Butler Maps & Rever - motorcycle maps & app for riders by riders

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by eakins, Jul 10, 2010.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Our website

Butler Maps

Updates on the most recent posts.

2.jpg

I have joined w/ Justin & Court @ Butler Maps and i am now their online & rally guy among other things. Since we all love maps & bikes and we don't live too far apart, it all clicked. I started a new thread for this purpose and will close out the old one. So.....

Imagine a waterproof & tear-proof motorcycle map that instantly dials you into absolutely THE best paved roads the western states have to offer.

No more buying a generic paper car map, looking at the roads hoping you picked some bike worthy ones & having it tear apart in a few days. No more hours of researching online, asking locals where the best roads are. We have spent 3 years riding and extensively evaluating all of the paved roads in each state. We have developed and patented a 3 tier ranking system that gets you quickly on THE best roads in the state! Now you can use our maps alone to create the ultimate tour & day ride loops.

A few years back we saw a huge need for a high quality motorcycle oriented road map. Looking at a road atlas from the gas station will tell you how to get from point A to B but it won’t tell you which way is the coolest if you’re on two wheels. There are a few companies out there who have attempted to lead us toward good rides, but in our opinion they fall short in the sense that their maps only lead us back to where we started, or leave out some of the best stuff around. What if I you don’t want to loop? Where do you go after the highlighted route is finished? If it’s a trip of a lifetime, you do not want to miss the best roads!

As map geeks, we feel you can never own too many maps. Our state maps compliment any existing printed or GPS maps you already own. Our maps give you the big picture view that is essential for planning. For heavy GPS users, plan with our maps and then have your GPS guide you to those roads. Waypoints are provided in our detail sections.

Part of our passion for motorcycles is the freedom of creativity that is inherent in the riding itself. The problem is you have to ride A LOT of miles to figure out which roads are worth riding again and which ones do a better job of chapping your ass then stoking your soul. We have set out on a monumental project to ride those shitty roads so you don’t have too, unless you’re into that sort of thing -- not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Over the past several years, Court Butler & Justin Bradshaw and have ridden well over 70,000 miles in the mountain states, methodically documenting, via GPS waypoints, every mile so that we can pass the information on to you. What we have come up with, is Butler Maps.

The idea is pretty simple, ride the roads and grade them (down to the exact mile marker) on the riding experience you can expect from that given stretch of pavement. We have developed a rather stringent set of criteria to organize what we have found. A brief summary goes something like this:

G1
    These are THE best motorcycle rides! Always very dramatic and thrilling. Expect high mountain passes, deep canyons, sweepers, switchbacks and twisties. They are NOT to be missed!

G2
    Only a notch below G1, these are still great motorcycle rides. Expect dramatic scenery, lively roads, and lots of elevation change.

G3
    A bit less dramatic than G1 and G2 but still among the best motorcycle miles you will find. Expect wooded canyons, narrow winding roadways, and great scenery. Often G1 sections are bounded by G2 & G3 sections so you are guaranteed miles upon miles of riding pleasure.

I know, I know it’s all so subjective you say! Well, yes it is and we know there are times when we all prefer feet on the highway pegs & cruising along and for those moments we have a fourth delegation of road called the “Lost Highways.” They are few and far in between but they are a completely different motoring experience that we just could not ignore. This is where you can expect the solitude and emptiness of a long narrow road dissecting a desert landscape or prairie dog planet.

Still, we know one man’s trash is another man’s treasure right? Yes it is and we can’t be everything to everybody, but I can tell you we have tried really hard. Cruiser guys, dual sport freaks, dirt racers, hard-core tourers, adventure riders, road racers, and ‘round the worlders’ have all contributed to our quality control and we therefore feel confident that if we tell you its G1 (or a really, really kick ass ride) then there is a good chance you’ll agree with us. We are sticklers about it as there are only 23 G1s in Colorado. I think most of you will be surprised about where some of them are.

So about all those amazing dirt roads? They're on there too. We have featured & highlighted 80 or so easier dual-sport/ADV dirt routes per map (Ozark excepting) that are designed to tour extensively on dirt or mix it up with our rated G roads. No matter what your ride, we will have a map for you!

All our our maps now feature smartphone scan codes and offer Mobil Tour Guides, dealer lists, mileage guides, weather guides, POIs, commercial hot springs and much more.

We are working diligently to get this resource to you. As soon as new maps are printed they will be available at our website: Butler Maps , through various mountain states rallies and hopefully in as many shops and stores around the country as we can convince to carry them. If you would like your local shop to carry them, please have them, contact us.

I hope there will be lots of questions; comments, advice and naysayers. We welcome them all. Thanks for listening. Please, Please, Please keep the conversation going and don't hesitate to tell us what you are thinking. We value any and all opinions. This is an ongoing process for all of us. We will be chatting it up and hopefully spreading the excitement of what we’re confident will be an awesome resource for all of us.

Please check back often as I will posting updates on new map availability and which local shops carry them. I’ll have info on which rallies we will be attending and quickly answering any and all questions you have.

Thanks for looking
    Bill Eakins
    Butler Maps
    Made in the USA!

