KTM 990 SMT vs Ducati Multistrada 1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wynHand, Jul 3, 2011.

1. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    How does the SMT compare to the SM? I'm guessing pretty much the same? I had a 2006 950 SM, lost to a Toyota. I really like the bikes, and the comparo to the Multi. But really SM and SMT, very similar to ride? Thanks!
  2. wantok

wantok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden both & loved them but what concerns me about the MTS (& other very high tech bikes) is how robust are those flash electronics going to b a few years down the track - you can have just as much fun on a bike with decent non-electronic controlled suspension and a torquey engine without several different selectable maps. A decent set of mufflers and a dyno tune with a PC5 make a big difference to the SMT & those standard stainless mufflers weigh a ton & get horrendously hot. Just my 2c

Nick (wantok)
  3. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that this thread was started a while ago, but I am looking for a new bike and seriously considering a 2012 SMT. The problem is that I want to take my wife with me on a lot of rides. We looked at, and sat on a whole bunch of bikes this weekend. For comfort, she liked a left over 2010 FJ1300, a 2012 V-Strom 1000, and the SMT. The SMT sounds like, and looks like just *so* much fun. I have an extensive dirt bike background, so the seat heights do not bother me at all even though I only have a 30" inseam. I am a bit worried that the SMT does not offer the long range of the V-Strom, but the bug 'Strom just looked *HUGE* compared to the SMT, and I am worried that it would just be too big for me to wheel out of the garage for my 3 mile work commute. On the other hand, the big 'Strom looked to be more comfortable for her.
    Has anybody here had some passenger experience with the SMT? Does it work well? Whatever I end up with will have to have a sturdy top case added, so she has something to lean back on. The KTM's soft bags look OK, but the soft top case they offer will not do the job as it is too low, and soft.
    I love that the KTM SMT is raw, and simple. I like small, light bikes, and the big 'Strom is neither, but it does have ample performance, long range, and comfort in spades. If the SMT can be easily modified to be comfortable for my passenger, it seems like the bike for me.
    We want a bike that I can ride every day, for my short commute, and rides around town, and for weekend trips, 2-up, of maybe 200 miles or so. We are in our 50's, so no sport bikes for us... Of all the bikes we looked at, and sat on (including the MTS), the decision looks like it is coming down to these two.
    Can anybody convince me one way or the other?
  4. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of HIS Majesty's Tax Collectors
    I cant vouch for the SMT but the MTS 1200 is great for two up and will be the most fun you and your wife have had with your clothes on :D

I have the 2010 touring model with topbox and my fiancee loves it. Great power when needed and a real grin factor to ride either solo or two up. Most owners cant find another bike they would rather have.

I get the concerns with the electronics but mot of these bikes are now going this way. If we all thought like that we would be in model T Fords. Its progress.

The Ducati luggage gives plenty of storage with the topbox holding two full face helmets and has a back cushion for the pillion.

I googled "SMT luggage" and there are options available but they all look out of place IMHO.

Dependent on budget how about waiting for the new KTM 1190?
  5. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I haven't had a passenger on my SMT, so I can't speak to that. But I do have a huge Givi Trekker 52 top case that you can get a passenger back rest for. It holds two full face helmets. It's a little big, but works for me as a daily commuter. It pops off in 2 seconds for around the town riding.

If you want a comfortable "super bike", I think the SMT is hard to beat as far as handling and brakes go. The 115hp leaves some on the table compared to the MTS, but I don't need the extra power.

[​IMG]
  6. Joel ph

Joel ph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Can anybody convince me one way or the other? "

I have LOVED every second I've ridden my SMT. It is an absolutely perfect road bike.

However, I don't think it's much good for 2 up riding. I'll take my wife for an occasional squirt or a short trip to breakfast but I wouldn't consider going much beyond a tank or 2 of gas, and in those cases I'm staying off the highway so she doesn't get bored and start to realize that her ass hurts.

On the positive side the seat/footpeg relationship is good for my wife (5' 9" or so)

If your interest/concern is for 2 up I think there are better bikes.
  7. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the pillion seat question has any one cum up with a solution for pillion comfort I sold my SMT and went back to a BMW R1200R and I think the BMW seat (for Pillion ) is probably worse
  8. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on the Hyperstrada vs 990SMT:freaky Can't seem to fing much out there yet.
  9. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
  10. zimm

zimm 2024 T700

Oddometer:
    I saw the hyper at the D.C. motorcycle show. Looks pretty cool. Much narrower fairing than the SMT. The SMT's 5 gallon tank spreads out quite a bit- which offers wind protection for your legs as an added bonus. Specs are VERY similar- including price. I'd rather have the little hard bags of the duc than the zippered things on the SMT.
  11. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    How about the ergos on the SMT? I'm 6'2" and have knee issues and a 34" inseam. Finding a comfortable performance machine is always a bit of a challenge. How comfortable is the KTM for a taller rider?
  12. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    Check out cycle-ergo.com to compare the SMT to what you're riding now and other bikes.
  13. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I have done that and love that site. Anyone else notice the leg degrees differ from the site to what motorcyclist magazine posted just this month? Who to believe?
  14. Mugatu

Mugatu Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer:
    6"2, and the SMT is quite good for knee angle with the SMR seat.
    Still have the option to mount lower foot pegs if needed.
    More roomy for legs that the 1190 adventure I had for a day while the bike was having its service done.
    Benduro likes this.
  15. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    There's a test in Bike - July 2013 issue - Hyperstrada vs. SM-T vs. Tiger Sport. They like the Duc's engine, HATE the ergos. They said of the
    SM-T:

"But KTM's 990 SM-T is the winner. It does everything the others do, but better: steering, ride quality, stability, comfort, braking, and especially just having fun. It lights up every ride with the sheer pleasure of riding. It's not only the best bike here, but one of the best in almost any company."

I think they like it! :clap
    Benduro likes this.
  16. Davo-55

Davo-55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO the Duc will be better for 2 up riding. for everything else KTM baby!
  17. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    It's one of the better bikes for a taller rider. The MTS is not.

At 6-5, I put on pegs that are 1/2" lower. Almost perfect.
  18. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thx remember reading that and glad I have an SMT. I have about = miles on my SMT and S10 (just shy of 12,000). I like both but man that S10 is growing on me.
  19. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing cycle-ergo estimates it from pictures so it's only a rough approximation.
  20. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    every KTM I've owned are made for tall riders.....:1drink
    Benduro likes this.