User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #31
Traumat1x
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for the replies.

My KLX450R got sold today, now just to sell the YZ250F but I'm starting to look at the KTM exc/XC-W 's.

I pretty much decided against the YZ250 2 now.

I still can't make up my mind on wich one. Everything about the 200 I read and see makes me think that's the one except the times when we will ride dunes. Then I think it may be a bit stressed. The 300 seems to much for me at this stage.

Is the 250 exc/XC-W 's power delivery also more woods and wide range orientated or is it more of a on of feel than either the 200 or 300?
I read this somewhere but can't see how that could be the case, since it's also an exc.

My gut tells me go for the 250exc.
Traumat1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #32
stevo7706
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
I've got a KX125 and a YZ250. My next bike is the new KTM150sx. It should be a dream bike to ride.
Attached Images

stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #33
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,910
Yamaha has a new YZ coming.

http://www.cyclenews.com/431/35050/R...ha-YZ250X.aspx

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #34
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumat1x View Post
...Is the 250 exc/XC-W 's power delivery also more woods and wide range orientated or is it more of a on of feel than either the 200 or 300? I read this somewhere but can't see how that could be the case, since it's also an exc. My gut tells me go for the 250exc.
it's different things for different riders, you'd probably need test rides to see what how you would gel with either bike. if you have any dealers nearby, try a beta RR300 too. these are so silky smooth power-wise that they can be an option for guys who might find the extra hit of a 300 a bit of a handful.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:52 AM   #35
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo7706 View Post
I've got a KX125 and a YZ250. My next bike is the new KTM150sx. It should be a dream bike to ride.
Yeah Buddy, was looking @ those yesterday. Would love to try one out,. Did you see Kailub Russell win the last GNCCs last year on one ?
Old 06-07-2015, 03:55 AM   #36
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
it's different things for different riders, you'd probably need test rides to see what how you would gel with either bike. if you have any dealers nearby, try a beta RR300 too. these are so silky smooth power-wise that they can be an option for guys who might find the extra hit of a 300 a bit of a handful.
B1 knows his stuff ! Go check out his vids.. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972472
Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #37
stevo7706
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Yeah Buddy, was looking @ those yesterday. Would love to try one out,. Did you see Kailub Russell win the last GNCCs last year on one ?
No, but I could see how. I met a guy who has all the KTM dirtbikes (lucky him) and the 150 was his favorite. I rode it and fell in love. It hits that sweetspot for me. He told me to wait till the new ones come out. Looks like I'm going orange!
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #38
Traumat1x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Nice that they are getting competition from Yamaha now.
I definitly wont be buying new now. Kinda new to the Enduro/Funduro/ riding and am not gonn a blow a bunch of cash on a new or almost new bike.
No, I'll be looking at 2010 models and older I'm afraid. imho it's then easier to take a hit if I dont like say a 200 and go up to a 250 or 300 or if I dont like the 250 go down to a 200 without losing too much I think.

Looking @B1's videos almost has me thinking 200 now again
Fantastic videos btw. Not only funny but I'm learning stuff.

I'd like to be able to do some of that trail riding type stuff...and I bet the 200 is easier to learn on than the 250 or 300 for my 85KG frame right?

I also believe in test riding B1, but unlike what I did with all my previous bikes, we dont get to test ride MX/Enduro bikes here. i.e They dont do these day events ec that I'm aware of. My best bet will be to ask for a ride on a stranger at a trail.
Also none of them ride the 200, but they are also all 90KG plus. Looks like Im definitely the most lightweight between them. They all ride KTM 300's and there is a Beta 300rr and a couple of Husqvarna 310's and Gasgas 300's

I guess that should tell me something but, most people gravitate to the bigger bikes on average without thinking it might be too much or that a lighter less powerful bike might make one a better rider.

My inexperienced logic is i cant ride any of these bikes to 100% yet.

If I can ride a 200 exc to 90% or 100% of its ability then I can look at a 250 or 300. But what might be an issue is that, I go to a funduro event, and everyone pitches with a 300 and I can't make a climb on a 200 not because of skill but because it just doesn't have the guts.
The flipside though is I can be riding a 300 and it tires me out on the small switchback trails through the trees where with a 200 I would have been able to gain more experience in the ride and shifting etc rather than trying to keep a 300 uinder control.

My only concern on the 200 tbh from looking at reviews etc is that I can't gather what type of hillclimb would be out of it's reach and will Sandy dunes and trails be taxing the engine. or will it be able to handle it. Keeping in mind my YZ250F handles the sandy trails really well. Haven't taken it on too many hillclimbs or to the dunes yet though.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #39
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
.... I'd like to be able to do some of that trail riding type stuff...and I bet the 200 is easier to learn on than the 250 or 300 for my 85KG frame right?

.....we dont get to test ride MX/Enduro bikes here. i.e They dont do these day events ec that I'm aware of. My best bet will be to ask for a ride on a stranger at a trail. ......
it almost seems to be an australian thing to get the biggest capacity bike you can, but i do know a small handful of guys who deliberately get smaller bikes like the 200 so they can learn their clutch skills to the max.

re: test rides, i have seen guys ask on a forum if anyone would like to meet up for a ride and just swap bikes for five minutes, on the basis that you'll take it very easy but just want to get a feel for what a certain model is like. always plenty of guys happy to show off their bikes and you might meet some new riding buddies?
Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #40
Traumat1x
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
it almost seems to be an australian thing to get the biggest capacity bike you can, but i do know a small handful of guys who deliberately get smaller bikes like the 200 so they can learn their clutch skills to the max.

re: test rides, i have seen guys ask on a forum if anyone would like to meet up for a ride and just swap bikes for five minutes, on the basis that you'll take it very easy but just want to get a feel for what a certain model is like. always plenty of guys happy to show off their bikes and you might meet some new riding buddies?
Yeah I'm definitely gona try bum some rides - hey i can also offer them my YZ250F if the want
The more CC's the better might be a Southern Hemisphere thing then... cause it's the same here in South Africa.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #41
timeOday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:

I bumped into a guy on a new KTM 200 xc-w today out on the trail and offered to swap with my Husaberg FE570 for a few minutes and he said "no thanks"! Sometimes less can be more!

Well I couldn't blame him at all, we'd just met and his KTM looked brand spanking new.
timeOday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #42
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,910
Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely gona try bum some rides - hey i can also offer them my YZ250F if the want
The more CC's the better might be a Southern Hemisphere thing then... cause it's the same here in South Africa.
When I lived in South Africa I had a 520,450 and the 250xcw they were all great bikes but if I could choose just one it would be the 250. For the non linkage models up grade to the Ohlins TTX shock and you will be amazed at how the bike eats up terrain.

There is a guy there that makes these awesome pipe cages. After smashing a few pipes I installed one and never smashed another pipe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #43
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

i went for the force accessories skidplate/exhaust guard. very heavy duty but unlike the one above you probably want to put on a carbon fiber guard as well just for the upper parts of the pipe.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #44
Traumat1x
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely look into the guards. I've been on the hunt, so far nothing that I felt comfortable with (Price wise or weird vibes on the bike history or just really non maintained bikes),.... but I might have found a good 2009 250 xcw.
Wish me luck.