Barn Find: mid 70s Yamaha YZ250 for $25!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by BuellGrrrl, Oct 9, 2011.

1. BuellGrrrl

BuellGrrrl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It'd been a long day at the auction. The bill promised a '63 Corvair, '73 VW, Honda MB5, and a "Yamaha 250". I'd gotten up at 4:30 am, and driven 200 miles, the last half dozen down a bad dirt road. The Corvair turned out to be a relatively rust free 4 door with a brake pedal that went straight to the floor and a shift linkage so vague that I couldn't tell if it was a 3 or 4 speed. I set a limit of $200 on it and the local scrap dealer went to $225... He was surprised when I told him it only weighed 2300 pounds. The VW turns out to be a rare Type 4, but with rust on the "A" pillar almost up to the greenhouse it was beyond restoration. A local kid bid $350 for it, and with enough bondo it should keep him busy and maybe last for a couple years. At 5 pm, after auctioning off hundreds of old tractors, cars, trucks, scrap, etc. they finally got to the motorcycles. The "Yamaha 250" turned out to be an old MX bike, I was hoping for a YD era 250 twin, but heck, at least it's not a 250 Virago. The auctioner tries to start at $100, I and everyone else ignore him until he got to $25, and then I made the only bid. Ten seconds later the MB5 is up, I again throw in a bid at $25 but a local teenager bids $35. I've already "caught one" today, so I shake my head "no" and back off. He scores the MB5 for $35 and I hope he gets it running and has a ball with it.

From previous examination I'd noted the YZ's engine wouldn't budge and the right side cover, kickstarter, and a bunch of smaller bits are missing... But for $25, I'm not complaining. Closer examination today reveals a serial number for the engine that would fit into the '76 model run, although the frame number is way higher and the plastic's colors suggest a '75.

I suspect my next step is to lay on the penetrating oil and see if I can free up the engine. Assuming that's possible, I suspect the next hassle will be finding the sidecover and kickstarters. After that all it needs is tires, air filter, clutch lever, brake lever, cables, instrument(s),...

Any suggestions... I mean, where do I start?
  2. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you start? Start with posting pics! :lol3
  3. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    You sure it a yz not a mx or dt ? Post some pics. We want to see it.
  4. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Skip the penetrating oil and disassemble the head, cylinder.
  5. BuellGrrrl

Oddometer:
    The serial number suggests a YZ, but the seat height seems low- I'm 5-8 and can flat foot it. Then again, the suspension is pretty well sacked.
  6. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Pictures...
  7. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    mid 70s yz's were still low enough for a person 5,8 to flat foot. It wasn't till the 80s that they got really tall.
  8. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Yup, but like everyone else said.... post pic's
  9. BuellGrrrl

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but looks like ADV can't handle my 3 meg pix, and if I degrade it to their 200k or so limit it'll be useless. So we'll just have to be old school and "use our words".

The bike has a black frame and monoshock linkage with white tank and rear fenders, the sidecovers are missing and the front fender is aftermarket. The tank graphics are a red horizontal trapizoid with a black vertical rectangle with "250" and "Yamaha" in white letters in that black rectangle. From what I've seen on the web, that looks like a '75 but the number on the engine puts it in the '76 range and the frame number doesn't match and is above the range for a '76. Yamaha changed the numbering system in '77, so who knows what exactly it is?
  10. ctune80

ctune80 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The graphic you are describing makes it sound like a 1975 MX250. Without seeing a pic that would be best guess. The Engine and frame numbers should match on that bike. What is the 3 digit prefix of the motor and frame numbers if you don't mind me asking?

The photo dilemna can be solved by hosting your pics on photobucket and then linking to them
    Good luck with your project!
  11. BuellGrrrl

Oddometer:
    509-006985 on the frame and 509-101158 on the engine.
  12. ctune80

ctune80 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

1975 MX250B . Color: White W/Portuguese Orange . 509- Prefix Serials from 000101 to 007340
    Is what I show. Your frame number falls in to the end of the model run.

The 76 YZ 250C engine would bolt right in, not sure of the VIN's for that bike. I would think it
    would be a different prefix, but not positive.

Edit just found this the YZC Serials are 509-100101 - 103405 so that answers it.

1975 was the last year for the MX250, the YZC was basically the same bike painted Yellow/Black
    There was a mid year YZ 250X that was the YZC with air canister forks too.
  13. BuellGrrrl

Oddometer:
    It has air caps on the forks, so maybe it's a midyear YZ250X. Oh well, time to wash off the manure and mouse entrails so I can bring it in the shop and take the head off...
  14. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice find! Good luck with it.
    :wave
  15. azcycle

azcycle Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer:
    You might want to try tinypic.com to upload your photos. They have custom-size selection, etc... Then just copy/paste the code they provide in your post.