Supercharged Boxer Anyone?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by BeeCeeGS, Dec 20, 2005.

1. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    This looks interesting. Wouldn't want that blower to scatter its parts, though.

[​IMG]
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    That was built by Chris' folks at San Jose BMW. It was at the San Jose Motorcycle show. it is truly stunning looking. It has not been run yet. He just finished up the final intake work and had the body work completed.
  3. cyclecat

cyclecat half post a day wonder

Oddometer:
    Looks like they are using the same compressor as on the Kohler spercharged Guzzis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't spin at anything near turbo-like speed, so I wouldn't worry too much about it blowing off your private parts. :vardy
  4. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:
    Did you ask if he had any plans to be in the same room when he fires it up?
  5. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    The supercharger initially will run a mild boost, appx 8 lbs at full throttle, at lower throttle settings the manifold pressure would be normal as the throttle body is upstream of the supercharger thus restricting the air available to the engine. The bike will be completely normal in all but the highest throttle settings. Chris and San Jose BMW has been building intresting BMW's since the mid 70's as evidenced by the AMA Superbike wins in the 70's thru the current win at the last Boxer Cup win at Daytona, comming in 2nd over all in the last Boxer Cup series, winning every time entered at the Airhead Invational at Talladega, set two records again this year at Bonneville, 162 on a 1978 R100RS the other on the K1200R Power Cup bike and literally dozens upon dozens of wins in between. With out a doubt, among less than a handfull of people on the planet with anywhere near the Beemer experience.

In short, don't count on the Blower Bike fraging.

The San Jose BMW Booth at the show was one of the most crowded.
  6. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or for the price of the blower you could buy a nice used Japanese 600 that will out perform the oil head all day long! But it's a nice design and eng. exercise none the less.
  7. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    It's nice to have someone working on the bikes we ride, there's plenty of aftermarket out there for the sportbike crowd. Kudos to the ingenuity of the boys and girls down @ San Jose. I'd like to see their critics do better. It's certainly more appealing than a 600 c.c. bike with a loud exhaust... you don't see those every day, do you?:lol3 And as always it's the rider not the bike...
  8. dtsv650r

dtsv650r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never said it wasn't nice, [​IMG]in fact its quite nice and if you had taken the time to read my post all the way through you would have noticed that I complimented SJ & Chris and also I wouldn't mind having one, but having said that, one of those unappealing Japanese 600cc w/loud exhaust will out perform said boxer w/blower for the same money as the blower alone, hell the Motronic alone costs more than a used 600.

P.S. I miss seeing Chris and his very cool bikes race each year at the AHRMA event in Steamboat.
  9. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Wow, that looks really sano. Would love to go over it closely in the flesh. :nod
  10. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they will be developing this further for other GS models:ear . I especially like the other aspects of the bike that haven't been mentioned. A real enthusiasts endeavour, expense and purpose be damned. Again, a job well done. :clap
  11. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Right-o!
  12. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Hey BCC, Happy NY.

How's the beast? Still loving it?
  13. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I spent a lot of time talk'n to Chris about it at the show. His love for that kinda stuff really shows; he will talk to anybody forever about his shop's projects.

He is in a very difficult south bay area BMW market place with two big boys with in spit'n distance of him, Santa Cruz BMW and Call BMW. I think he keeps his market share by be'n the only high performance BMW shop around. I think it gives his shop, San Jose BMW, a lot of industry respect.
  14. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Rad, you are right on. Intrestingly enough, San Jose BMW is one of the highest volumn dealers in the greater San Francisco Bay area....if not the highest. Chris has been building world beater project Beemers since the 70's and he definitely gets a lot respect from his peers. As an example, Power Commander does all of their Beemer research with him at his facility, as do others.
  15. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Hey SQD8R,

No regrets so far, but then again, I'm easy to please. The KS is crazy fast & comfy at the same time. If yer every down this way, come visit & while yer here, take it for a ride.
  16. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    I plan on doing a big tour this summer, coast to coast, but even if I don't I'll always head down to North and South Carolina. Deal's Gap may get the spotlight but the areas all around those states are too enticing to pass up. So I'll take you up on that and I'll repay the favour by getting you back on old faithful, the 12GS, although somehow I don't think you'll be the one in lust @ the end of that ride. :lol3
  17. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    There's room in the house, space on the BBQ & a parking spot in the garage. Anytime.
  18. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Great looking machine. Id love to see the finished product & dyno numbers for it.

Use to have a 88 Toyota MR2 that had a OEM blower. Made good HP
    for a 1.6 liter car with a larger pulley and better intake/exhaust.
    Throttle response with an SC is great, very fun to drive.
  19. Cadaver

Cadaver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah! that is really cool. Anybody that does perf. boxer stuff gets a dbl thumbs up from me. I would like to see a turbo set-up like the old luftmeister stuff. Also cool to se the the telelever front end switch, road style. Got any more pics?