User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
davidmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Daytona Gore-Tex Boots in Hot Weather?

I am ready to buy some new boots soon, and I am strongly considering the Daytona boots, specifically the Road Star GTX model, the waterproof boot with the Gore-Tex lining.

Next year I plan on doing some extensive riding in very hot tropical and desert locations and I am concerned that this boot may be a bit uncomfortable in the heat. Would this boot be any hotter than the regular Road Star model without the Gore-Tex? Or would the benefits of waterproofing outweigh any discomfort in the heat?

I know many on this site love the Daytona boots, so I would appreciate some opinions on how these are in hot weather, humid and dry. The Daytona Road Star GTX is the only boot I have found which comes in a narrow size to fit my narrow foot. It sure seems like a great boot.
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:46 AM   #2
gschimmy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Howdy Dave !

I use the Tans Open GTX from Daytona from 1996 till now and I think they`re great boots. Still waterproof and no big damage. And Daytona has a good Service . It`s a german company, any questions?! ......back to your question

I used them in Italy under hot conditions and I can say there`s no difference to another motorcycle boot.
If it`s hot outside, it`s hot inside the boot, if you haver Goretex or not.
But if it`s raining the boots are dry inside and your feet can "breathe".

The boot has not the same protection a cross boot has, but you`ve a good protection.

So for touring it`s one of the best.

regards

Georg

gschimmy screwed with this post 07-29-2004 at 03:58 AM
gschimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:24 AM   #3
CA Dreaming
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Re: Daytona Gore-Tex Boots in Hot Weather?

ANY Gore-Tex boot will be warmer than a non-Gore-Tex boot. I have found this to be true for both my hiking boots as well as riding boots.

I used to own both a pair regular Daytonas and a pair of BMW Gore-Tex boots for riding. The Daytonas were my preference for local riding in good weather but the BMWs were my boot of choice any time the weather turned cool and/or there was any chance of rain. I always wore the BMW boots on long trips and suffered though hot weather for the convience of not having to carry a waterproof over-boot. Light weight socks helped a lot when wearing the Gore-Tex boot in hot weather.
CA Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:00 AM   #4
iillyyaa
Adwrenchurer!

Oddometer: 2,420
I wore my Daytona Roadstar GTX on our last trip to Spain and Portugal, and my wife wore hers. We were there during last summer's heat-wave, and did about 2000 miles in about one week. I think that's approximately the kind of conditions that you are asking about, right?

Wearing the Daytonas was not exactly comparable to sticking you feet in the fridge. But having said that, I still think they were great, given the circumstances. They do breathe, and so while on the bike I didn't have any prespiration problems. They are also VERY comfortable for walking, but then if you walk too much in them in hot weather, your feet do tend to sweat more. No surprise there.

I own a pair of Roadstar/GTX's, a pair of TransOpen/GTX's, and a pair of EvoSports for track use. They are expensive, but they are also worth it. After having experimented with a few other brands and models in varying conditions, I am now a convinced proselytizing fan of the Daytonas, and for that reason you might want to take my recommendation with a grain of salt. However, the fact that my wife (aka. "princess and the pea") wears her Roadstars on all our trips is probably the best testament to their comfort.

+2¢
--
Ilya
'02 Suzuki SV650 CCS/LRRS #760 Expert
iillyyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,657
I've been wearing my GTX's during my current trip, which has included some pretty warm weather. Apart from a springing a leak in the left boot (fixed under warranty), they've behaved flawlessly and are comfortable in all weathers and temperatures.

Sticking your feet into a calf length leather boot in hot weather is never going to be as good as wearing sandals - but I'd thoroughly rcommend Daytonas as an all weather boot...

Mike
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
spacemanvt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Do these boots stretch across the vamp? (top and sides of the boot where it curves)
I tried some on in store and 45 was definitely my size but it was a bit snug in that area........
spacemanvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
I have the non-GTX version. They are a little warm (for me) even without the Goretex and I'm sure they'd be even hotter with it. The Roadstars are great boots, but they could be considered a bit over-engineered with layers of leather, Velcro, armor and 2 different zippers.

EDIT:
Jeezus, I just realized that I responded in a ten year old thread! Now I'd be curious to know what the OP decided.

Mr. B screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 04:17 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #8
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 686
Maybe it depends on the rider's own foot. My Gore-Tex boots all feel warmer that the regular boots. In 90 degree plus temps I need to stop at mid-day and remove the Gore boots for a few minutes to dry the sweat. In my experience the membrane cannot move enough moisture relative to what I put out.

When we started we designed tons of stuff for winter sports (hence the Fleece name) and found several of our testers could "wet out" waterproof/breathable membranes from the inside during extreme activity and outside conditions of heat/humidity and such.

Every membrane has a rate of moisture transfer. The rest is physics. This is a VERY simplified answer and the actual numbers are all avail. on the web if you wish to look.
The short answer is you'll know when you know, which is when you try it for yourself. Others experience will help as a general guide.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #9
Norduro
Thumping

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc View Post
Next year I plan on doing some extensive riding in very hot tropical and desert locations and I am concerned that this boot may be a bit uncomfortable in the heat. Would this boot be any hotter than the regular Road Star model without the Gore-Tex? Or would the benefits of waterproofing outweigh any discomfort in the heat?
Daytona has a number of boots that were specially designed for use in mid to hot temperatures, take a look at them if you have not already done so. The following models feature perforated leather to allow for somewhat better airflow when riding: Spirit GTX, Burdit XCR and Journey XCR. They are still fully waterproof.
I have the Journey XCR (a short boot) and it worked well in summer (which is 77 to 95F here).

Norduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:42 AM   #10
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norduro View Post
Daytona has a number of boots that were specially designed for use in mid to hot temperatures, take a look at them if you have not already done so. The following models feature perforated leather to allow for somewhat better airflow when riding: Spirit GTX, Burdit XCR and Journey XCR. They are still fully waterproof.
I have the Journey XCR (a short boot) and it worked well in summer (which is 77 to 95F here).
I have used the EVO Sports in temps of 45deg C

Mali, Mauritania and the Western Sahara with no issues

These places are bone dry though.

Kept the cold water off my feet two weeks later in Northern France/Germany/Austria at 8 deg C.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,438
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...-gore-tex-boot

Have been using these for a few years riding in western summer heat and summer rainstorms.
Highly recommended.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
My feet don't fit daytona's So I will just add my personal preference.

I don't like gore-tex lined boots. They wear too hot when it's hot out and you can't waterproof the leather or they leather won't breath and the sweat in your boot doesn't get to the outside.

On top of that the gore tex liner often fails for long before the outer boot is done.

I like full grain leather boots with replaceable soles sized just slightly up. If its raining, or looks like it will be a wet day. I will wear more gore tex socks.
This gives me the most flexibility with regards to footwear.
But then I live in SoCal where it's mostly moderate to very little humidity and hardly ever rains