I pad &garmin

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by hdog, Jul 1, 2012.

1. hdog

hdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to know if anyone has loaded there garmin via an iPad with oz topo and city . Untill recently I have always taken my windows notebook with me loaded with map source/ garmin city nav and oz topo, this alows me to plan my next days ride on the road and has worked extremely well, my notebook has blown a hard drive and was thinking of buying an I pad. I have been told I can't run map source through I pad withy garmin software. Can anyone expand on this please???
  2. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    You cannot run the mapsource or Basecamp applications on the iPad. The iPad (and iPhone) uses an operating system called iOS. The Garmin applications mentioned run only on the Windows (PC) and OSX (Mac) operating systems.

I recommend a Windows based Netbook ($180-299) if you feel you need these Garmin applications on the road, or a Macbook Air if you have the money ($900-1500).
  4. hdog

hdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your knowledge Daryl &Lhendrik you have confirmed what I thought may be the case....looks like a new hard drive is the go...
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind a smaller size (capacity) at greater cost, look into replacing the blown hard drive with a SSD. No moving parts, faster and lower power consumption.
  6. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have the same problem. i want to take my ipad with me on trips and plan routes and use the internet instead of my old macbook. searching the internet i found a way to tranfer gpx files from the ipad to a garmin gps

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mS34IHOd_WY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you would need a program to plan your routes and store them as gpx files.

hope this is useful
    josef
  7. jonpurdy

jonpurdy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found the iPad to be lacking on long trips. For photos, I couldn't geotag my SLR images with it. For maps, I couldn't transfer my Google maps to my Garmin.

I left my MacBook Air at home during my last trip but I think I'll bring it next time.
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    This additionally uses an Airstash wifi SD card reader/writer. The method of transferring information will work with some units, but not all, and you can only transfer GPX files - I don't think that Mapsource and Basecamp have been ported to the iPad.
  9. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    +1 : The Macbook Air may be the best overall solution to on the road computing. Solid state HD, lots of power, good battery life, great screen, light weight, can run WIndoze(!) if needed (ech!) runs Basecamp and photo/video editing easily. While I have lots of notebooks (too big), netbooks (too slow and cramped), an iPad ( good for reading, email, surfing) and a Macbook Pro (overkill and heavy) I will probably take a Macbook Air on next trip.

My extended family loves me, every time I have a new need someone gets a used laptop or gizmo to inherit.
  10. arizonagirl

arizonagirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'm so sorry , but 1923turkish hack team will be attack this site . I complained to the you
  11. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    A newer generation Netbook may be the best solution. You aren't faced with carrying a big over-priced laptop, you can have half a day of run time, and days of standby, and the small size means you can stil carry your iPad along with you.

..Tom
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If the above isn't what you were hoping for you might want to keep an eye on Garmin's website. . .

From the Press Release for the Garmin f&#275;nix:

So, no commitment to iOS and more specifically the iPad but maybe in my GPSing-lifetime.

Cheers,
  13. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I am unsure about the ability of the iPad to interface with USB devices, specifically a Garmin GPS. The USB interface is currently limited to keyboards, card readers, and a camera USB storage profile. I do not believe that iOS has support for end-user installed USB device profiles, which means even if there was a version of BaseCamp for iOS, it could not interface with a Garmin GPS.
  14. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    While we can't run Garmin Basecamp using an iPad, the newer generation Garmin gps's work well as a usb drive. Basecamp can be configured to run off the SDcard in the gps. This way if you're traveling without a Laptop or Netbook and need to create routes or tracks, all you need to do is find a computer, plug your USB or SD card into the computer and run BaseCamp from the storage device.

daryl
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    If you happen to be interested in Garmin's f&#275;nix GPS watch, you might have come across this cryptic pre-announcement:

Cheers,
  16. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Basecamp had been OK on the iPad I would have considered buying the iPad as travel companion - for sheer portability. I got tired of Garmin dragging their feet on the subject, so I went for the 11" Macbook Air instead. I got instant Basecamp functionality in the MBA and sure hope Garmin gets unstuck on their mobile platform gadget policy. There must be a huge market out there drooling for iPad/Garmin Basecamp compatibility. I guess Windows 8 will bring some new thinking in the corporate Garmin software policy too :deal
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I have always had the same concern re: USB but there may be other ways Garmin can move data between iOS devices and Garmin GPS's. From my forum question to the BaseCamp Team, it appears as though BaseCamp Mobile will only be iOS to start.

Cheers,
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    From what I know so far, it appears as though this app will have very little in common with BaseCamp other than in name. If that is the case, I think Garmin will have made almost as big a mistake as they did making the nuvifone.

Cheers,
  19. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    This simply isn't true. Apple provides various API's to communicate with other devices, over USB or Bluetooth or WiFi.

For example, my GPS app can connect with a bluetooth heart rate monitor and attach my heart rate to my GPX file (handy feature on the bicycle), and there are USB devices that let you interface with a car's ODB-II diagnostics port. For example:

mzl.rmwvvaho.480x480-75.jpg

Garmin can certainly integrate their GPS devices with an iPad. Some of their competitors have already done so (though none that I've seen so far do a good job).
  20. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which iOS app is that that interfaces with a USB OBD-II device?