Pampers in "Long Way Round"???

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by John Smallberries, Jul 9, 2011.

1. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    My daughter and I watched "Long Way Round" for the umpteenth time this week. In one of their first camping scenes, she noticed a package of Pampers in the foreground, near their stove.

Pampers are baby diapers in the US. Do they have another use? Are they some other product in the UK?

A 14-year-old future inmate needs to know!
  2. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    in case they sh-t their pants on some of the terrain?[
    seriously though i never noticed,now i'll have to go watch it again
  3. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Baby wipes? Great to throw in your bag to freshen up after a tough day riding when there aren't modern facilities!
  4. TorontoBrit

TorontoBrit TorontoBrit

Oddometer:
    Not sure if they are Pampers brand or not, but the small plastic box of pre-moistened baby wipes are great to clean bugs off your visor. Keep them handy in your tank bag, and make sure to get the unscented, unmoisturizing ones. Those and a clean microfiber cloth at gas fill ups were a great traveling tip I picked up somewhere.....
  5. bigpercentcountry

bigpercentcountry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read the book not too long ago and it seems like I remember something about pampers, but then again maybe not. I think baby wipes would be a good guess though, I always take them on deployments.
  6. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    a baby diaper will soak up about a half gallon of whatever fluid your bike happens to be puking out, some places have laws against dumping toxic fluids on the ground
  7. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not hard to speculate what they were packing for a trip like that, as Pampers products run a wide range or cleaning and absorbent products. When you are "dry camping" the wet wipes can keep your cooking gear from soiling your kit.

You Folks might be surprised to find out how many Baja Racers pack or wear Depends style products on long races. Even with a "road tube" the ability to wick away excess moisture can be welcome relief (you stop to squat, but you still want extra protection because Imodium does not always work like it should).

I keep one of the little handy packs of the cleaning wipes in the tool roll, because cleaning up after a mechanical trail repair is way better than throwing away a pair of gloves that are ruined from grease soaked through from inside out. Those wipes clean better than most mechanics hand cleaners.

Most (quality) first aid kits now include some sort of pad similar to kotex napkins, because they soak up and allow blood to clot better than gauze or cotton. Buying the jumbo economy size box of maxi pads to stock medical kits is an inexpensive alternative to the nearly identical medical supply product.

Modern technology has multiple uses (Pampers, a line of dual-sport cleaning products).
  8. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don´t know, but everyone always asks me if I have seen it. One night in a lima hotel, I saw the very end. It may have been long way down. All I remember is that they were dropping their bikes in a little sand and whining like little babies. I couldn´t believe it. So perhaps, they are for Ewan & the other little babes.
  9. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I didn't clock it and haven't recently seen it, but I would guess it would be Pampers brand wet wipes.

Aside from the obvious "camping shower" they're also also great for:

Wiping mud off the groundsheet of the tent,
    Cleaning bike parts,
    Cleaning small cuts (can sting a bit, mind),
    A low pack volume alternative to carrying toilet roll,
    Removing makeup after "friends" pin you down and put makeup on you, rub cake or squirty cream in your face, or any of the other shennanigans that goes on at rallies of an evening, after a few beers.

In short, essential Adv Riding equipment.

340hp; I didn't know about the Baja racers, although I had wondered about that. When doing long distance riding with a hydro pack on, I've often joked I now just needed a catheter, going down a trouser leg and terminating where the overflow pipes on the bike do so I can save 30 seconds of peeing every few hours. Doesn't bear thinking about if the line got snagged on a tree root/rock and pulled out at high speeds though. The nurse who told me, "don't worry, taking the catheter out won't hurt at all" = lying bitch. :eek1
  10. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Probably the hand cleaner wipes which work well for other parts of your body besides "bums". I do use a cheaper brand of generic diapers that are great to put under the Weestrom oil filter when you change oil. The things are very absorbant .
  11. 340hp

340hp Long timer

Oddometer:
    A dry condom, some tubing, and surgical tape is your answer. The result may not be as absolutely drip proof as the medical alternative, but the consequence of a snag is less troublesome. They do need to offer tape that's not quite duct sealing usage strength (better than ripping off a scab, but it's a tender area). The price people pay to win.