Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. danham

danham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bit of map-u-puncture and the easy to draw rule of thumb is great, but ...

Check this out for a big exception. The history of square grids on the prairie, written by the guru of blue highways himself, William Least Heat-Moon. An amazing book:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/a9r4uyq

-dan
  2. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completely agree, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah....Nevada to. I bet I can draw them in my sleep, but they are my favorites. Plus AH, that would probably make Florida a Super State to visit.....but it's just okay. Then again I've been here most of my life. LOL
  3. ewaugh

ewaugh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm thinking about selling my Supersport 800 and buying a Vstrom. I really don't know how you did it AH, you don't look short. My knees and hip are sore enough that walking hurts for a minute after about 3 hours on mine. I'm 6'2", and most bikes I sit on seem like they're made for someone with much shorter legs. But alas, I can't afford a multi and my knees won't let me take the Italian out AH style.So anyway, need to do some wandering...
  4. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know Colorado is lovely and other states that are squiggly are boring, but it's just a joke guys, not a dissertation.

See 4:25.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/n0v

5. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im amazed at how many motorcycle stores are promoting this thread considering the amount of photoshop in it:ricky
  6. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    ? I think it's one of the most comfortable positions ever. Maybe the limbic resonance triggers some sort of anti-inflammatory biological response? :)

There's a pretty significant difference between illusion/deception (photoshopping) and enhancement/correction. ;)
    Fred Oliff likes this.
  7. Casey.

Casey. Nerd on a bike

Oddometer:
    I don't feel worthy of the "Nerd on a Bike" subtitle after this and several other things throughout your RR. :rofl
  8. 02Deuce

02Deuce Where next?

Oddometer:
    Not to hijack the thread, but ewaugh, you should keep the 800 and buy a good used Vstrom. A tall buddy loves his. Btw, there is a really good article about "improving" the Vstrom in the February issue of Rider motorcycle motorcycle magazine. The accessories in this article are heated grips, special seat, nice exhaust, PIAA running lights, etc.
  9. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surprised you take us seriously! LOL
    I do have to say about the states, I think it is more of how long you have lived somewhere.
    I am from PR and visit regularly, live in florida and lots of people come down here and talk about how beautiful this paradise is, then complain about all the mountain roads they have to take to get to the closest gas station......when in fact, I would consider that paradise.
  10. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    I've enjoyed reading your thread. Perhaps I missed it...but I didn't see anything about you riding the Tail of the Dragon. Could this be true???
  11. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    That looks like an awesome ride. I've gotten as far as plotting out a ride from Edinburgh to Hong Kong via the Orient Express and the Silk Road, but I doubt I'll ever actually do it.
  12. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode it. The day Sandy brought a freezing rain storm through NC.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808437&page=55
  13. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Bad day for riding the Dragon. Under normal conditions it is nice to experience the ride from both directions.
  14. Stixx

Stixx Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer:

Is it just me and my left brain focus but does anyone else find it amusing that the tracks of your trip with " An Italian Supermodel" take final form in the shape of a big beautiful Italian red smiling lips...............jusayin
  15. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look into the used Multistrada market. The older ones are 2-valve, air cooled simplicity. The "S" model has Ohlins suspension and great brakes. I'd suggest the Tiger 1050, too. :wink:
  16. FJBruiser

FJBruiser n00b

Oddometer:
    Just finished up your thread AH, amazing reading and I am so glad I StubledUpon it randomly. Just a thought about future trips, have you ever considered starting an account on a fundraising site? I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I know I would donate some cash to keep reading your RR's...Just a thought...Again, love your story, and I am super bummed its over. :cry

Also was bummed you missed Zion National Park and the southern canyon land areas in Utah, thats some beautiful country.
  17. pilot3

pilot3 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The quality of the book is outstanding and the content.......Awesome, awesome, awesome!

My wife and son never read the thread but the book was on the counter for only a minute before both of them started going through it, remarking how spectacular the photos are.

Thank you again AntiHero.

p3
  18. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....is there an outstanding warrant out for you in Florida?
  19. kneedrag

kneedrag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn that camera of yours takes some nice crisp photos. Hard to believe it is just a pocket cam.
  20. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to hear. I still haven't held a copy in my hands! (Still on the road.)

I hadn't thought about a fundraising site, but I did contemplate a kickstarter project to support a European tour of duty. :) If anyone has any ideas or experience there, I'm all ears.

I'm bummed, too, FJ--I have nightmares that the trip is over--and then I wake up and realize it is.

Nice catch. Didn't see that.

Yeah, I'm still amazed at what it can do. The video it takes is incredible as well. I should get a mount and attach it to the bike for onboard video.