Travel in South America - Columbia, Brazil, Venezuala

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by gallahadion, Dec 17, 2006.

1. gallahadion

gallahadion New 2020 XT250 owner

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've been reading all sorts of post from people doing trips down to South America but no one ever goes thru Columbia, Brazil, or Venezuala, why is that? Ok, maybe Columbia I can understand but come on , Brazil? home of Carnivale! Whats up?
  2. RobZim

RobZim No, I'm not me.

Oddometer:

Use the search capability, you'll find a few who have dared to ride Colombia; The Striking Viking, Punky and Lew, and also Mariel (?). The Colombian gov won't let anyone leave the country by motor vehicle because of the kidnappings. I believe that decision came down after the Striking Viking suffered his ordeal. Many have done Brazil and there even a few posters who live in Brazil. As far as Venezuala, it's difficult to get anywhere from Venezuala. You can get to Brazil down a mud road, but it's supposed to be a very seasonal thing.
  3. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Colombia is a great place been there 5 times this year,been up to Cali on the bike had a great time,planning a full round trip next year:evil Great roads,Great climate and the ladies well lets keep that secret or the place will fill up with middle age gringos on bikes:wink:
  5. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    This is a load of old JACKSON POLLOCKS I,ve done it and about two dozen others have done it in the last month or so,I know cos they all dropped by to visit my pub in Ecuador,don,t be a big Jessie get on with it Viva Colombia Viva Alvaro Uribe the president who changed the country,making it safe for Nuggets like us,if you don,t belive me check out www.horizonsunlimited.com:eek1
  6. RobZim

RobZim No, I'm not me.

Oddometer:

What part is "Jackson Pollocks?" A quote would be nice.
  7. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you on that. Some photos of a recent business visit to Colombia are here:

http://www.joeberkphotography.com/colombia_2006.htm

[​IMG]
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Talk to more inmates on this topic in Regional Forums: Outer Darkness
  9. Flying Gringo 101

Flying Gringo 101 custodia flammae

Oddometer:
    Hey Mate:

I'm currently one day north of the Guatemalan border and headed your way...please PM me a link or name to your pub.....

Thanks,

Neal
  10. Joe D

Joe D Registered User

Oddometer:
    I rode to Panama then flew to Bogota from there rode through Venezuela, then down to Manaus Brasil, the road was great all the way to Manus. but BR316 from Belem south was gone in several places, one place was gone for 120 miles.just dirt and pot holes. Maybe these were too big to be called a pot hole, but I don't know the name for what the next size hole is called.
    I never had any bad, or near bad experience in any of the countries I went thru. It took seven hours to clear the motorcycle into Venezuela, but that was more because the lady at the boarder was new and didn't know what to do. go here for my write up I still haven't finished it. but the first part is done. www.joeestuvoaqui.blogspot.com Hope this helps. Joe
  11. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    it,s called THE TURTLES HEAD and the address is La Niña 626 y Amazonas,one block south of the hotel Marriot in north Quito.Also check out the Beer in Ecuador thread on www.horizonsunlimited.com feel free to Drop in for a pint of my best of British ingredients microbrewed beer:clap
  12. theturtleshead

Oddometer:
    Ok to be more specific,the stuff about Colombia is Jackson Pollocks,the situation has changed completely due to the hard work of the president,army and police in vastly improving security for the entire country,just before the elections the president had a 60% popularity rating,some thing virtually unheard of anywhere,so get down there and find out for yourself!!!
  13. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    No body?..... We are heading back down to our bike in Buenos Aires on Feb 5th, and plan on spending 6 months going up the coast of Brazil, then on to Ven. and Col..

Spent the last year in Ecuado, Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uraguay.
  14. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uraguay??? Is that a new country???? hahaha just kidding...

Have a safe trip and say hello to the porteñas for me...
  15. gallahadion

gallahadion New 2020 XT250 owner

Oddometer:
    Would you mind adopting me? I don't eat much and I'm light on the throttle !:D
  16. Super Skymaster

Super Skymaster Uber commander

Oddometer:
    We are travelling from Caracas to Manaus on January 2nd, 2007. Would like your advice on the Brazilian part of the trip: Fuel availability, paperwork, etc. Thanks in advance..
  17. Super Skymaster

Super Skymaster Uber commander

Oddometer:
    Contact me when in Venezuela.....:D