Whatcha Workin on?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Deleted117609, Feb 22, 2012.

1. I had a nice unexpected sunny day to do whatever i wanted, what's it gonna be? If any of you are like me winter doldrums are cured by dreaming of rides upcoming this spring/summer/fall. I got a chance to have a garage day and took to working on my Dr650 and also my wifes ride, her CB550 she has had since college.

The plan was to mount the slipstream dual sport windshield i had purchased but never put on for one reason or another. I wanted it to fit in front of the stock numberplate and still be able to have the bag for the numberplate carry some stuff as well. The deflector will help with the wind buffeting at hwy speeds the most bikes experience. It is one of the things i want to upgrade before the nicer weather gets here.

Heres a pic of it installed, not to hard after some wrangling with the clamps. I think i'll like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next thing to get done was to do the carb swap i have been putting off for a long time on my wives Honda 550 vintage 1975. It has trashed carbs and i have had a set of replacements on the shelf for a while all cleaned and ready to go, but the idea of tearing into it was a little daunting as there are 4 of them. I guess that is what has been keeping me from actually doing it.
    After not too much trouble getting the old fuel lines and throttle cable unhooked and the old carbys came out.

[​IMG]

The new carbs slipped right in and buttoned up nicely. I did have to switch the fuel lines on the newer set as it had a tee and the old ones had two fuel lines going to the petcock. I forgot to hook up the throttle cable the first time so i had the honor of doing it twice. Heres a shot of the old girl after carb transplant surgery!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started up and ran pretty good for not being started for over a year. The old carbs would pop and sputter at speed and these new carbs were freshlly cleaned and were in good shape. I took a spin around the yard and driveway as my wife is really touchy about the way i ride her bike down the road. ??? It ran real good.
    The plan it to put around the back roads when it gets a little warmer for some day rides, it would be great to be out riding together.
    This is but a little of the prep i will do on the fleet for the riding year ahead. So there you have it.
    What are all you ff's working on to get ready for the riding season, new gear? tires? luggage, camp gear for your bike?
    Post it up, lets see it.
    See ya around the garage!!
  2. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    cool old Honda. that windscreen looks more like a feedramp to your face lol.. I noticed on my windscreen that the closest to vertical I could get it the better it worked.

monday...
    [​IMG]

waiting for my LHRB to come in now
  3. Yeah i was thinking that it may be too slanted so i might try to get it a little more vertical, might end up losing the numberplate sack though.
  4. Danodemotoman

Danodemotoman Have MC will ride

Oddometer:
    New to me '05 Concours. Low mileage @ 16k.
    Boring Beige:lol3
    First thing, pull all the fairing pieces, tail section etc off.
    Just had it painted same color as the 66 Fairlane GT project.
    Burnt Orange Metallic.
    Have many farkles to swap form the '01 Connie that has 142k mi and some new stuff from murphskits. First Conie a '98 put 125k mi on it. Help. I'm adicted!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
    After selling my KTM950 to get something a little lighter with easier maintenance I picked up this in the late fall.
    [​IMG]

First came the fork swap
    [​IMG]

Then I happend to stumble onto this bike convertion kit on ebay..

[​IMG]

Here's what I've been up to..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe I just ruined a prefectly nice BMW, but hopefully I've put together a bike with easy mainenece, smooth power and abouth 40 - 50 lbs lighter than stock. The small fuel tank isn't ideal , but hopefully with a little practice I'll be throughing this thing around like a dirt bike :D. I have today off and will be mouting up the knobby tires this morning, then maybe taking it out to test it's off road worthyness.
  6. Smedley

Smedley sshhh, don't tell my wife

Oddometer:
    Well.....I started with this:

[​IMG]

And now I got this:

[​IMG]

The plan is: Scott's triple and damper, front and rear suspension, brakes and rotors, chain and sprockets, second cooling fan, Fuzeblock, heated grips, EVO slave, battery and battery tender.....along with all the maintenance stuff (adjust valves, pumps, swingarm and head bearings...etc)

In a slight hold pattern now....can do the maint.....just gotta wait for word if I can do the upgrades :deal
  7. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for reminding me why I sold my KTM :D. What a fantastic machine to ride, but I had mine looking like this one too many times.
  8. redbastard

redbastard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed a Rekluse like this on my last bike. You'll love it in traffic and in the woods.
  9. I love that burnt orange look, should look nice on both those machines! I also love the 66 Fairlaine, had one right out of high school with the 390 big block what a blast!:clap
  10. Wow, you make my windshield install look like routine stuff! Major upgrade on that beast for sure.
  11. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris.. thats looking like your Honda turned blue.. :lol3..
  12. Mullet Bullet

Mullet Bullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    installed the new clarke tank

[​IMG]
  13. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing.
    Both bikes run great. :D
  14. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm working on thinking about installing the new chain i purchased on the F800, finish putting together the Norton Commando sitting on the lift and getting around to getting the steering stabilizer on the WR250R. Maybe this weekend!:rofl
  15. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe I just ruined a prefectly nice BMW, but hopefully I've put together a bike with easy mainenece, smooth power and abouth 40 - 50 lbs lighter than stock. The small fuel tank isn't ideal , but hopefully with a little practice I'll be throughing this thing around like a dirt bike :D. I have today off and will be mouting up the knobby tires this morning, then maybe taking it out to test it's off road worthyness.[/QUOTE]

FRIKKEN SWEET!
    no kidding,, what a great looking beemer! like it oughta been,, machine guns and rocket launchers,they'll look right a home on that bike!:clap
  16. Love that DRZ in super stealth black Mullet, Guns it sounds like you were working on an Orange thing but got it done, cool! I can't wait for the warmer weather for some more projects in action. :clap:clap:clap:clap
  17. Danodemotoman

Danodemotoman Have MC will ride

Oddometer:
    This is the GTA and in the 66 only came with the big block 390 , 67 GTA base engine was 289 with options for other engine(s)
    3 yr project and getting close to completion.

18. Gt automatic trans, very cool!! Mine was a 66 no GTA but it had a transplanted 390 and an auto trans, man that car hauled ass. I still think it was one of the best cars i have owned. I found a Fairlaine 500 in a field a while back with some front end damage 2dr hardtop 289 etc for 700, hmmm? Then reality kicked in and told me i do not want to do a major full resto like my Belvedere from 3-4 years ago. It looks like your at the figure out how everything goes back together mode! Good luck and can't wait to see it finished!:clap
  19. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice purple ride.. :clap
  20. Mullet Bullet

Mullet Bullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh and i wanted to learn to tig aluminum today at work and since i needed a bash plate for the trip tomorrow i made this. ive known how to MIG weld for years but since i got a job about 2 months ago as a architectural fabricator i learned how to tig stainless steel and mild steel. today i taught myself aluminum which is MUCH harder but that just makes it more fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i will add a couple more pieces to stiffen it up and add more protection but not bad for only 2 hours start to finish.