Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    I don't want to jam it, I want to shut the car, and the phone off. Even the guys big ugly watch.

It would be nice if people could get the idea into their own heads that doing anything other than driving, while driving is bad. Speaking of which, saw two girls riding bicycles the other day.
    Yeah, both were texting.

Remember when the phone company counted text messages?:lol3

NSA servers would explode. "... Hey Murph, this guy is supposed to be working right? Well, he's texting some hooker in Bangkok and pricing espresso machines, and streaming Kenny G. I think we better put a watch on him!":poser
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Everyone's special....rules don't apply to them.
  3. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Ah yes the window-licker rule.:rofl
  4. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the language- I know this isn't jomamma but man - this is tough.

Maria Parker is out of RAAM - one of her support vehicles was rear-ended near Tuba City AZ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For someone - anyone - to have worked so hard, invested so much time and effort only to have it all nullified by someone's negligence is a crying shame. Yes - accidents occur but nearly every accident can be prevented.

I'm so sorry that it ended this way for all the Parkers and their support team and I'm happy that everyone is relatively unharmed - only bumps, bruises and a chipped tooth to Maria's son.

I can't tell if this was 89 or 160. Our brevet group has US 89 on a 600-km. This is the one main route out of Flagstaff going north. Tuba City is off of 160 - again, the only route in that area. I flat-out refuse to ride either of them on a bicycle - too dangerous in either direction and as this incident has shown, even a vehicle with lights, flags, etc isn't immune.
  5. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Ugh. I saw that on FB. Be careful out there, kids. That just sucks. She was riding to raise money for brain cancer. If my fundraising instincts are right, this might actually help her raise money, I hate to say. I like that she has a text number to donate $10 to her cause. That's freaking awesome. But it still sucks that she's out. The recumbent she has is pretty sweet.

I'm heading out to the Sierras for a couple days of altitude camp in a couple hours. :clap
  6. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Be careful man.
  7. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    MARIA PARKER OUT OF THE RACE
    By Vic Armijo
    June 14, 2013
    Pagosa Springs, Colorado

Maria Parker had been having a good race. Her pace was going well, she wasn't far behind Kathy Roche-Wallace and she hadn't encountered any problems—that is until a motorist who was reportedly texting crashed into the back of her follow van outside of Tuba City, Arizona. Word is that fortunately none of her crew members were seriously hurt, but the same can't be said of her back-up bikes that were on the back of the vehicle; the were crushed. With her equipment destroyed along with the morale of her crew Parker had no choice than to pack it in.

This is a heart-breaking end to an inspiring effort, “My sister was diagnosed with brain cancer back in October and I decided that I wanted to do something that would make a difference,” Parker related back in Oceanside, “Race Across America is the biggest platform that I have available to me with the skills that I have. We decided to do RAAM and raise a million dollars for brain cancer research.”We're hoping that during RAAM we'll raise a lot and then we'll just keep on going. I've got a team of young people helping me on this. We're really using social media a lot. My nephews did 'Drive Across America' a couple of weeks ago. They drove this route to raise money. We've got Facebook, Twitter, the website is 3000MilesToACure.com. And we have a Text To Give number. If you text the word 'Race' to 20222 you can make a ten dollar donation. And essentially that's what we're looking for—we want 100,000 ten dollar donations. We hope that when people think about cancer and want to do something that this will be an easy way for people to give.”
  8. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    How does one rearend something like that? Asleep?

Glad nobody was hurt. Crazy people out there on the roads.

Anyway in!:thumb

9. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Donated, thanks for the link and information!
  10. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Several having mentioned texting but I'm not sure if that's been confirmed.

Here's the area:

[​IMG]

I've driven these roads many, many times over the last 18 years and about half the time, I see accidents. I'm not sure if it's boredom, speed, alcohol or what but these are dangerous roads.

Here's another update from FB:

WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS! Maria wants to get back on the bike and finish what we've started. In the next couple of hours, the crew will meet and outline exactly what we need to make this happen!

Due to damage to the vehicle and destruction of equipment, we can no longer officially participate in RAAM but we are still going to do what we set out to do. We are all so overwhelmed by the incredible outpouring of love and support from all of you. This is the power of WE. And WE have the power to end brain cancer.

Like I mentioned, Maria and Jim Parker are good people.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Man! This working thing is REALLY getting in the way of my riding!

:bluduh

I'm gonna have to figure something out. ...Like... Get up early?! *gasp!* Have I told y'all how allergic to mornings I am?!

M
  12. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Maria back on her bike and her DNF and been removed. She's back in the race!
  13. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:

Yea, having a job really kills amount of time you can ride,Wait till winter gets here it'll be worse
  14. vermane

vermane dog

Oddometer:
    does anyone here ride a bmx?
    earlier this year two mates and myself rode bmx's from christ church to queenstown.
    [​IMG]
    set our bikes up like this.
    [​IMG]
    unpacked haha.
    [​IMG]
  15. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    The heat and humidity was dreadful this morning. Had to pack it in after a short ride. :cry Maybe I'll try again this evening.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/60514890/embed/4d25b348c641ac5adc35612e45fa1e5476994fd1'></iframe>
  16. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Beautiful here :clap

p.s. Told ya :D
  17. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Perfect here too! Much more respectable ride for me today. I don't feel like a schmuck participating in the thread now. :D
    <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/60505396/embed/7aa1e29e65fbbb81072868e58b468e7ec56243f2'></iframe>

Yes, I did wuss out and go around most of the hills, but the great tail wind that helped push me further north than I counted on going made me pay for it on the return journey. :umph
    Two pb&j's at the halfway point, and I broke down and stopped for a bottle of gatorade 10 miles from home. At one point, I was thinking of seeing if the wife would be willing to pull sag duty and come fetch me if I made another loop to the north, which would have made it a century, but decided even with the tail wind going that way, I didn't feel I had it in me. Longest ride I've ever done. :clap
  18. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Nice one Matt.
    I'm going for a short ride today, I'll see how it goes, then try for a little longer tomorrow.
    Got sidetracked this morning out to breakfast with the wife, then shopping at the hardware store.
    Project planning, has taken the rest of the day so far.
    Need to the OK from management to move to the next step.
  19. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Spent the morning doing home remodeling selections. We did go to the gym and I did an easy elliptical workout. I'll be up early and do an easy 45 miles or so before it gets too hot.
  20. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:

:fitz:ken