Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Best thing I learned with respect to riding dirt is to go at my own pace. Everyone I ride with is better than me and once I accepted that and rode my own pace (which they are all fine with - I'm not that much slower) I enjoyed it so much more. Trying to keep up with others and bashing my brains out sucked...
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea what the windscreen setup is on the Husky?
  3. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    You're right but you don't have that sense of achievement by doing it on the DRZ because you're expected to whizz up there.
  4. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Mud/dirt colour is always the best colour.:deal
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    The DrySpec bags were packed with the lighter stuff -- clothes, camping gear, etc -- while the heavier stuff like tools, cooking gear, and so on lived in the Wolfman panniers. And I put the CJ Designs rack into its rearmost position so that I could still remove the pillion seat if I needed to get to something underneath it... which I did a couple times.

Also, I ended up needing to carry an additional gas can on the pillion seat for my buddy on his DR-Z400.
    [​IMG]

And I just don't like the feeling of having stuff press up against my back, so I would not want the large DrySpec bag on the pillion seat. Next trip I might put the smaller one there instead of on top of the larger one; we'll see.

The luggage and gas did make the bike a bit top-heavy, but not too bad.

--mark
  6. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    That's ADV inmate johngil on his TE630. I have one too. When the bike was brand new I loaned it to TCI Products USA to use for prototype accessory items, windshield brackets, skidplate, cargo and pannier racks, headlight guard, and mastercylinder guard. https://tciproductsusa.com

Here's a close-up of that windshield on mine.

[​IMG]

Fully adventurized TE630 (sorry for the thread-jack :wink: ) I didn't use the TCI pannier racks on mine, opting for Dirtbagz instead. This one has seen a LOT of miles now. It goes where the Tiger can't, but the Tiger is SO much nicer to ride over long distance.

[​IMG]
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh wow! Thanks, for all that.

While demo riding the 800, I got to looking at a TE250 and talking about the new 650s coming down the line. I thought if only I could get a Husky to be more distance-worthy, I might just keep my Tiger 1050. I do have KLR lust, but, want something that's lighter and the 800 could fill both roles. Considered a WRR, too. My buddy has a TE310 and 640 Adventure, so I'll have to see what the future holds. Thanks, again. :thumb
  9. fmunson

fmunson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check your inbox for a PM with details. Ebay link which some may consider spam, spam and more spam
    :lol3
  10. browneye

Oddometer:
    Man, you're all over the board there. You need to ride some of those on your list, that would probaby help you take some off your shortlist. Especially the KLR. Nothing screams noob louder than a KLR. And they are REALLY slowwwwww.

The TE250 is a great trailbike for a smaller rider. For the same bike with a little more poop, the TE310 or KTM350.

One of the best plated dirtbikes ever made is the KTM 450EXC. Even as far back as '01, they are great bikes. But they are a plated dirtbike, not an over the road bike.

The TE630 will do lots of miles, on and offroad, but not with the comfort of the 800XC. I didn't buy 800 with the thought of doing a lot of dirt with it, certainly not with the husky in the garage as well.

The 640 is also a very good dualsport, better for road than the lighter bikes. The 690 is very good too, but too many problems with them for my taste. Some guys will put up with all that finicky BS. Same for the 990 - great bike, too fussy for me. There are just too many problems with KTM EFI. The tiger OTH, is super smooth.
  11. spewler

spewler Not (w)reckless

Oddometer:
    markbvt, how do you like the DrySpec bags, how long have you had them, and how are they holding up? I bought the Twisted Throttle tail bag in June of 2011 and it is already starting to fall apart.
  12. browneye

Oddometer:
    Ortlieb. Cheap, good, huge variety of sizes. Did I say they cost less than the 'brands'?
    The roll-tops are really watertight. But they have the duffel styles too. BTW, we have a line on the latter stye, new company, half the $$.
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the roll top design on those, but they don't have the bullet proof design that Kriega has. Love mine!
  14. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's official, I'm old. I just installed some highway pegs and I like it!

I did a shake down run today and the pegs are rather comfy.

These are from Rivco Products INC. There wasn't a large selection in the 1" tube mount. 1 1/4" seems to be the popular crash.....er engine guard size.

I liked these because of the black powder coating and they even have anti-vibration rubber inserts!

Lots of adjustment possibilities.

[​IMG]
  15. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a rolling advert for Wolfman luggage!
    I've had the tail bag for a year and it did well so.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Vzuke

Vzuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to removing the U lock bosses from inside the "trunk".

I used a Dremel cut off wheel and sanding wheel to take it down as close as I could.
    Then I used a razor blade to shave the remainder off.
    Be careful to keep the blade level so it doesn't bite too deep into the fender.

[​IMG]
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    A Kriega tool roll and a set of two tire irons + a rag fit perfectly in that space:

[​IMG]
  18. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I put on. As you say, not a lot of choice (the triumph engine bars are less than 1" actually). And they don't extend far enough to be really comfortable, but they do add a nice change up for positions on long rides, no regrets, pretty cheap.

19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    How did you mount them? I just checked in the garage and I'm not certain where I would mount them on the Triumph bars so that I could actually use them properly.
  20. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock handguards don't offer much in the way of weather protection, and I haven't found any "spoilers" or extensions for the factory ones.
    The bike has a Kaoko throttle lock installed and I was wondering if there are any other handguards (Barkbusters, touratech, etc) that will work with the Koako and give better protection in a blizzard?