college football? That's almost always the way it works.

...and I'm not so sure about Ohio State....they're SoS is terrible.
  5. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will like him. Runs a very good, classy program. Players are good students and he insists that they be active in the community and good people....no hint of any scandals by players or coaches in his history. In his 6 years as a head coach, he has won/shared league championships almost every year. His teams have not been flashy offensive teams, but that may have been more based on lack of a really good QB and receivers more than lack of a scheme.

Well liked and well respected by his players, media, and fans as well. There are some hurt feelings in the bearcatnation after this past week, by a small group, but most seem to wish him well and be willing to move ahead. Especially after yesterday's blockbuster surprise hiring...LOL

Side note re: new coach T @ UC.........his wife is from SE Indiana, just outside Cincinnati, parent-inlaw's and other family members still live there. Nephew is QB at local HS, worked with UC AD while both at Auburn, so he does have ties to the area. Still, major surprise to virtually everyone in the area......never heard his name even mentioned as possiblity.
  6. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess you could say the only reason Alabama is not already NC, is they lost a game they should have won. That is why the game is played.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'd be amazed if he came back for his JR year.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda. It's college football. :asshat
  9. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    Lad, do you ever tire of being wrong? Since 1990, there have been 17 undefeated NC teams and 9 with 1 or more losses. So it's not "almost always the way it works."

By a pretty good margin, most NC teams don't "back into" a NC.

And Lad, I'm soon to be 64, and I'm pretty sure I've seen enough football for me to state a qualified opinion.

I will concede you one thing though, I'm pretty sure you know more about Canadian football than I do. American football, no so much. :1drink
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'm sure getting rid of that tool Sherman and picking up Sumlin, not to mention recruiting Jophnny Football had nothing to do with it. Oh, and I guess you completely forgot the fact that AR has PWNED the Ags up until this year. :lol3
  11. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    Look the kid is great, no doubt. But he is barely 6' tall. NFL teams like their QB's a little taller. But RG3 is changing the game, so who knows? :dunno
  12. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    If a conference is truly superior, they wouldn't need, woulda, shoulda, coulda, would they? :brow
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    He's got much more raw talent then Teebow, while he may not get drafted in the 1st couple rounds, he will get drafted. No sense submitting yourself to the kind of punishment and risk getting injured anymore then you have too.
  14. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    You just reinforced what I was saying about the SEC and Texas A&M, and you don't even know it. :norton
  15. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    They didn't need woulda, shoulda, coulda, OSU, KSU and Oregon did. :rofl

Funny, Tressel was so desperate to beat a SEC team that he broke all the rules to be able to play those guys and still almost lost the game. :lol3
  16. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    Saying someone has more raw talent than Tebow is not really saying much. :lol3
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    All I did was state facts. :lol3 What's really sad, is aTm is 1-3 in the series since we started playing each other again and every game has been played in TEXAS. :rofl
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    He had enough talent to win a Heisman, and even get a few starts in the NFL. Even the worst player in the NFL has talent. But I get what you're saying. Compared to Tom Brady he's a joke. :D Believe me, I'm no Teebow fan, Dmac should have won that Heisman. :D
  19. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    Yep, TA&M was mediocre in the Big 12 and once they got into the SEC, they are 9th in the country. All with a new coach, and a freshman red-shirt QB, and a 2011 record of 7-6, and a losing record of 4-5 in the Big 12.

Amazing what they have achieved in such a superior conference. :smooch
  20. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    I'll concede that you are old, but not that you are very well informed. :lol3

"Lad"? You really are an idiot...or at least play one on the interweb. Canadian football??? WTF??? Again, you haven't been paying attention.....I'm not Canadian...not that there's anything wrong with that. :augie

No one backed into the MNC....It's based on polls at the end of the season. No such thing as a real NC in division I college football anyway....Where do you get 17? You have to be VERY liberal with your choosing of which poll results you use to get that number. You really can only go back as far as the 1998 season with the creation of the BSC and inclusion of all of the major players into the MNC game in this case.

I only count 6 match ups of undefeated teams. So I'll concede that 9/15 may not be "almost always", so let's just agree on "usually".