Why did BMW boot the R1200ST

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by walkingbear, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    When you are only buying 4 gallons at a time the 30 cents for super doesn't seem like a big deal. I always ran 93 octane in the RSV-R and ST3. I was curious what was recommended. How about oil? Full synthetic, half, or Dino?
  2. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, you're right.

The manual has recommended viscosities, and I, or someone here, can give you those (don't have it handy this minute).

As for synthetic oil, if you're going to use it, you will want to make sure that the engine is fully broken in, which can take some time with Oilers and Hexheads. At 15,000 miles, your bike's engine is probably broken in. Other than that, I will make no suggestions about which to use. :hide
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Depends on how much you ride, but I prefer not to waste my money. Just me I am sure.

Full synthetic for oil, but again, that is just me.

Jim :brow
  4. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
  5. tjconc

tjconc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting her home.

I'm even more frugal (read -> cheap) than Jim. I've always run regular gas and 20W-50 dino oil (no energy conserving stuff). No problems with knocking or anything else here.

YMMV

TJ
  6. tjconc

tjconc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ST on the cover of the latest BMW Owners' News! :freaky

TJ
  7. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vince just keeps knocking out great issues.
  8. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The owners' manual says to use "Brand name HD oil" of API classification SF, SG or SH, or brand name HD oil of CCMC classification G4 or G5.

An abbreviated list of viscosities are:

- 10 C to above 30 C 20W-50
    - 15 C to above 30 C 15W-50
    - 15 C to 30 C 15W-40
    - 20 C to 20 C 10W-40

Hope you can find a manual.
  9. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I checked E-Bay but none were listed. I'll probably pick up the Hayne's manual at some point.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
  11. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    An owner's manual would be nice. If you could manage that, that would be great Jim. :D
  12. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I'm considering an exhaust upgrade. Looks like Staintune & Remus offer full systems. I have to say I like the carbon fiber look can available with Remus. Anyone running a ST or RT have any personal experiences they'd like to share? Thanks. :freaky
  13. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RT:

I have the Remus header system and Titanium Hexa Cone, and like it a lot. It is easy to keep the noise level down, in built up areas, and the sound is not obtrusive at highway speeds. However, there is a nice snarl when you get on the throttle (of course, the right sound level for any machine is a totally subjective evaluation). The system reduces the bike's weight by 11 kg, which is a bonus.

I had a Remus on my last BMW as well, and I am a big fan of their stuff.

As for carbon fibre, I'll stay out of that debate. :D
  14. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Carbon fiber cans!:thumb:thumb:raabia:rilla:super:happay:rogue:d:ricky:ricky:feelgood:thumb:getiton:viking:viking:viking
  15. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I took a 2007 R1200ST for a test ride yesterday and was very impressed but would value some input.

I thought the ride was a little 'jolty' and changing the ESA didn't seem to do anything (it was showing the symbols for one helmet and bags but the bags weren't fitted). Should the suspension adjust on the fly or do you need to stop?

The front brake was almost vicious at low speed but fine at higher speed bur there was a definite 'buzz' coming back via the front brake lever when the brakes were applied with anything more than gentleness - is that normal?

I thought the motor was beautiful - completely smooth at constant cruise - although there was a definite buzz when accelerating hard - I didn't mind it but wondered if it was normal.

I'm possibly going to look at another one this weekend so it will be interesting to compare the two.

In NZ the ST seems at least 30-50% cheaper than an equivalent year GS which is significant.

Thanks

Mark
  16. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't help you on the ESA; my bike doesn't have it.

The servo assisted brakes are very powerful, and take some getting used to, especially at low speeds. I use two fingers, lightly, for much of my braking. They do buzz a bit. I like the linked servo system a lot, but some don't.

The only bikes I have owned the last 20 years have been boxers, so I don't notice any buzz while accelerating, but you're going to get some at certain rpm's, with any of them. :D

Good luck with your decision. I would think an ST would be a lot of fun on your twisty New Zealand roads. But a GS would work well there, too.
  17. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rinty. The Remus is on the list for when spare funds become available. :D
  18. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ongoing dilemma of priorities. My Remus displaced a couple of upgrades that I had planned for my other fun machine last year. :D
  19. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set of Pazzo levers for her off EBay.
  20. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've put only 250 miles on her so far, and I'm really enjoying the hexhead R12 motor for what it offers over the oilheads (and the parallel twin in the F800ST). :D