Sp600 Stories

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tdrrally, May 26, 2010.

1. stussels

stussels chupacabra!

Oddometer:
    hey welcome aboard. your sp seems to be coming along too. did you get that tank off of ebay? if so, i think my skidplate came from the same bike!
  2. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and yes I did, just recently. It probably was the same bike, the seller had a lot of parts. That's too funny!!
  3. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    Hopefully someone has an answer for me!

:nortonI tried to read most of this so I'll apologize if this has already been answered..

Is the automatic decompression reccomended? When I bought the bike it was disconnected and I've been able to start it, serious piston to be moving, we all know that; but should I buy the linkage and hook it back up or say forget it and rock the lever only? http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/Norton.gif

Thanks gang
  4. stussels

stussels chupacabra!

Oddometer:
    should be fine as it is. mines not hooked up either. i just use the lever.
  5. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stussels! I'm going to leave it alone then.

I'm thinking about putting a 1993 DR 350 front caliper on rather than rebuilding the stock caliper. I found a decent one on eBay but I'm having trouble finding both disc diameters to see if it'll match up.

I like the newer DR caliper more because it's the two piston set-up rather than the SP's single piston caliper.

Any help much appreciated!
    Ride on rats!
  6. stussels

stussels chupacabra!

Oddometer:
    ive been considering something similar. just havent got around to figuring out which, if any, rotor will bolt up to the stock hub. friend of mine has an older dr350 that i would take measurements from if he lived closer. i think the rmz rotor may have potential too. let me know if ya find out anything on that and ill do the same.
  7. stussels

stussels chupacabra!

Oddometer:
  8. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    Wow!! The one on eaby is a gem! A gentle gem! Hopefully mine looks like that soon..

I'm still not sure what to do about my front brake. (the piston is totally seized) I found a local shop with a nice DR 350 front wheel with a nice tire and disc mounted. I'm thinking mix the two and get a the caliper to match... A new steel braided hose and I'm back in the game.
  9. stussels

stussels chupacabra!

Oddometer:
    if you do that youll lose the super classy gold rim. see if the rotor will bolt up first. might not need the rest of the wheel. and then id know what rotor to get:D
  10. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem as you Rider Rat when I bought my sp 600. The front caliper piston was seized. I took it apart and tried sanding down the piston to no avail so I ended up buying a Gsp piston and both seals. But as everyone knows, this caliper leaves something to be desired when it comes to hard braking.
  11. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    Yo riders! I'm trying to get some SP excitement in everyone for SPring!! :rofl

I purchased a 1990 Dr650 front caliper and rotor along with a new steel-braided cable and newer master-cylinder to complete the front brake swap. hoping they will pretty much bolt on with little tinkering, but we'll see, they're not here yet. If they do bolt on then my front brake issues will be no more and it should increase my stopping power a little..

I also purchased a new kick starter because my would swing out from the bike while making a sharp right turn hahaha and just overall seemed like it needed replaced.

I'll post some pictures when the parts arrive in the mail! Ride on fellow riders!
  12. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely keep us updated on this.

On a side note: There's an entire sp600 being parted out on eBay right now. sp600 Parts
  13. deputygene

deputygene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to thread hi-jack, but can any of you with an SP or pre 96 DR tell me if these wheels are for your bike. I got this extra set of aluminum front and rear wheels with my 05 DR, but they do not fit the DR.
    [​IMG]
    the rear disk is larger
    [​IMG]
    Guy said they were an extra set of DR wheels. Didn't even notice till I had mounted a tire and tried to put on the bike:doh
  14. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    I'm still pretty new at this but in my findings an older bike would not have a larger disk...

Everything I've tried to match up for the front of my SP is usually bigger if newer and smaller if older, or a different size bike.

Just a shot in the dark but maybe it was on a big DR like a 750 or 800
  15. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    So, the early 90's Dr650 front caliper does not bolt on like I was dreaming for but it is really close! My plan is to get a small bracket machined to incorporate the existing holes on the forks and make up for the small gap since the disc are totally different sizes. I'll get some pics up this weekend with the larger disc on the wheel and when i start messing the the "upgraded brake kit"

ride on fellow riders!

PS. Saw the charters of "Tig" and "Bobby" from Son's of Anarchy at a motorcycle expo in Philly today haha! thought I'd share
  16. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

Unfortunately one of my fork seals is leaking oil. Since one is leaking I'm just going to buy a pair of new seals and do both forks while I'm at it. I got as far as draining the old oil out and removing the spring, spring spacer, washer, and cap nut. However, I can't figure out how to remove the deeper internals like the damper rod. I've tried sharpening an old broomstick and jamming it in to lock up the damper rod and prevent spinning but it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

http://www.alpha-sports.com/tools/suzuki_tools.htm If I buy the fork tool from here (about half way down 09940-34520), does anybody know which attachment I need? :ear
    Thanks!
  17. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    - SP600,
    Sorry I don't have any advice for you... The repair manual doesn't offer too much help either.

My question for the group is... Anyone else experience extreme difficult taking the front wheel off?

I was able to take the cotter pin out and the nut on the right side off but the left side ( disc side ) will not budge, at all. I'm afraid to chew up the head of the bolt too much. Any ideas??? I'm got about one can of PB Blaster sprayed on it so far

Thanks much
  18. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take out the axle? and you should be good. If you have the cotter pin out and the crown nut off, which should have been on the left side of the bike (rotor side), then all you have to do is take out the axle because the "nut" on the other end is welded to the axle. Should take about 5 mins. to get the front wheel off.

Edit: If the axle seems stuck just hit the end with a rubber mallet.
  19. RiderRat

RiderRat thumpin!

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I have taken many front wheels off dirt bikes (I'm not a total noob lol) but this one won't budge! My father and I were trying for a while. Is the axle threaded on the opposite side of the crown nut, it wont turn out or budge even with some mallet love. It seems totally stuck, I was even riding it around with the crown nut off trying to get the vibrations to loosen it.. ( I know, stupid)

Could my axle be seized? Completely??
  20. sp600

sp600 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the crown nut side, the axle is completely smooth. Sorry I'm not too helpful. You could try heating it with a blow torch... It must really be stuck.:huh