Mapsource to Google Earth

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DeSoto, Feb 5, 2007.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I searched the site and saw the Google to mapsource conversions. I have not tried that yet. I was wanting to plan trips from home and watch it on google. I was able to rubber band paths on to Google and follow it, but I am sure you can load route on to it too. The info I came across was about loading tracks, not routes.

I am sure it is on here somewhere, I didn't find it though. Could some one please direct me to the correct spot?

I see where Garmin talks about the motion based software. Anybody try that?
  2. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not try the option in Mapsource under the view menu? It's "view in google earth". It launches google earth and imports the data from the currently opened mapsource file. Pick a track or route and do the fly by.
    I'm using mapsource 6.11.6.
  3. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    when i try to view a route in google earth via the dropdown in mapsource (v 6.11) it only shows a straight line. So as a way around i use the trackdraw function to trace the route in mapsource-then view in google earth-there may be abetter way but ...
  4. Python423

Python423 TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer:
    my pull down google earth view quit working long time ago with updates I took from googleearth or mapsource. You can save your track/waypoints in .gpx format then use gpsbabel to convert it to .KML then open that with GoogleEarth.
  5. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    That happened with some of the versions of the Google earth 4 beta. Final version out now works fine.
  6. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, with a routable mapset, mapsource only needs the start and finish than it calculates the route to use. If you have added viapoints, I think they will show, but the route will still be jagged.

I really only use it to display my tracks so I can see where I've been an fly over the track.
  7. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have City Nav 8 on my new 478. When I view using Google earth,
    It kicks out a loooong ways and just travels straight lines from point to point.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I
  9. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C
  10. mreimler

mreimler Adventure Crasher

Oddometer:
    I think Google Earth will only see the Start and End of MapSource ROUTES but a MapSource TRACK will show up as an ''accurate'' path in Google Earth.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured out how to make GE fly down the path you travel.

Create a route, use the route tool creating points close together. The closer together, the better it follows the road.
    When the route is done, click view in GE plus. The route will loaded in the places section. Go to the top tabs and click on tools, then options. Once there, click on the Touring tab. The settings I have there are:
    Fly to speed...2.3780
    Tour speed....0.6480
    Tour pause.... 0
    Camera tilt angle.... 67
    camera range.......900
    speed .... 162
    Apply settings and then OK
    There should be a line in the places area that says GPS device
    Under it it will give date created
    on down the list boxes checked on will be...
    tracks,routes, and points
    all the points listed underneath are checked on too
    highlight the line that said gps device created..
    then scroll clear down to the bottom off the points and there will be a box that brackets the above stuff, labeled path with the path icon.
    Just above the layers box is where the "start tour" button is. Hit the start tour button and the tour starts following the road just like we want it to. To the left of the start button is the tranparency slider. Slide to the left and the colored line disappears and all you see is the road.

It worked for me.

You can view a track the same way. The via points are close enough in a track.