My ADVersys

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by kajj, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hehe. Thanks for checking out my build.

Will posts some updates in a couple of days when I hopefully have the new rear shock back from the workshop.

I will use one of the two round lights seen above mounted on the bike. Because one of them have both high beam, low beam and parking light and are approved for street use.
    But i will need one more light to use together with the high beam.

I am thinking of a LED-light, but haven`t decided which one yet. Or how and where to mount it.
    Maybe you have some ideas?

The diameter of the light is 10.8cm. So a hole with 11.3-11.5cm should be enough for allow some adjustment of the light.
    Maybe you could check if there is room left on the fairing for one of your LED-lights?
    I now I said I would skip them for now. But if there is room to mount one on the fairing then why wait.

I saw that you have to different lights on your website. One was more expensive then the other. Whats the difference between them? Will the shipping cost increase if I add one light?

It is ok to post pictures of the fairing whit the mock up for the light (lights?) in this thread if you want to.
  2. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I should post some pics from some adventures with the ADVerys.

For about a month ago I did find a muddy gravel road, and also a small forest road covered with hard packed snow.

I am not that experienced in riding such a heavy bike in these conditions. And I must say, when I got to the mud (and the snow) I could really feel the weight of the bike.

Riding on the snow covered forest road was really interesting and very fun:clap

You really need to keep your speed up and let the bike go where it wants.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, I tried the forest road again. :D

Thought that if I had a little more speed I should be able to get further before I get stuck again.

But more speed also meant more wheel spin and the rear wheel was all over the place until she got sleepy and decided to take a napp.

[​IMG]

No harm done this time (The OEM handlebars was allready bent from a previus little chrash). The Zeta handguards did their job and absorbed the impact.

A friend of mine finally bought a bike after some time searching for one.
    And the day after the purchase it was time to try here out.
    So we left quite early that morning in search for some fun gravelroads.
    It was so fun to ride that day. So there where not mouch time to take pictures. But I`ll manage to get a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally got the Rox risers this friday so that I could mount the new handlebars (Renthal fatbar). Wow what a difference. The standing position improved dramatically.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pictures from this saturday when we actually did some real offroad.
    I must say, the new tires works really well. There was a lot of mud and I even got some scratches on the gravel guard when riding through some narrow puddles.

First obstacle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The conditions soon got worse, or better depending on how you look at it:evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we decided to turn around
    [​IMG]

I did notice the need for a gravel guard for the radiator as a rock had deformed a few cooling fins.
    So I fabricated one from a cheep trashcan and some plastic "something" (a plastic grid that you put under the tires of the car when you get stuck in the winter).
    [​IMG]

It turned out pretty good.

Will post some more updates as soon I get the R1 shock mounted.
  3. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Anton - You guys are adventurous, same out here - cant wait for the snow to clear out already!!!

Since I have your permission I will post this up here to cover your questions on your project;

Here is the mock-up adding one LED Spot light. Since your main light is round it would look out of place to add a square light and there is not enough room anyway. I sent you details on this light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Common practice is to add two Rigid Dually lights and attach to your fork clamps on the bottom using a simple flat piece of aluminium. The different prices are for (1) and the other is for (2) lights. If you go with (2) Rigid (SPOT RIG20221 or FLOOD RIG20211) it is $189.99. These are shock proof, waterproof etc. and have themal protection and limited lifetime warranty with Rigid. The kit comes with everything you need, wiring harness, inline fuse, heavy duty mounting brackets and waterproof

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    What rear tire is that?
  5. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I`ll go with the round LED spot light then. And the mock up in the first picture looks good.:clap
    If you could cut out holes for both lights that would be awsome.
    Is the blue cirkel 11.5cm diameter? If it is then go for it.

I have sent you an email about the LED spot light.
  6. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those on the versys is the heidenau k60 scout.
  7. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Kajj - Holes came out way nice. I will include the disks that came out of the holes so you can test paint on it ok.

She will be shipped out at the latest by Friday - over the big blue to Sweden :clap

I will send you details.

Later Bern

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Wow, that looks awesome. :clap:wings

Can`t wait to mount it on the ADVersys.
  9. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted!
  10. rlbowers03

rlbowers03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm setting aside money waiting to see what it looks like mounted on a Versys :evil
  11. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  12. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ADVersys rally edition :evil

I received the fairing from aiMhi and I must say he has done a nice job with the fairing. Also the holes for the headlight and the LED turned out great. :clap

Fabricated four aluminium brackets to support the fairing. I might change these later for some made of steel.

I haven`t had the time to try out he fairing on the road (will do that tonight) but it seems rock solid.

I think the look turned out pretty good. It will blend in better when it gets painted. Will either paint it blue as the bike or black and at the same time paint the cowlings at the radiator and foot pegs black.

I am thinking about cutting the bottom of the fairing a little so that it gets to the same height as the side cowlings, what do you guys think?

And maybe cut of 1" from the top. But i will see how it work out first.

Anyway here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Wow you don't waste any time!
    On the fairing I vote for the blue or the silver. V cut on the bottom to "mate" to the cowlings like you said and upside down V on fairing top trimmed an inch 1/2 down. Tag inside with matte black :)

Great job :)
  14. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. V cut, hmm interesting idea.

Tried it out yesterday on the highway and on some sand cowered single tracks and I must say it works great.
    I could not feel any buffering. Not even at 100km/h.

I will levee the shape of the fairing as it is right now. And maybe trim it down later.
  15. douglasgraham

douglasgraham This is my car

Oddometer:
    I love it when you read where some guys goes off about how the Versys is a suck ass dirt bike and anybody using it in this manner is crazy and then somebody like you does this in his bedroom and takes it trail riding:evil Nice job on the bike and glad to see your using the entire package that the bike offers vs. thinking its only a street bike.
  16. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok time for an update again. I have had a lot to to lately and have not had any time to update.

The ADVersys has been out on some real offroad trips:evil I think the pictures speak for them self.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We did find this steep hill covered in deep sand. It was a lot stepper then the image shows.
    [​IMG]

This is me giving it a try.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well I almost made it. The front wheel dug in just a few meters from the less steeper part of the hill.
    But it was a lot of fun:clap

Finally got the R1 shock mounted. just need to find a roadstar spring.
    [​IMG]

As I did the swap by my self. I had to improvise:deal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did cut the side cowling for the reservoir later but I don`t have any pictures of that at the moment.

And last, some pictures from a two days trip last weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The ride home weren't that comfortable. 330km with rain and +2 degrees Celcius. But it was woth it:freaky

I have also changed the rear mudflap and installed heated grips.
    I have a vacation coming up in two weeks. will be gone for three to four weeks. Dont`t now where I am going really. Thinking about Norway or maybe Finland. Time will tell.

Thats it for now.
  17. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Does the R1 shock have the same 5.7" of travel as the stock shock?
  18. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

The standard Versys rear shock has 145mm of travel and a stroke of 50mm.
    While the R1 shock has 166mm of travel and a stroke length of 57.5mm.
    The R1 shock is also a few millimeters longer then the standard Versys shock.

It works great so far. It gives a much smother ride compared to the standard versys shock.

It is a bit soft with the current spring but I am searching for a spring from a Yamaha roadstar which should fit.
  19. aiMhi

aiMhi Roostafarian

Oddometer:
    Your ADVersys is coming along nicely.

Enjoy your ride and paint that fairing - I know - I know - stuff keeps us busy and away from out toys :lol3
  20. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I am leaving next week for a vacation on the bike for four weeks. So I won`t have the time to paint it before that.

I am thinking about painting the whole bike white anyway:evil

Or maybe just the side cowlings. Time will tell.