BM new logo small.png
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Essentials:

-Benchmark Maps- http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/
    We use Benchmark Maps as our basemaps. They are the best state maps.
    They offer full road detail that our single page maps cannot provide.
    I recommend you bring these along for each state you're traveling in.
    I have also included states we do not have maps for yet.

Arizona:
    California:
    Colorado:
    Idaho:
    Montana:
    Nevada:
    New Mexico:
    Oregon:
    Utah:
    Washington:
    Wyoming:
  3. ButlerMaps

ButlerMaps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody, we are very excited to have Bill on board to help with our online communications and presence at rallies and events. The feed back and input from customers and dealers so far has been exceptional and we are quickly out growing the three man operation that has gotten us to where we are now.

As Bill mentioned we are working as hard as we can to get the maps into the hands of riders and are adding dealers daily.

In conjunction to the list above we have added
    Hi Point motor sports in Glenwood Springs

Also keep an eye out in your favorite catalogs including Touratech and Aerostich.

Thanks for your interest and keep us informed of your experiences with our maps.
  4. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife ordered and we just received the CO and UT maps. They are excellent!!!!

In my opinion, a must have for any rider. Can not wait for the dual-sport versions.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks!
    we strive to get them in people's hands quickly after you order.

we've talked ALOT about the DS version.
    as you know there are soooo many more dirt routes in colo vrs. paved ones it's gonna take awhile for us to do it right. because of the detail needed, we'll break the state up into quandrants so the base maps can be zoomed in. i'll keep ya updated on how it's going. we'll also be asking for recomendations on your DS favs when the time comes as the volume of possibilities is unreal.

also in the works are nor cal, az and nm, but first we must work and get so cal, mt & wy maps out. id is done from the printer and will be at the rallies and online soon.

the reason i joined w/ Butler is so justin & court can get out those new maps as quick as possible (while still taking the time to do it right) while i handle other things. exciting times!
  6. speedbump

speedbump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stumbled upon Eakins/Butler Maps in the "Pro leisure tour" thread can't wait to check out your maps in the Glenwood bike shops. What a great idea, especially look forward to the dual sport version !
    Mark
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    my friend mark(greywolf11) does pro leisure very well. :lol3
    you joining them? i might try to camp in the flattop or just ride some.

we are very excited about the DS version.
  8. speedbump

Oddometer:
    It might be fun to meet them/you in Yampa and do the Flattop ride then come back on the Buford road depending on my schedule and the weather. I will keep an eye on the Pro Leisure thread.

If you have any questions about any ds roads in my area I am pretty up on backroads between here and Utah. Feel free to contact me I would be glad to share info.

Mark
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    bufford-new castle road? that's a good one.
    you have any info if gas is avail at the buford store? i've heard it's been spotty.
    i like also road that heads up & to the right at the back of rifle canyon and then meets up with the b-nc road. technical enough for the dr that it gets exciting.

thanks for the offer. i'd like to explore some of that area soon!
  10. speedbump

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about the status of the Buford Store, I heard recently that it was bought and turned into a private estate. I hope it's not true it would be a shame to see it follow the same fate as the Sleepy Cat. I saw that Grey Wolf was just that way maybe he knows. Let me know what you find out if it isn't in a thread.

Haven't done Rifle Falls to Triangle park in a long time, I ride a Transalp and last time I was on it (5 yrs ago) they built these big drainage berms out of cantaloupe sized rocks which was a little rough for that bike. I think you would be fine on a DR though. Buford road is fine during the week but pretty busy traffic wise (and dust) on the weekends.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    private estate? that sucks if true.
    that place is key for gas heading over the flat tops.
    i'll find out more info.

12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just added Cripple Creek/Vets & 4 corners rallies. :clap
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Idaho is now available on the website. :clap
    https://www.butlermaps.com/mapstore/

Wyoming, Montana & Rocky Mtn region in 2 weeks.

I'll be in Paonia, Colorado this weekend w/ co, ut & id.
    and you can also preorder those other 3 from me.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    FYI, for OR, WA & Nor Cal riders.
    we will be producing maps for your areas! :clap
    we haven't forgot you.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    was a great rally down in Paonia. meet some advers!
    will post some pics soon.
    thnx, bill
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    colorado motomarathon event added.
    it's in boulder, co in september.
    free colo maps to all who enter.
    check it out!
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I orderd a Utah map from Butler -- there was a small hiccup in teh delivery process (not on their watch, so far as I can tell), and they stepped up and made certain I got mine beffore I left on a long, greatly anticipated trip to, wait for it, Utah.

It's easy to appear graceful and poised when everything goes your way.

Much tougher to do so when things get wonky.

The map looks aces, is clearly printed on some material I could use to seal the wind outa my house, and the folks in the company willing to go the extra mile to help a rider out.

So waddya waiting for? Buy a feakin map already!

;-}
    eakins likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Steamboat Powersport, Steamboat Springs, CO http://www.steamboatpowersports.com/
    now stocks co & ut maps, so NW colo locals & travelers can get some maps locally. I'm working on having them also available in craig.