KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Carl_Mega

Carl_Mega Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet pick up! Looks pristine. As an owner of a 99', I think they are the best looking of the Adv models. Enjoy that steed.

2. Falcon Rust

Falcon Rust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI just looking at second hand, and from which year do you suggest buying second hand?

cheers,
    FR
  3. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    '03 on up-they have the high flow heads which I hear are good for roughly 5 horses and have sturdier crank bearings.

Dirty
  4. Falcon Rust

Falcon Rust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just saw an '04 and has a staintune, steering stabilizer and few other bits. $7,600 Australian too much?

5. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems pretty high. 1.03 USD to 1 AUD right now. I paid $4500 USD for a 2000 model with steering stabilizer, new tires, recent service, and only 3500 miles on it. That was about a month ago and I paid a premium for how clean this bike is. There is another one for sale right now for $2300 that has more miles, but is still a great runner. For how much that guy wants I could buy a brand new 2013 Husky 650 Terra.

[​IMG]
    endurists likes this.
  6. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I've had a search on the thread index and can't find anything that addresses the pro's and cons of my situation. I use my 625 SXC about 90% road use and 10% off-road. I have a cush drive hub and road tyres at the moment.

I would like to be able to easily decide to go on a weekend ride every few weeks, so my initial thought was buy a second set of wheels (without cush drive), put dirt tyres on them and just swap them over when I want to go off-road. Then I thought, what if I just get better at changing tyres and do the swap every few weeks and stick with the same set of wheels.

My question is; will having a difference set of rotors and different sprocket pose any issues with wear rates on the pads or braking performance or wear and tear on any other part of the drive-train?

NB. both sets to be 18" and 21" so calibration won't be an issue on the speedo
  7. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I have two sets of wheels and think it is worth doing despite any accelerated wear.

Right now I can slot in my EXC wheels which have a 1.6" front, non-cush-drive, bigger sprocket and rim locks. All worth having in the dirt.

In the past I had DR-Z250 and I used to change tyres on that, as I commuted on it during the week. It would take me about an hour to change 2 tyres and remove all the road gear. I'm reasonably proficient at changing tyres now! :lol3 although I still get lots of practice. It was quite a relief to get the second set of wheels with a bigger sprocket and rim locks, made the swap time 30 mins, much less effort and less stress on the tyre beads.
  8. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    I have 2 sets for my 950, would like to have 2 sets for my 640. In fact I swapped them today for a 500 mile ride, back to knobs tomorrow.

Either way, you have to remove the wheels, pop it up on the center stand and go at it, it's nice to leave the tire irons in the tailbag!

Find the right combo and all you have to do is rotate the adjuster blocks for the right combo that doesn't require an adjustment
  9. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished the Nav Tower I was building for my 640A ...

I attach some pics here but the posts and the history behind it can be found here ...

The start ... :huh
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19351949&postcount=707

And the first prototype :freaky
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19814387&postcount=1009

Never mind the fairing ... it is not bolted :D as it will be modified to match a more vertical/rallye version ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four mini toggles with four led lights ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another config above and just the speedo below...

[​IMG]

-o0-
    endurists likes this.
  10. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    wow, that's some project, i'm impressed. are those the Chris Barnes (sp?) kevlar covers or did you get them someplace else?
  11. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Yes, the protectors are indeed from Chris... This is my second set, Carbon-Kevlar mixed... The first set which served me well :evil was pure Kevlar and behaved much better I think ... I have seen somewhere here that Chris does not do them any more or the delivery times are very long which is a shame :cry because the product quality is really good and it really protects the odd petcock ... I will keep this set and if worst comes to worst I will give it to a friend who makes composites to copy it ... :wink:

-o0-
  12. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Here are the pics from back in 2oo9 when they were new ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-o0-
  13. supercoyote

supercoyote Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For anyone interested, he said he might be starting up again at the start of the new year.So just don't drive like a maniac until then :lol3
  14. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Twice I have fallen and hit something that turned my gas off but didn't break it, some day I won't be so fortunate.
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    shit that rally mod looks great! As for the tank guards mine are holding up well despite my best efforts to break them:D
    you can just see some scuffage in this pic, both sides have plenty
    [​IMG]
  16. NE14YAH

NE14YAH n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! First off, I am a new member to AR and new to the LC4. I recently purchased a 98 RXCe 400 with 9500 miles in very good condition . . . runs like a champ and am quite impressed with it's performance! About a month later I bought an identical one with 5500 miles that had obviously been ridden hard and not maintained properly. I paid $400 for it as a parts bike, but I am curiously thinking about rebuilding it into a 620 or 640? Does anyone know if this is possible by just replacing the cylinder and piston only? I would love to hear advice on this, one way or another. Thanks in advance!
  17. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, just got my 640 last week with 5500 miles on her. PO put on Akrapovic pipe and a rear Touratech rack. I have added the compulsory headlight guards and the Nuvi Touratech GPS mount. Other than that seems stock. Couple of questions....

The vibration ..... I came "up" from an 08 KLR 650 and am amazed at how buzzy this thing is. I think my hands will give up far before I run out of gas. Any advice on reducing any of this?

Been researching skid/bash plates with the intention of buying one with tool carrying capabilities, only to find the aftermarket segment for this bike seems to have shifted to the 690 Enduro. In searching here, is seems that KTMatt out of Aus makes them and I have sent him an email (without reply yet, but its only been a few days). Any other options?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
  18. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Vibes?

We don't call them Vibes.

We call it Nervous Energy.

Seriously, you do get used to them and they tend to bother you as you drone down the hardtop. Offroad, you'll never notice them.

Changing the gearing makes a difference. On my '03, and the '07 you have to find the smooth in the rev range usually around 5k rpm and gear for 70 to 75 on the interstate. I toggled back and forth between a 15/42 and 17/42. I'll drop it down to 15/42 if I know I'll be on some more technical riding but real buzzy on the interstate. Stock is 16/42 FWIW.

Alternating two teeth in the front allows you to flip the rear axle block without having to fiddle with the chain tensioners at all.

Dirty
  19. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well thanks. My typical riding is 300 or so miles of slab to get to 300 of dirt. I can give up a little on the dirt for an easier tarmac ride.:1drink
  20. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    What he said!